MV Agusta Forum banner
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
This discussion and its various iterations are most interesting but a little confusing. It seems to me that irrespective of what some report or other says, there will be another that will contradict it soon enough. Supercharging; a new F4; going racing; now they are, now they aren't. It seems like a game.

What exactly is a new F4, as lovely and timeless as it would undoubtedly be, going to achieve? As that little Swedish sheilah said, so much blah blah.

A summary of some of the salient points:
  1. The market for sports bike is very limited
  2. R&D costs for a new F4 would be very high
  3. The cost of a new F4 would be prohibitive for most people
  4. If MV produce a rocket then Honda (or one of the Japanese manufacturers) will probably drop the price of their Fireblade, and the the others will follow, until one or all of them produce something faster
  5. The life expectancy of in/out motors is very limited given what is happening in the world.
I don't see that racing, or a new F4, is of any real consequence. The idea might make some people feel good, for reasons unclear, but will it help MV survive? I would like MV to be around so that they can continue to produce parts for the bikes we already have for as long as it is reasonable and legal to ride them. Spending huge amounts of Euros on a dick swinging contest in a field that has clearly run its course is, at best, highly speculative, and at worst, suicidal.

I would like my first electric bike to be an MV thanks.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Wouldn’t hold your breath for another F4 in our lifetimes, irrespective of technology or power plant.
Yes there are wonderful designers and engineers out there but where is the commercial patronage that would enable the spending of 60k design hours on a single machine devoid of accounting compromise.
When asked about the most difficult part of the Apollo missions the paper clip carrying steely eyed German missile man stated ‘the will to do it’ because once you have the will, the passion the need, everything else follows.
The infinite typewriter theory suggests there will be another great artist like Tambourini and there may well be visionary patrons that support their craft. Will those stars ever align, yes but probably not again in our brief arc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wouldn’t hold your breath for another F4 in our lifetimes, irrespective of technology or power plant.
Yes there are wonderful designers and engineers out there but where is the commercial patronage that would enable the spending of 60k design hours on a single machine devoid of accounting compromise.
When asked about the most difficult part of the Apollo missions the paper clip carrying steely eyed German missile man stated ‘the will to do it’ because once you have the will, the passion the need, everything else follows.
The infinite typewriter theory suggests there will be another great artist like Tambourini and there may well be visionary patrons that support their craft. Will those stars ever align, yes but probably not again in our brief arc.
Appreciate and agree with every word. Well put Sir.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts