MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the MCN feature on Cal Crutchlow's move to Ducati in 2014 ......of course 'Foggy' has his say! ..,along with some others.
Cal gets £6M for his 'trouble'.....
Enjoy the article....:smoking:
Cheers
Brian:)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Herve's comment at the end about Dovi and Cal's riding style is interesting, sounds a bit like a certain person who did better than most on the Ducati?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Cal's riding style is all about corner entry and front end feel. Both of them are just awful on the Ducati and will prevent Cal from running at the front. Ducati is likely the last place Cal will ride in MotoGP and that's a shame since he is a contender on other machines. Oh well, at least I can look forward to him riding and winning in World SBK in a couple of years.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Well I'm going to be optimistic. Everyone's saying its the worst move he could have made, well I say staying at Tech3, if that was even an option, (with what would have been offered) was the worst he could do. He has got a full Factory ride and as No.1 rider, if what I read is true. It maybe the worst factory at the moment but when there are only 3 factory teams in the series that's still a pretty big deal. He'll also get a free R8 so I'm jealous already :laughing:

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
:laughing: I can imagine him saying to the Ohlins technician "I know you guys are good but trust me, you ain't that good"

·
Registered
342 Posts
I wonder if he will be so ''vorsprung durch technik'' when he has a ride on it!!.....I still have images of Dovi's face after his fist ride:jsm:
Brian:)
Those pictures are too telling.

Ducati needs to stop wasting time and redo the entire chassis. Move the engine up towards the front end to put more weight on it.

·
Super Moderator
22,334 Posts
Neal, are you a design engineer? I suppose you have ridden that beast,too...so you know of which you speak.

I wish Cal well...it will be interesting to watch.

·
Super Moderator
22,334 Posts
Yes, I suppose, to be fair, Neil's posts are quite intelligent and informative. I just have a hard spot with folks who "know" how to fix a "problem" with which they have no real world experience. Sometimes that gets the better of me.

Neil, I meant you no ill will.

Ducati has had some of the best riders in the world give them feedback on what they feel needs to be done and us "mere mortals" can only speculate. I know what the theoretical effect of moving the power plant forward in the chassis may do, but the laws of unintended consequences usually rear their ugly heads right about the time you think you have it whipped.

It will be interesting to see how CC fairs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
All the best

I wish him all the best. It would be good to see Ducati take the title. But they do have a hard team to be part of and not known to make bike adjustments per riders inputs. Second best to the Germans, " it's the rider, not the bike". BobL.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I have never Ridden the MotoGP bike by Ducati and even if I had, I SUCK so I can't say anything. With the exception of Stoner no other rider has riden the Ducati well. Ducati constantly finished behind most other Factory bikes and bearly finishes in front of the CRT bikes.

With that being said.

I wish Cal best of luck on the Ducati Factory ride. I hope he rides as well or better than he has been riding the Yamaha Tech3.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
I do hope you guys realise that the bike Cal will be riding has almost nothing in common with the beast that made Casey LEAVE Ducati GP, or any other Duccity going around at the moment.
I hope Cal pull's his neck in and has life left in his body to beat Dovi at least, on the Audi version.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I do hope you guys realise that the bike Cal will be riding has almost nothing in common with the beast that made Casey LEAVE Ducati GP, or any other Duccity going around at the moment.
I hope Cal pull's his neck in and has life left in his body to beat Dovi at least, on the Audi version.
so what you're saying is that all Cal will have to do is beat Andrea?
Why go to a two bike race?

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
so what you're saying is that all Cal will have to do is beat Andrea?
Why go to a two bike race?
Unfortunately, that would be his first target, since last time they where team mate's, Dovi beat Cal .
And hopefully by that time Suzuki will be fighting for the 8/9th positions in the pack.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
When I first heard Crutchlow was making the move to Ducati, I thought? WHY?? He is doing so well with Tech3 why go compete for 8th?

·
Registered
842 Posts
When I first heard Crutchlow was making the move to Ducati, I thought? WHY?? He is doing so well with Tech3 why go compete for 8th?

Because, quite simply, there was nowhere for him at Yamaha.

Yamaha have Lorenzo and Rossi on the works bikes already contracted for 2014. Tech3 have Smith already contracted for 2014, and Yamaha had already signed a letter of intent with Espargaro for a Yamaha satelite ride in 2014 - 4 bikes, 4 riders, no space for Cal. Honda have Marquez, Pedrosa, Bradl & Bautista all in the middle of their contracts - nowhere for Cal. CRT or Ducati were the only options ....

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Reading between the lines it sounds like Cal may have had an option to stay at Tech3 but it would have meant Bradley's contract being terminated and he wasn't prepared to do that to him. It also would have been another contract with Tech3 and not with Yamaha.

I think what he would have liked would have been a contract with Yamaha to ride a full factory bike but within the Tech 3 team and that wasn't going to happen.

·
Registered
643 Posts
This is not a match made in heaven and not a smart move on Ducati's behalf.

No offense to the Brits, but Crutchlow is not in the top league and not an asset comparable to a Rossi when Ducati was able to lock him in 3 years ago.
Add to that the fact that the guy always complains (I bet it will take all of 2 weeks after joining before he vents to the press), has zero fan appeal (he's got this mad look in his eyes) and seems to attract conflict, so from a Ducati brand protection point of view he is a walking liability.
What they need is a positive rider who helps them back on a path to success, not somebody who will sit on the sidelines critisizing.
Why did they ever sign him ?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Obviously being British I'm going to have to take you up on a couple of your points :laughing:

If he's not even in the top league then why is he 5th in the championship only behind the factory Yamaha's and Honda's and in front of the satellite Honda's who reputedly get far greater support from HRC than Tech3 do from Yamaha?

Also Ducati aren't exactly top league at the moment are they so who do you think their going to attract to ride their bike? If it was any good they'd still have Rossi

I agree Rossi is a marketing dream but that no doubt comes at a cost and you can be pretty sure it's a lot more than Crutchlow? While we're on that subject what exactly does Rossi return for you. David Beckham would sell football shirts but you go to a motogp race do you see fans wearing Yamaha or Ducati shirts? No you see them wearing yellow ones with 46 on them? Rossi is a brand in himself fans don't care what he's riding.

As for Ducati's brand protection, they are doing a perfectly good job of ruining that without the help of any riders opinions or personalities.

Yes Cal does speak his mind, no different to Stoner or Doohan or Sheene, all multiple world champions and Pedrosa's not exactly Mr Charisma is he?
Most of Cal's moaning has been directed at Yamaha for the lack of support, it's not as if the parts weren't there, they just weren't being made available to Tech3, despite him out qualifying and beating Rossi in the races during the early part of the season, if that was me it would p*ss me off too, that and he may have known that Yamaha had signed a letter of 1intent with Espargaro right from the first race?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts