MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The company won their last Grand Prix in 1976 and by the 1980 Grand Prix motorcycle racing season they were out of racing. Shortly thereafter, they ceased motorcycle production. Between 1948 and 1976 MV Agusta motorcycles had won over 3000 races and 63 World Championships overall. After MV Agusta left the racing scene in 1980.

Seeing as though MV won 75 Titles. I don't see how this can be a true statement.

·
Administrator
19,804 Posts
The company won their last Grand Prix in 1976 and by the 1980 Grand Prix motorcycle racing season they were out of racing. Shortly thereafter, they ceased motorcycle production. Between 1948 and 1976 MV Agusta motorcycles had won over 3000 races and 63 World Championships overall. After MV Agusta left the racing scene in 1980.

Seeing as though MV won 75 Titles. I don't see how this can be a true statement.
Different classes ......250 - 350 - 500 and so on.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
The last season of any MV Agusta in GP racing was 1976.
Agostini rode the 350 and 500 occasionally.
He won the last 350 Grand prix for MV in Assen 1976 and the last ever 500 Grand Prix at the Nürburgring 1976.
I made years ago an excel file to have an overview how many stars could be possibly on the tank of a specific model year of the production bikes.
Here You go.

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the spread sheet, however MV dropped out of GP in '80 their last title was '76 m not refuting that they won 75 I just don't understand how while there last title came in '76 and they started in '49 where he 63 figure comes in to play.

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
The Italians lie? Really? I mean it has all the wins on that decal for my air box. It must be true.

And I'm still convinced all those motorcycle magazines have defective dyno's. :)

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I like the spread sheet, however MV dropped out of GP in '80 their last title was '76 m not refuting that they won 75 I just don't understand how while there last title came in '76 and they started in '49 where he 63 figure comes in to play.
Please enlighten us about where a MV Agusta rode in a Grand Prix of 1977, 1978, 1979 and 1980. Ahh and please add who rode the bike.
Also which title did MV Agusta win in 1976 ? Other than Agostini's privately entered MV Agusta's and the Grand Prix wins.

·
Registered
909 Posts
That statement is just wrong!

I think you'll find there were something like 37 riders titles,

& 38 manufacturers titles.

Their last Grand Prix was 29th August, 1976 @ the old Nurburgring

- and they won the 500 race, coutesy of one G. Agostini!

·
Super Moderator
22,306 Posts
37 + 38 = :smoking:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
almeriman you are right ... actually did some more research .... the actual MV website must have there gp victories incorrect as well. It says 270 ... here di the 5 wins go?

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Honestly. Stuff like this does not matter at all to me. The history is certainly interesting but those bikes have little to nothing to do with my F4. I would love my F4 even if it came with a Cagiva logo on it.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Honestly. Stuff like this does not matter at all to me. The history is certainly interesting but those bikes have little to nothing to do with my F4. I would love my F4 even if it came with a Cagiva logo on it.
I seem to recall this exact topic not so long ago, pisses me off that some people ask/say the same things regarding MV history over and over :thewife::thewife::thewife:

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Different classes ......250 - 350 - 500 and so on.
Correct, and partially attributive to the sum we desperately seek.

"World Championship" counts include both individual riders who won "World Championship" AND Manufacturers that won "Constructors Championship".

Example, Moto Guzzi won 15 World Championships - 8 individual rider World Championships in 250 and 350, and 7 Constructors World Championships in the same classes.

FYI, Moto Guzzi also won 12 TT Isle of Man Championship Races. :yo:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quad.... cry about it ...... or view a different thread...

Ill ask until someone gives me factual answer, and not just sarcasm.. sorry.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Italia, I understand all of this. I think almeriman was right and the information was wrong. There are different numbers all over the place. Even the Mv site itself. States a total of 270 gp wins then somewhere else states 275.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts