MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the matte black version of the F4 1000S which over time is now turning to a satin black.

I didn't realise quite how much until I purchased a NOS tail unit which was completely matte.

I suspect the previous owner may have been using some sort of polish on it which has reduced the matte finish.

I believe this finish is archived with retarding agent in the lacquer, but Does anyone have any ideas if there is anything available that could restore the original finish, ie some sort of hand compound without having a respray.

·
Super Moderator
22,501 Posts
The matte finish is accomplished by adding a flatting agent to the clear coat. The amount of flatting agent determines just how "flat" the finish is.

Restoring the original "flatness" is a tricky business. Getting a uniform result would be labor intensive, but what I would try is wet sanding with a very fine (2000-3000) grit sandpaper. This paper is very useful for this. Use extremely light even pressure and a soapy solution of warm water just a few drops of non-silicone dish-washing fluid per gallon of water. Copious quantities of flush water forma garden hose is also helpful.

Of course, you need to test this on a spare part first!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,

One of my side panels has some damage which really needs refinishing, so I may give it a go on an area on that.

Has anyone tried this successfully before?

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Listen to Chuck about Flat paint. Somewhere around here are track day pics of the Veltrat which he painted. As you know, it's a flat black finish. But I would agree, that you'll need to do all the panels or you'll never get it to match.

Also send a pm to Ade. He doesn't post here much but he lurks. He used to be a paint sprayer by trade.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I would offer to help, as I train painters for a living, however the pond gets in the way. :)

Any decent body shop should have no issues matching the gloss level. A Mercedes or BMW shop should have experience as they're now producing matte finish vehicles.

Just have them put a gloss meter on it and it will help them match it. Their paint supplier should be able to guide them in the recepie to achieve the right gloss (or lack there of).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't fancy putting the bike through a body shop really, but it sounds like that is the only way to get it mint again.
Thanks for all the replies.

If I went down respray route I would drive myself mad with the option of changing the scheme. know that's the subject for another post. I am not that bothered about the colour now I have lived with it for a while it's a PITA to wash and you can't use polish to protect the paint.

I think I 'll save the money for the moment and just put it in the tank and enjoy riding it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts