MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This Tuesday 29th, I and 7 other friends are off to Santander in Spain via ship from the UK with our bikes and then we begin a 5 day road trip taking in Spain, the Pyrenees, The Millau Bridge in France, Le Mans and many other stunning sites before returning to the UK on the 3rd June....
I pray for just two things....Dry weather and cool weather. If I have both of those I, or should I say my bike should be happy!

Wish me luck.....please!! :f4:

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think they should actually put a RADWELD bottle sized space under ther seat on all MVs as its only a matter of time before u need some ay guts lol
I bought some radweld today and it says it can go in straight away for year round protection and it keeps the radiator 'corrosion free' too!! So I'll add some later today so the protection is already there should it need it.
Thanks for the tip Woodster! :yo:

·
King of Bling
9,809 Posts
I bought some radweld today and it says it can go in straight away for year round protection and it keeps the radiator 'corrosion free' too!! So I'll add some later today so the protection is already there should it need it.
Thanks for the tip Woodster! :yo:
Dan.. My advice is don't put into the system unless you need it. By all means take some with you on the trip just in case it's required, but unless you get a leak, don't add it to the cooling system for now.

Just my 2 cents worth..

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Dan.. My advice is don't put into the system unless you need it. By all means take some with you on the trip just in case it's required, but unless you get a leak, don't add it to the cooling system for now.

Just my 2 cents worth..

Yeah agree ad when needed as it will block up some channels poss I added some on my first rad that popped then spent ages flushing cleaning system for new rad

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Just got home from my 1400 mile 5 day Spain/France road trip on my MV Agusta F4 1000R and besides a sore butt, I had an incredible time and the bike performed faultessly. Went to Santander in Spain, Pamplona in Spain (where the bulls run through the streets), over the Pyrenees, (incredible!) Toulouse, The Millau Bridge,(amazing) Le Mans for the 24hr practice weekend, Normandy Beaches and back home... Not a single drop of rain, 29 degree sun everyday, The best roads I've ever ridden, 5 of the funniest mates I know and just one of the best holidays I've ever had...More photos tomorrow!
The bike temp averaged 86 degrees C when riding around 85 mph except when stuck at lights when it would go up to 100C + (once hit 116C and started flashing) I then would turn off the engine as soon as I stopped and never saw the temp go over 100C. Besides some rare high engine temps which isn't surprising considering it was hot, sunny and 29 degrees C every single day, the bike performed brilliantly and did me, and MV proud!!
If anyone was considering a high mileage tour on a F4, I would recommend doing the following first -
1) Buy an air seat ( inflatable padded seat cover which supports your butt under a cushion of air bubbles and would have made the journey totally painless)
2) Lower the seat unit as much as you can (reduces weight on your wrists and puts you in a more upright position whilst handling is still acceptable)
3) Fit GotoJoe's radiator support bar ( I had no issues with the common radiator cracking problem)
4) Fit a manual fan switch or turn off the engine as soon as you have to stop for traffic or lights.
5) Check oil and coolant levels before you go
6) Don't tighten your chain too tight (I had no hub issues to report)

I was getting 150 miles to a tank (inc. reserve), keeping speed to an average 80mph

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts