MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I hope you will be able to help me with this problem I am having because I am starting to get extremely frustrated. I am going to try to describe this problem to the best of my ability. The problem is definitely intermittant and of course when the dealership tested it the problem didnt show itself.

This problem happens about once every 25 miles. When I am accelerating away I lose all acceleration and if I look at my tach while this is happening I see the needle go straight to 0... as if something interrupted it. Then it comes back... as in it shoots back to the actual RPM the engine is at. Oh, and it doesnt matter what gear or RPM I am at. I have ridden this bike a lot since it started showing problems and I have tried to pinpoint exactly what sets it off... the only thing i can think of is that it only really happens under medium or hard acceleration.

any ideas guys?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Bummer.......... :cry: I don't want to hear these stories. But I want to hear how they got fixed ;)

I would start at electrical plugs, near the dash/instruments. Re-jack them.

Regards
Jonathan

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Does the display go blank as well? I had something similar happen to me, (on another bike) and it was simply a loose battery connection.
I'm assuming this is not your problem, however, as the dealer would presumably have found that.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Most of these cutting out problems turn out to be the switch on the sidestand, try shorting it out for a while and see if that sorts it, remember to put the stand up though!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had a smillar problem on mine after I had washed it. What I did was spray a water repellant eg "Q20" in all plugs I could find. Never had a problem again. Also check that switch on the side stand.. Give the MV a little TLC, should not have any problems. enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
check the engine RPM sensor

and the connector. the RPM sensor is located on the left side of the bike, above and to the right of the timing wheel cover. it's a small device with two bolts holding it to the engine case.

i would start by pulling the connector and inspecting it. make sure that it's free of debris and foreign matter (fluid, dirt).

i believe that this is a hall-effect sensor, but i'm not sure, so i don't have a good suggestion for testing it at this moment. maybe there is a way to verify operation of it?

alex

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yay my bike is completely broken

well i just thought id give you guys an update on the status of my MV f4-1000... it's completely dead and when i turn it on it will not crank and the fuel pump is running constantly. The nearest Mv dealer is 3.5 hours away and i have no idea how this is going to go. I really regret my Mv purchase now... this is bad news.

Does anyone have any stories of warranty work or anything similar with their MV?

·
Registered
785 Posts
ohioagusta said:
well i just thought id give you guys an update on the status of my MV f4-1000... it's completely dead and when i turn it on it will not crank and the fuel pump is running constantly. The nearest Mv dealer is 3.5 hours away and i have no idea how this is going to go. I really regret my Mv purchase now... this is bad news.

Does anyone have any stories of warranty work or anything similar with their MV?
Don't regret it... lets try and help you sort it out.

When you turn the ignition key on, are the clocks active? i.e. does 0mph display etc?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Reopropf said:
MVs can but shouldn't be finicky. Your bike has a problem. Do not mess with it. Make time to get it back to dealer...leave it and make sure they return it to you fixed!

Peter
Agree, but it could be something simple, as Mike suggest the side stand switch, had a problem on an MV many years ago which was similar, it turned out to be a dodgy sidestand switch..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I worked a dealer for a bit and we've had a similar problems. First definately check the sidestand switch, fuses, battery connections. I'm not sure how comfortable you are digging into a new bike but you can make you're own decision.

1- Remove the tail section to expose the computer
2- unmount the computer
3- remove the conector from the computer (pull or push small metal tab then pull that side out first unhook other side)
4- look in connector to see if all "pins/spades are all all the way into connector. (I've gone as far as removing shrink tube from wire end of connector, unsnapping back cover and giving a light pull to each wire making sure it is snapped in, if it is not pull it out and bend the little tap out and push back in.

It is easier to do than it sounds.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Sounds electrical to me. All bikes are the same whether it is Honda, Suzuki, Ducati, etc and the MV is no different.

I agree with eMoto, I too would check the side stand switch, had a similar problem with a friends Ducati, and we were in the middle of nowhere. Luckly we always have a length of electrical cable for emergencies.

Check all the connectors and relays as plastics can warp when heated, vibrate loose or corrode / oxidise due to washing the bike with a hose - use waterless wash next time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
update

so i have to drive 3.5 hours to michigan in order to get this bike looked at and fixed under warranty... this is the last straw. if this bike acts up one more time after i take it there and get it fixed its going to be sold - even at a loss who cares. I had a ducati 996 for 4 years and not once did it ever leave me stranded on the side of the road.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
sorry you feel that way. i would get a detailed report from the dealer. i bet it's something simple (usually is). if it is, will you keep it then?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts