MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a bundle of bits to my local body shop to see about getting them lacquered.
Two reasons for this: Firstly, to seal the cf surface, as the matte finish sucks any and all grease it comes in contact with, finger marks and all. Secondly, I want to protect the decals.
However, they had no experience with this and didn’t know what kind of lacquer to use, and how it would bind. Does anyone have experience they can share on lacquering matte cf? I want to keep the matte finish.

I suppose that as an alternative, if I forgo the requirement to seal the decals with a few coats I could opt for a kind of wax/polish treatment to the surface to keep it smudge-free. Again, anyone have any input on what to/what not to use?

Cheers,
Jonathan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,495 Posts
Matte finish is simply a two part hardened polyurethane with a flatting agent added.

It is a bit experimental as to how much flatting agent to add to the mix.

Prep like any other surface: degrease, clean, wetsand, clear-coat.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very good sir, I shall renew my efforts to apply a few coats.

Cheers, J

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve decided to back out of the plan to clear-coat the carbon bits after speaking with two independent body/paint shop owners.
It comes down to that they are both skeptical to whether being able to do a clean enough finish while retaining a matte appearance, and they did not think that the clear coat would adhere well to the surface of the decals- which are glued on the outside OEM.

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
There is a product called Spray Max 2k that I’ve used many times with excellent results. I’ve only used high gloss but they make a matte version. Might be an option for you.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Art, will check it out. Did your work include decal surfaces? Did you treat/matte the decal surfaces first?

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Yes, I used it on bicycle frames over fairly good quality decals. You spray right over them. I’ll send some pics when I get back home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts