MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting this on my dash 2 days ago- "Malfunction" with the orange warning light on. And a few minutes later it show "Exhaust Valve" and a very hollow and bassy sound coming out from the exhaust while idling. I reach my desitination in a few minute and thought of sending it to workshop after i settle my stuff. When i'm done, and starts my bike, the warning light and all the error seems to be gone so i though nothing and continue my ride untill this morning the same issue came back again. But the error message will be gone when i restart my bike. Any had the same issue before or knows what wrong like exhaust sensor or?? Sorry that i'm not really good at technical or mechanical stuff

·
Registered
560 Posts
There was a big issue with early 3 cylinder MV's having some sort of issue with the exhaust valves. They ended up replacing all the heads at the port for bikes coming into the US (I assume elsewhere also). I'd bet thats your problem.

I dont know what the exact issue was but chances are your dealer will know of the issue and and be able to help. There was another guy on the forum who lived in the middle of nowhere and his dealer sent him all the stuff to replace his sprag clutch.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advise. Not sure if mine was the batch you were saying. Mine was F3 675 2012 model tho.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
MV81, I would not worry, your bike would not be one of the batch with a faulty cylinder head. The MV factory did have a quality control issue with a batch of faulty valve springs which could have lead to engine failure. The factory quickly identified the engine build run and replaced cylinder heads. I do know a few engines failed and MV were quick to respond.

What you are getting is one of a number of these random error messages and malfunction warnings which seem to plague the three cylinder platform bikes, I know it is pretty frustrating,been there myself. Just get the bike along to your dealer when you can and ask them to record your concerns and ask them to check the bike over.

jimboF4

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have this issue happen to my F3 800 2013 model too. I would not say this happen randomly, but it will happen continuously, not before you replace the exhaust valve cable/ servo moto. Later or sooner you will heard very loud air intake sound from front dash, that is because the exhaust butterfly valve did not even open. And sometime you will heard loud exhaust sound cause the butterfly valve remain open even under low rpm. Your bike still cover under warranty? For me, I pull out the exhaust valve cable and keep the butterfly valve open, no more error message. You should click following link which I asked before and what I have done to eliminate this problem:
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=112017

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have this issue happen to my F3 800 2013 model too. I would not say this happen randomly, but it will happen continuously, not before you replace the exhaust valve cable/ servo moto. Later or sooner you will heard very loud air intake sound from front dash, that is because the exhaust butterfly valve did not even open. And sometime you will heard loud exhaust sound cause the butterfly valve remain open even under low rpm. Your bike still cover under warranty? For me, I pull out the exhaust valve cable and keep the butterfly valve open, no more error message. You should click following link which I asked before and what I have done to eliminate this problem:
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=112017
Yes, my bike still under warranty. I've not heard the loud intake sound yet. But do have very loud exhaust sound tho. So prolly the butterfly valve is not closing you mean. And replacing the exhaust cable and servo motor solve this issue?

I'm not good at mechanic but the guess exhaust cable control the butterfly valve. But does it have any bad effect when the cables are removed? Somehow i do like the sound of the exhaust when the valve is kept open. :mouthwate lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
Technically by removing the exhaust valve cable, the butterfly valve will keep opening, and it will lose the low end. Other than that, nth much to worry by removing the cable though. The error message won't come back once the cable removed. Do remember to put back the cable if you intend to send for warranty claim.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have the same issue with my brand new f3. i dont feel that i have any performance issues, and when i give it throttle i can see the valve moving, opening and closing, i don't want to remove the cables, i want the bike to operate the way it is supposed to, did you ever find out if there is a simple adjustment to make to the cables to fix this issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Exhaust Malfunction message

I , too, was getting an error message on my 2014 f3 675. The rev limiter light would come on And the code said "malfunction". Upon stopping at a stop sign or signal, the message would change to "stop eng exhaust valves". Upon turning off the bike and letting it cool, the error would stop.
After this happened , I made an appointment for service. On the 50 mile trip to service, the same thing happened but the RPMs were limited to about 6000.
The bike is currently in the shop having the exhaust valve cabling and related parts replaced.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I , too, was getting an error message on my 2014 f3 675. The rev limiter light would come on And the code said "malfunction". Upon stopping at a stop sign or signal, the message would change to "stop eng exhaust valves". Upon turning off the bike and letting it cool, the error would stop.
After this happened , I made an appointment for service. On the 50 mile trip to service, the same thing happened but the RPMs were limited to about 6000.
The bike is currently in the shop having the exhaust valve cabling and related parts replaced.
Your other option is to remove the servo motor and cabling altogether, lockwire the valve in the open position, and fit one of these:
Screenshot_2015-08-04-09-11-28.png
The exhaust valve does not enhance low rpm performance, it is only there to pass noise testing.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts