MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

I am contemplating to buy a 2nd car which is a bit different to my current mode of transportation, as I want to get rid of my VW Alltrack rather soon and my GTI is only coming in May...I found that thing.

so far I only managed to find the words unreliable, costly but fun related to the 2.24V if I ask the dark net :unsure: as this car was not sold within Germany I cant find much information anyways.....

any takers which has more for me?

cheers

mjvduc

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What you want to know? Just ask, i had 222, 422, 224, 424 all biturbo
Here are some
Hello Misty5,

well I was told whatever can break will break eventually, I just want to know if its a reliable car as I use my car(s) or bikes to commute to and from work instead of doing Sunday trips up the mountains....

so reliability is an issue, I dont care if I need to do some extra maintenance to keep the car going. but certainly I dont want to be stuck every weekend fixing the car.

how is the engine, chargers and drive train? the car looks mint, it has 88tkm and is from 1991. what do I need to look out for? if not mistaken the engine has one chain and one belt to run the cams, any issues with that system? 2 Garret chargers are expensive, how are those performing?

many thanks

Mjvduc

·
Registered
161 Posts
First series of biturbo was not much reliable, following series was pretty reliable. I never have problems with them all, maybe i'm lucky or more probably i keep my cars in good conditions.
Maserati are expensive cars to keep in good condition. If you know to make all by yourself should be better because every time you'll bring it in service, you'll spend too many money
224 engine is a 2000cc (a little bit small for that power should be better a 3000cc) with 2 turbo quite fast in acceleration. Anyway the 224 has the most advanced version of the twin-turbo engine, the car has no longer major production defects and if well maintained is very reliable. You should look that all 6 cylinder are in good condition, look at rear of four finals exaust and both side has to be with the same smoke color on cold engine and no color when hot engine. If are different color (even in 1 of 4) it's sign of some piston not in good condition.
Check the noise of the chains that control the camshafts, in the v6 4ac24 engine series up to the ghibli tend to stretch and put out of phase the distribution on the exhaust side. Also check in phase to replace the belt possibly also the hydraulic tensioner.
Garret turbo: it's important that you wait that car enter in temperature before to stress the chargers and also wait 2-3 min., with the engine on before to stop it, so the 2 turbo can relax.
Which version of 224 is it? The V version (224v) has electronic suspensions so no worry for drive train but keep always in mind that it's not an easy car to drive in fasten speed, when at 2-3000 rpm (don't remember exactly) the turbo wake up can be dangerous, in particular situations like on the wet streets because go on suddenly, almost brutal enter
Check for rust down the doors and up (inside) the arch wheels
For other things you'll need only petrol, a litlle much, and i assure you you'll take fun and you'll enjoy it
I wish had not sell them all, for sure 224v and Ghibli, i will regret all life, but i can't keep all cars i want, some had to be sacrifice for others
People that never owned one will speak bad for them, but you'll never find one previous or actual owner that will not speak of them with shiny eyes

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First series of biturbo was not much reliable, following series was pretty reliable. I never have problems with them all, maybe i'm lucky or more probably i keep my cars in good conditions.
Maserati are expensive cars to keep in good condition. If you know to make all by yourself should be better because every time you'll bring it in service, you'll spend too many money
224 engine is a 2000cc (a little bit small for that power should be better a 3000cc) with 2 turbo quite fast in acceleration. Anyway the 224 has the most advanced version of the twin-turbo engine, the car has no longer major production defects and if well maintained is very reliable. You should look that all 6 cylinder are in good condition, look at rear of four finals exaust and both side has to be with the same smoke color on cold engine and no color when hot engine. If are different color (even in 1 of 4) it's sign of some piston not in good condition.
Check the noise of the chains that control the camshafts, in the v6 4ac24 engine series up to the ghibli tend to stretch and put out of phase the distribution on the exhaust side. Also check in phase to replace the belt possibly also the hydraulic tensioner.
Garret turbo: it's important that you wait that car enter in temperature before to stress the chargers and also wait 2-3 min., with the engine on before to stop it, so the 2 turbo can relax.
Which version of 224 is it? The V version (224v) has electronic suspensions so no worry for drive train but keep always in mind that it's not an easy car to drive in fasten speed, when at 2-3000 rpm (don't remember exactly) the turbo wake up can be dangerous, in particular situations like on the wet streets because go on suddenly, almost brutal enter
Check for rust down the doors and up (inside) the arch wheels
For other things you'll need only petrol, a litlle much, and i assure you you'll take fun and you'll enjoy it
I wish had not sell them all, for sure 224v and Ghibli, i will regret all life, but i can't keep all cars i want, some had to be sacrifice for others
People that never owned one will speak bad for them, but you'll never find one previous or actual owner that will not speak of them with shiny eyes
many thanks, its a 224V and I will have a look possible this week or next week depending on that lock down.

cheers again

mjvduc

·
Registered
413 Posts
Get yourself across to SportsMaserati or MaseratiLife and ask a dedicated forum ;) But generally speaking, Maseratis like being driven so using one as a daily is no bad thing.

You need to remember 2 things:

1 - a lot of parts for the bi-turbos (and even newer Maseratis) are no longer avaliable. And if they are, they are expensive.

2 - these cars are sports cars and need to be maintained accordingly. Very few have been maintained properly and, as such, you are likely to encounter problems.

Reactions: Mjvduc

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can i know how much is the price?
certainly, was sitting at 19500Euro for a good month and now dropped to 14900 Euro

·
Registered
161 Posts
Too much but if you like It and it's in good condizioni. If you need spare parte in future i have some still

·
Registered
413 Posts
Too much but if you like It and it's in good condizioni. If you need spare parte in future i have some still
I agree that that is top money - but potentially worth it if it is a good car with good history.

Bonhams have one up for auction https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/26807/preview_lot/5430737/

Again, I consider this a top money estimate for a non standard car (with some nasty mods) and with limited history. Leather interior is incredibly rare on a 224 and being a left hooker in the UK may go cheap.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree that that is top money - but potentially worth it if it is a good car with good history.

Bonhams have one up for auction https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/26807/preview_lot/5430737/

Again, I consider this a top money estimate for a non standard car (with some nasty mods) and with limited history. Leather interior is incredibly rare on a 224 and being a left hooker in the UK may go cheap.
yes I agree, just keep in mind those Model was not sold in Germany. I managed to find 7 available at the moment and the cheapest is going for 13k which is a 1988 224v, the other 5 are going for 19 to 22k.

I had a chat with the guy, the car was parked for 10years, had a big service done last year including the belts and chain, and has no corrosion as per the dealer, however I can only check it out beginning of Feb due to the lock down. in around 4 months I can register the car as a classic car which brings the insurance and tax down.....

cheers

mjvduc

·
Registered
413 Posts
yes I agree, just keep in mind those Model was not sold in Germany. I managed to find 7 available at the moment and the cheapest is going for 13k which is a 1988 224v, the other 5 are going for 19 to 22k.

I had a chat with the guy, the car was parked for 10years, had a big service done last year including the belts and chain, and has no corrosion as per the dealer, however I can only check it out beginning of Feb due to the lock down. in around 4 months I can register the car as a classic car which brings the insurance and tax down.....

cheers

mjvduc
Maybe look outside of Germany?

A few thoughts from me:

- if it has been stood for 10 years, it is going to need recommissioning properly. An oil and filer change isn't enough. Everything wet and rubber should be changed. Will probably also benefit from new brakes and clutch.

- there is no such thing as a rust free car from the 80s :)

- insurance and tax will be the least of your expenditure worries if anything goes bang.

·
Registered
413 Posts
How about this one in Belgium for under 10,000 euro ;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
How about this one in Belgium for under 10,000 euro ;)

this is not good choise, first versions has many issue. also it's much expensive

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe look outside of Germany?

A few thoughts from me:

- if it has been stood for 10 years, it is going to need recommissioning properly. An oil and filer change isn't enough. Everything wet and rubber should be changed. Will probably also benefit from new brakes and clutch.

- there is no such thing as a rust free car from the 80s :)

- insurance and tax will be the least of your expenditure worries if anything goes bang.
it was parked between 2009 and 2019, after he did change all fluids, filters, belts, chain etc....thats all I have for now. more only after I have seen it.

buying outside Germany, well thats an option if the car was either build in Germany or exported officially to Germany. If I have to import a car or bike with that age which was never officially registered in Germany I have to go through all the certification process which cost me roughly 800-1000 Euro. I have no guarantied History, he can tell me whatever he wants and by the time I figure maybe something was dodgy I am screwed already. on top I have to travel, get insurance, a trailer which will cost me at the end around 2000+ on the price plus time I dont have.

that car comes from a dealer, 12 months warranty, full service history with Masarati, tires and in mint condition as per dealer....let me check it out 1st and I will let you know after ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts