MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Manual Fan Switch Install Write-up!

Disclaimer: The work shown here isn't exactly what I would call "professional" haha. I'm going to go back through and button everything up with heat shielding, etc. I wanted to see how it affected the bike before I put too much effort into it. I couldn't find a good "how-to" with pictures anywhere so here goes:

1. You're going to want to take the right side fairings off.
20160803_222617.jpg

2. Locate the fan relay. It's where the red arrow is pointing.
20160803_222635.jpg

3. Remove the fan relay from it's rubber housing. Not actually shown, but you get the idea.

4. Splice into the black/white wire running to that relay. This is the positive for your switch. (kudos to Mitchy for the info: http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51384&highlight=fan+relay)

5. Run your other cable to a grounding point. I chose a Dzus fastener mount. Prob not the best ground, but it works.
20160803_222646.jpg

6. Run the cables under the intake tubes and up to your handlebars. There are rubber cable management straps on the frame that you can use.
20160803_222701.jpg

7. Run to 12v - 20+amp switch of your choice. I chose a light up switch and wired it so it lights up when my FANS ARE OFF. Kind of a warning to me to turn them on if I see the light.
20160803_222822.jpg

8. In my picture I have the switch mounted to a Scosche MagicMount. You can use a handlebar switch, or any other kind of switch you like.
20160803_222724.jpg

This was BY FAR the biggest improvement to heat control on my bike. However, as Mitchy said, turn the fans on BEFORE the bike gets hot. I turn mine on around 140F or so.

PM me if you have any questions. Happy riding!

-whobeyou

·
Vendor
5,367 Posts
Welcome to the forum and also well done for searching for info,alot of people don't.How do you find the mod as in controlling the engine temps?
This is a picture of my switch.It has a red LED in it and lights up when switched on.

54737_small.jpg

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum and also well done for searching for info,alot of people don't.How do you find the mod as in controlling the engine temps?
This is a picture of my switch.It has a red LED in it and lights up when switched on.
The mod was the biggest change for me. I got to 224F one day and decided to do something about it. The bike has upgraded water pump, muzzy fan blades, and upgraded hoses. Even with all of that it would over heat while driving around town. Now, with the fan switch mod, I rarely get over 190F even on hot days. I'm super happy with the quick mod that made a HUGE difference.

·
Super Moderator
22,472 Posts
Nice work Whobe...and welcome.

Have you switched your coolant to Engine Ice yet? Bled the system well?

Of course, none of this resolves the cause of overheating like tuning your ECU timing advance on a dyno will.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure if there is Engine Ice in there or not. I bought some the other day and I'll be doing a write-up for flushing the system, and installing vacuum lines to the fan shroud to eliminate the gap. Hopefully my write-ups help people not get so pissed off at this amazing bike!

For ECU timing, I have a power commander, but what exactly did you do to your tune to help over heating? More fuel? Advance/Retard timing? I'm very intrigued!

·
Super Moderator
22,472 Posts
I had Rob, at Rob's Dyno, in Gardner MA tune my ECU...including fan on/off temps and timing.

Reactions: 312R Dan

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah I see. Unfortunately, the Power Commander only controls fuel. I'll have to get my ECU flashed if I decide to go down that route. I'm going to put the second (ducati) fan on my radiator as I've heard that helps a lot as well. I might drill out the bypass holes in the thermostat, but that's non-reversible, so I'm going to see how the other mods work first.

·
Registered
40 Posts
your in Colorado and the bike got that hot?
I'm in Colorado an I've never gone over 208/9.
I do like the write up, and I have to do coolant also.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Well done "whobeyou".
FWIW, see if you can get some insulation around those wires, they run through some very hot areas as well as the vibration factor which could easily damage them and cause a short.

"Muffner", I assume you have a 750 ? They don't usually run nearly as hot as the 1000's.

·
Vendor
5,367 Posts
The mod was the biggest change for me. I got to 224F one day and decided to do something about it. The bike has upgraded water pump, muzzy fan blades, and upgraded hoses. Even with all of that it would over heat while driving around town. Now, with the fan switch mod, I rarely get over 190F even on hot days. I'm super happy with the quick mod that made a HUGE difference.
Ha,Ha, my list is Design Corse water pump.Muzzy fan blades,Engine Ice coolant,rubber fan shrouds.Biggest improvement by far is the switch.Just a caution,I fitted a third fan but the Bodis header pipes melted the fan in about 20 minutes of riding."Fail",there have been other owners with failures also,so just be aware.I used a Ducati full plastic fan because they are compact.It would be great to find a fan the right size with metal blades which would be perfect.The ultimate mod is the Mictrotec or Chuck's advice on changing ignition timing at idle and ECU to switch on fans earlier at around 85 degrees.
Good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ha,Ha, my list is Design Corse water pump.Muzzy fan blades,Engine Ice coolant,rubber fan shrouds.Biggest improvement by far is the switch.Just a caution,I fitted a third fan but the Bodis header pipes melted the fan in about 20 minutes of riding."Fail",there have been other owners with failures also,so just be aware.I used a Ducati full plastic fan because they are compact.It would be great to find a fan the right size with metal blades which would be perfect.The ultimate mod is the Mictrotec or Chuck's advice on changing ignition timing at idle and ECU to switch on fans earlier at around 85 degrees.
Good luck.
Very nice!! What temp does yours hover around on a 85 degree day? Also, I'm very interested in the Bodis full system. Other than melting that fan, does it keep the bike any cooler? Specifically the seat, my seat gets HOT... I'm thinking of getting this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055BY1NG/ and putting it between the exhaust and the seat.

Well done "whobeyou".
FWIW, see if you can get some insulation around those wires, they run through some very hot areas as well as the vibration factor which could easily damage them and cause a short.
I totally agree. This was more of a "test run" to see how/where I liked everything. I'm going to get some high quality terminals, and high temperature wire. I may even get a handlebar switch if I can find one not made in China for 11 cents. The last thing I want to do is fry my fan relay lol...

·
Vendor
5,367 Posts
Very nice!! What temp does yours hover around on a 85 degree day? Also, I'm very interested in the Bodis full system. Other than melting that fan, does it keep the bike any cooler? Specifically the seat, my seat gets HOT... I'm thinking of getting this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055BY1NG/ and putting it between the exhaust and the seat.

I totally agree. This was more of a "test run" to see how/where I liked everything. I'm going to get some high quality terminals, and high temperature wire. I may even get a handlebar switch if I can find one not made in China for 11 cents. The last thing I want to do is fry my fan relay lol...
An 85degree day on the move about 86degrees to 90 degrees.In traffic hovers around 100degrees with fans switched on.The Bodis is no hotter on the seat than the original pipes.The Bodis header and midpipes run very very hot,you have to check clearances to everything,I had to wrap the midpipe where the rear master cylinder is located because the Bodis almost boils the brake fluid Arrh.
Like Donsy said insulate those wires and be careful how you route the wiring.I bought a length of white insulation tubing from an electrical supply shop and works great.A few pics-

Titanium Wrap.jpg

100_1037.jpg

100_1038.jpg

prod_FGL_banner_47e6c9.jpg

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome! I'm going to pick up that Insultherm instead. It looks like it's rated for higher heat than the other thing I was looking at.

I'm now re-thinking getting the Bodis exhaust. I thought you would see some sort of benefit as far as lower heat temperatures. I think the owner before me cut out the catalytic converter, and didn't button everything up right because I feel some exhaust leaks behind his wrap job... Not sure what I'm going to do about it, but I do have decent welding "skills" lol.

Going to try and do a write up about flushing the radiator and some other small mods this weekend!

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
?

whobeyou;

you need to fix the ignition map and fuel maps in the ECU

a 1000S is timed -4° and gets hot

a 1000R is timed -10° and gets hotter

NOTHING WILL RUN -10° AND NOT OVER HEAT

the MV Agusta and Aprilia RSVR ignition maps are beyond comprehension

everything else is +14-16° initial.....

my Big Block Chevy runs +15.5° and will not go 16° at all.....runs clean, and gets great

mileage

all my bikes get shitty mileage

:popcorn:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm in process of lining up someone with a Dyno... Ericos Dyno is broken, and the guy on the phone basically said no plans to fix it. He was kind of an asshat too, so IDK if I want to take my bike there.

However, I hooked up to the Power Commander, and the previous owner had used the tune "UK model, Deleted cat, Stock Intake". it looked like it dumped more fuel in at specific times. So, I tuned it to the "Stock Intake, Stock exhaust" one. Seems to be a bit less aggressive, but sounds much better. I need to unwrap the exhaust and see what he did to it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts