MV Agusta Forum banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,306 Posts
@mvf4bike: Which component do you have in your hand?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The F4 750 doesnt run the fans from the ecu but direct from their own temperature sensor.

Well thats was from the manual, which apparantly is wrong.

The Oro wiring diagram shows a separate thermal switch for the fan but the standard 750 shows no control at all, no thermal switch, no ecu connection. At least, not in the manual I have.

Any how, it looks like the 750 does have a connection from the fan to the ecu so the temperature at which it turns on/off can be reduced in software from the original 97C/95C.

This connection was checked on a 2000 model 750.

·
Registered
23 Posts
@silentservice703

I believe the photo is a picture of relay 47, located near the fuse box on the right hand side.

Just not sure which one to take to ground as this thread doesn’t seem to follow my colour scheme, in fact neither does the SPR wiring diagram in the owners manual.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
22,306 Posts
@mvf4bike: In the following image, B (Blue) is ground. At the 86 connection is yellow.

The easy test for ground is to put an ohmmeter between the connection and a hard ground (engine bolt) and check for continuity.

1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
22,306 Posts
Terminal 86/Yellow is what you are after,that will earth the relay and power your fans.
Test first with a wire from the yellow wire to earth and switch on ignition and your fans should come on.
Sorry to disagree,, Mitch...YELLOW is power. The wire off of terminal 85 is ground.

If you ground 86, you will melt something.

You have to get power across 86 to ground at 85 in order to energize the coil and close the contact at 30 to 87. Closing this contact is what gives power to the fan.

The GRAY wire with the BLACK stripe takes power to the fan.

·
Vendor
5,329 Posts
Your right Chuck,sorry to put up the wrong info.
I was reading the wiring diagram in the manual and the numbers 85/86 where fuzzy.
Time for new glasses.:wink2:
I will delete the wrong information post.

·
Vendor
5,329 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread. I’m about to add this switch mod but my wire colours differ from the owners manual and Donsy’s site.

I have the following:

Grey
Grey / Black
Yellow
Black / White

Which one to ground? 86 is yellow not Black and White.

BTW it’s a 740 SPR and yes it needs a good clean ��

Thanks.

If you read Post 25 in this thread,it may help you.

·
Registered
113 Posts
On most F4s I’ve seen the fans are activated by the ECU providing the ground connection to the relay 47 once a set temperature is reached. So testing for an existing ground on this type of circuit is not going to help.
The override switch bypasses the ECU ground as shown by the dotted line and connection to relay 47 on this diagram.
Unplug relay 47 and turn the ignition on, you can then test the 85 and 86 terminals to determine which one has power, the other one will be the ground return via ECU and this one should trigger the relay and fans once it’s grounded.
Hope that makes sense and the diagram although wider in scope helps.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,306 Posts
Nicely explained. Great illustration!

·
Registered
14,485 Posts
Sorry you’re not gonna like this but you're wrong again this thread was started on Feb 21, 2013....
And the thread was........

Can anyone help with a good clean install of a manual fan switch for F4 312r please?

Don't want to rehash all the old arguments and reasoning, I know a wee bit about this subject , and have owned a couple of F4's They run hot and have a small enclosed thermal mass that needs airflow cooling this quicker and earlier before the heat builds works ,
Well, Lee's Fanzilla thread was started December '07.......
and the 3rd fan DOES NOT SUPPORT THE LEFT SIDE OF THE RADIATOR THAT FAILS

:wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Good morning, I followed this thread with interest and decided to do the mod to help when I am commuting to work. I grounded the the white and black wire through a switch and all works great. The only issue I have encountered is when the bike reaches the temp for the fans to come on and I already have them switched on then I get a STOP fan malfunction warning on the dash, this will go away as soon as i turn off the switch I fitted.
Bike is 2010 F4 1000R. Is this usual when this mod is done?

·
Registered
342 Posts
makes perfect sense ---

Hi!

Yep .. The >my 10 ECU probably has "warning sense" connections to check things like the fans!

When you close the switch it also brings the ECU output to ground, which it then interprets as "faulty Fan"

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm with Noel on this one, just contact Adam, if you have a M1.6 ECU and get a new chip burnt that will turn on your existing fans sooner. I just can't fathom adding additional switches and modifying your harness for something that can be done much more easily and reversible. This is what I'm doing on my Tamburini for what it's worth. Adam is super cool and very helpful.

·
Registered
365 Posts
View attachment 69745 OK,I have found some pics.First is my switches mounted to the triple tree,I have 2 switches,one for the fans and the other for an accessory.There are some other options and a picture of a common switch with a waterproof grommet.[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]Sorry for the messy post,it's all over the place,but it should give you some ideas.
The switch that goes on the right handle bar next to the kill switch seems the best location and look. How is that one mounted @mitchy do you know? I'm assuming it has some sort of handle bar bracket, but not sure where to source the bits for that nice neat finish... Seen this one i quite like... 12V Motorcycle Handlebar Switch ON-OFF Waterproof, 7/8" Headlight Switches Fog Spot Light Led Indicator Switch, Aluminium Alloy (Silver): Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

·
Vendor
5,329 Posts
It is neat and tidy.But I have no idea how it is fixed to the bar.I never found out.

·
Vendor
5,329 Posts
@312R Dan I recently bought this switch on Ebay for my Ducati.
It is waterproof,has a LED light in it and works well.
The switch you are showing looks OK too.

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
@312R Dan I recently bought this switch on Ebay for my Ducati.
It is waterproof,has a LED light in it and works well.
The switch you are showing looks OK too.
So how many wires does that switch have please Mitch? Is it 2, 3 or 5, I've got a lot of options with how the switch works. I just want the simplest, least intrusive way to wire it up without causing any electrical bother... (y) From a previous post of yours, sounded like only need two, one to splice into the fan wiring and one to earth, but I'd have thought 3 to make a circuit. My electrical knowledge is poor and i dislike working on electrical areas! Help is much appreciated. (y) 🤞🤩

121 - 140 of 144 Posts