MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help with a good clean install of a manual fan switch for F4 312r please?

Don't want to rehash all the old arguments and reasoning, I know a wee bit about this subject , and have owned a couple of F4's They run hot and have a small enclosed thermal mass that needs airflow cooling this quicker and earlier before the heat builds works ,

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Can anyone help with a good clean install of a manual fan switch for F4 312r please?

Don't want to rehash all the old arguments and reasoning, I know a wee bit about this subject , and have owned a couple of F4's They run hot and have a small enclosed thermal mass that needs airflow cooling this quicker and earlier before the heat builds works ,
Simply splice in to the relay on right side fella and add a switch to it it will still come on with temp sensors and by the switch if u activate it mega simple job two wires and a small switch job done

·
Vendor
5,329 Posts
flying kiwi,only too happy to help,as MV-Woodster said it is a simple and clean mod and very effective.Find the fan relay located on the R/H side of the bike above the fuse panel.Look for the black/white wire on the relay,splice into that wire and run it up to your switch on the positive side,then on the negative side of the switch run a wire to a good earthing point and your done.Any 12v,20amp toggle switch is OK,I also use a heatproof sleeve on the wire from the relay to the switch so there is no chance of melting.The ECU will still operate the fans as usual.Even if you leave the switch on,there is no power when the ignition switch is off,so no chance of draining your battery.With this set-up there is no risk of damage to the ECU because you are switching to earth,no power involved.The important thing to remember is turn the fans on while the temp is low on the bike before you hit traffic etc,that way the temp will stay down.Good luck,hope I have explained this properly.flying kiwi,I forgot to say this set-up is for my 1078 F4,so just check on your wiring diagram that the black/white wire on your relay is earth for your model bike,I am sure it is the same as mine.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Will really try it today!! Mitch, is there any chance u can sent us some pics?? Just to have a clearer image. Thanks a lot

Best Regards,
FOIB

·
Vendor
5,329 Posts
FOIB,I am at work,and sorry I havn't got any pics.What are you unsure of?

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Like this Mitch?

I think this is what Mitch is saying. Correct me if wrong please mate.

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,329 Posts
Spot-on Donsy,I knew I could rely on you with your computer skills.:yo:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ah, just unsure about the type of switch and where to put the switch to? Lol.

Best Regards,
FOIB

·
Vendor
5,329 Posts
OK,any 12volt,20amp toggle switch will do (your choice).Some people have mounted a small switch on the L/H handle bar,in the ignition key guard,L/H panel under the fairing,you can fit the switch where you can access easily.I will try and find some pictures for you.I made a bracket and mounted the switch to the triple tree for easy access.

·
Vendor
5,329 Posts
60290.png OK,I have found some pics.First is my switches mounted to the triple tree,I have 2 switches,one for the fans and the other for an accessory.There are some other options and a picture of a common switch with a waterproof grommet.[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]Sorry for the messy post,it's all over the place,but it should give you some ideas.

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,329 Posts
FOIB,what is your name?The switch you bought is good,and yes that is the fan relay,now look for the black/white wire there and splice into that wire and run it up to your switch.What I mean by a good earth point is earth to a metal part of the bike,thats it,and you should be right.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Mitch, my name is Kevin. I will try it again this afternoon. .. thanks mate. Will let u know how it goes

Best Regards,
FOIB

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome Guys Good stuff ,
Mitch and Donsy great pics always did like the Mags with pictures,will install Later in week as attending Track Day tomorrow.will also source a low profile switch befitting the steed

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi as always there always one with one more question :)....

I want to put fan switch on my F4 750 S , its a 2001 model but its appears I have the wiring of the 750 oro ?? . In that it has 4 wires to the fan reply :- Blue, Grey, blue/ grey and black/ grey ......I was tempted to test the wires but I know one may lead back to ECU and didn't want to fry that.
My guessing is that I need to splice into the black/ grey one but before I do though it best to ask in here.

Or can't this easy fix be done on the 750S ?

·
Vendor
5,329 Posts
Northy,I am not sure which is the earth wire on your model.Have a look in the workshop manual first.Then run a test wire from the earth terminal on the relay,then to a earth point on the bike,turn on the ignition.If the fan comes on you have the correct connection.If you havn't got a manual,you can download one off Donsy's website.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi
I have the manual.
Blue and Grey/ black both go to the fan (there looks like a diode between the two as well) , grey looks to be the power in via the fuse box, blue/ grey wire comes from the fan thermal switch ...so not sure which is earth. I fact it may wired up totally different than the newer models.

Just checked and the earth wire from the battery is blue according the manual , therefore it the blue one! ....confused ? so I'll just run test wire tomorrow....not unless someone has the answer

Ps gone cross eyed looking at the wiring diagram

1 - 20 of 144 Posts