MV Agusta Forum banner

May Have Lost Engine

5K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  theknurl 
#1 ·
2007 F41000R with only 12k miles on it. Been gently used for the past 6 years that I've owned it. Rode to work today and while coming home on the interstate, rolling around 80 mph the engine suddenly died. Didn't hear anything particularly bad but I didn't have my earplugs in so the wind noise pretty much blocked everything. Waited 3 hours for AAA to arrive with one of their nifty motorcycle-only recovery trucks. Got home and first thing I checked was the fuel pump and hoses. Everything looks good: pump cycles and shuts off, no fuel pumping around inside the tank. All gauges and electrics appear normal and the engine cranks but won't fire and also sounds a little funny when cranking. Afraid I lost the cam chain but with such a low mileage motor plus the upgraded cam chain tensioner done by the previous owner it seems strange.

Any advice/tips will be appreciated. I'll start investigating tomorrow but with another bike on my lift table undergoing an engine rebuild, I'll be limited to what I can do with the bike on the ground.

Day started out great and ended up sucking big time!

Eric

See less See more
#3 ·
Greetings Eric,

First, check the usual, your engine is most likely fine.

1. battery age and strength
2. clean terminal and engine grounding point
3. side stand switch

Questions to ask yourself regardless
1. Fuel line age
2. Injector line age
3. Fuel filter age/miles
4. Clean fuel pump screen
5. Pull, inspect and reseat all your fuses

#5 · (Edited)
Well, I would think the rattle of the cam chain would bring you to write about that first and not the that you have lights. Odd noise, Ummm it would be greater than an odd noise to end up finding the aftermath in your oil. A slapping chain most likely would have been heard at the start of your ride before a catastrophic moment occurred with munched metal bits. Keep in mind 'most' mv engines crank and start rather quickly. When they don't one can tune into noises as trouble but in reality, most likely, they are normal cranking noises. A clear rattle is not normal. A whine is not normal. If the mod was made by someone lacking skills and understanding well then... yea drain that oil. Anyway, you have some checking to do.

Adding this relating to cam:
https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/13-brutale-b4/23843-help-brutale-wont-start.html#post278418

#6 ·
A quick update: I haven't been able to do much checking but I can say that when cranking there aren't any funny noises coming from the engine but it does seem to spin fast. Of course since it normally starts right away I don't have a baseline for comparison. Also, all electrics function normally: sidestand light and everything else. Could be ignition related since the fuel pump is operating normally. I'll start checking fuses soon.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to do much else until I get the bike up on my lift table. Bad knees won't allow me to work down low these days!

I've read the threads about the cam sprockets shearing their retaining bolts and am hoping that's not my problem. I'd think there would be some serious noise coming from the motor when cranking if this were the problem but not having experienced it before I could be wrong.

Thanks for the support and advice.

Eric

#8 ·
Before you do anything brash.... pull the pump out and check the hoses. What you experienced (sudden power loss while cruising) is exactly what happened to me one day...and it was the fuel hose coming off the pump. Hard to really tell by just looking into the gas cap.

#10 · (Edited)
Definitely sounds like an electric problem to me. Unfortunately they can be some of the hardest to diagnose. I’m not familiar with the MV but from experience with other bikes It sounds like it’s getting fuel so I would be looking at sensors, ignition and safety cut off switches such as side stand switch etc as they trigger ignition inhibitors which would cut the engine out. I’d also be checking coil pack wiring and ht leads for secureness in the first instance, then check the coil packs are receiving a signal and ignition fuses.) do you have an alarm/immob fitted? Could be playing up, it’s not uncommon.

Good luck
Nito

#11 ·
Definitely sounds like the fuel hose on the pump came off to me.... It's always something simple, just not always simple to find.

Reactions: theknurl
#15 · (Edited)
Guys why would pump disconnected make engine spin fast? Does engine spin fast , then slow quickly from greater resistance?

I have seen timing chains jump a tooth and the engine acted in this manor. Dodge inline 4 2.5 liter. The Mishubishi inline 4 2.6 liter engines had GREAT cam chain adjusters. They took the slack out of the timing chain right up until at 60k the can chains would snap. In fact, true story. I ran a dodge/Mishubishi dealership when young and a mechanic was pulling a Mishubishi Mini Van into the shop for brakes and He says... hey.... this Minivan is going to hit exactly 60,000 miles as I pull it into the shop. The engine will let loose before the poor guy wears out the new tires we are installing. Sure enough as he pulls the Mishubishi 2.6 liter 4 cylinder mini van into his bay it hits exactly 60,000 miles on the nose. he leaves the mini van idling as he shows he another mechanic ….. he says, look 60,000 miles on the nose. Just as he says this while showing the other mechanic the odometer …. CRUNCH BANG Squeel STOP … the cam chain snapped and the pistons hit the valves …. engine DONE. Being the engine blew up and according to customer .. ALL Japanese cars /engines last at least 100,000 to 200,000 (Consumer reports) the mechanic had abused and ruined the engine . Mishubishi/Dodge paid for new engine even though warranty was 3year 36,000 bumper to bumper. Although I agree engine should last more than 60,000 miles the customers reasoning was Bullshit . ALL manufacturers can and do make a lemon from time to time .

#16 ·
Sounds like Porsche 944 and 928 cam timing belts. A ticking bomb once these are past 30K

#17 ·
Update! I drained a lot of the gas from the tank and when the fuel pump runs I can see some movement in the remaining fuel, along with some bubbles coming from under the filter. Pretty sure one of the hoses has deteriorated or come loose. I checked my maintenance log and I changed the hoses 6 years ago, so they're overdue for changing. Unfortunately, my garage is full of other projects at the time and since I have other bikes to ride, the MV will have to wait a while, couple of weeks most likely.

On the issue of the engine spinning fast while cranking: I think it was a lack of reference point since my bike always starts right away and I've never heard it cranking for longer than a second or two. Sounded fast but most likely all it fine inside (hopefully!). Won't know anything for sure until I pull the pump assembly.

Eric

#18 ·
Yes, it seems like you need all new hoses and the filter. Be sure to clean the screen below the pump. Also, check for bits in the tank itself. But you know all this already...

#20 ·
Latest Update! I finally got time and space to pull the fuel tank and remove the pump. All the hoses are in as-new condition, even though they're 6 years old. I pressure tested the hoses and they're all good. So, definitely not a fuel hose issue as we had all hoped!

I removed the bodywork and pulled a spark plug to test for spark. Guess what? No spark. I've checked all the fuses and relays: all good. I tested the side stand switch and it is working normally. Can't find any sign of loose connections, bad grounds, etc. The bike has never been ridden in the rain and lives in a garage year round. Everything electrical works fine, just no spark. Seems odd that I'd lose the coils so suddenly and at the same time.

Any advice from you electrical gurus will be very much appreciated.

Eric

#22 ·
Any advice from you electrical gurus will be very much appreciated.
First pice of advice is to put your bike model and year in your signature line so the we don’t have to dig through pages of thread in order to figure out which wiring diagram and troubleshoooting guide to reference

#21 ·
Depending of do you have spark in any cylinder? I would start with few things first.

- Ignition fuses
- Crank sensor resistance values
- TPS sensor values, yes it should not affect spark, but has done that to me
- Measure the coils (did the 2007 have twin pack of coils?)
- Check the ECU ignition wise
- And of course main wiring harness comes to mind

Have you checked the oil allready???

#23 ·
Problem found, and it's not good. While checking the crank sensor (tested good) I realized I hadn't bothered to look down the throttles to inspect the valves. Well, No. 4 intakes are bent to hell and none of the other valves are moving when cranking the engine! Turns out my original diagnosis of failed cam chain/sprocket bolts was spot on! Don't know exactly what failed yet as I'm not digging any further at this point. Anyway, will reassemble everything and park the bike until winter arrives and I have time to yank the motor and strip it down. Really disappointed in MV at this point: easy 12k on the motor, great maintenance and yet it craps out on me big time. Definitely will discourage anyone I know or meet of every buying an MV product. Can only guess how difficult it will be to get the parts I need (I live out in the PNW farmland) and what they will cost. Time to get on one of my vintage Sportsters and go for a ride on something that actually runs!

Thanks for all your advice, only wish it had been something simple.

Eric

#24 ·
early models had an issue of an airbox wellnuts getting loose and dropping into the engine...
MV Agusta FAQ: Wellnuts on airbox need to be replaced at every removal!

back in 2005:
"There have been at least two engine failures documented online due to airbox wellnut disintegration. The factory requirement is to replace the airbox wellnuts each time the covers are removed."

#26 ·
I never, ever would have thought of this one. I immediately walked out to the AGO and sure enough, two screws on ea side with 14 year old well nuts presumably holding them in.

Now I have to take the thing apart. Again

Thanks for posting this one. I gotta borrow up some common sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.