MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really considering the purchase of a new MV Augusta 990 Brutale. I am pretty handy with a wrench, but I’m buying this bike to ride daily and really want to avoid turning wrenches every weekend to keep the machine going. What’s the “Real World “service intervals?
Its looks stunning and the performance is right in line with what I want.
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']I just need some insight on these impressive machines from their owners.
[/FONT]

·
Registered
975 Posts
G`day Scott,
I`m on my second Brutale(1078) if that counts for anything and can`t bring myself to part with the first one(750). Service is every 6000kms and Both have been very reliable still haven`t had to touch valve clearances on 750 after 42000kms and tyre and chain wear have been excellent. Watch the rear hub, mine went at 36,000kms but with the benefit of this forum it`s not a biggy to check at each service which will stave off disaster. They like fuel though the 1078 gets better mileage. I`d ride either of mine anywhere anytime. Check the maintenance threads for an insight ,just be aware that people are generally more likely to write into forums with problems than with compliments. I would recommend one to anyone , might start saving for number three. happy shopping.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
,just be aware that people are generally more likely to write into forums with problems than with compliments. I would recommend one to anyone ,

Well said

joe

·
Registered
311 Posts
Scott, I purchased a 2006 910S a little over a year ago with 2,300 mile on it. Its currently over 10k - I ride to work almost every day in season and also go on some very spirited weekend rides. I have had nothing fail. I have changed the coolant, the plugs, the rear wheel bearings, the tires, and the oil - all myself- when I have had time. The bike fires up everytime and runs exceptionally. As gotojoe stated this forum really serves as a place for people in need to get assistance - nobody whose bike is running good is going to post such unless asked.

I say get the bike and enjoy it, they are as reliable as any others.

·
Administrator
20,417 Posts
As reliable as any performance sport bike....maintenance is easier to perform then many Japanese sport bikes, and certainly Ducatis. Maintenance intervals are similar to Japanese sport bikes.

If you take care of it and don't ride like a stunta you should not experience any real problems. Some niggles out there, well documented on this forum, but I think the 990 won't have the early bugs (SPU as example).

Buy it and enjoy. 18,500 miles on my Gina, she's been a terrific and loyal mistress....naughty, too!!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Yeh huh Brazil. . Aren't you lucky. . Going to build them there soon!

·
Registered
312 Posts
11,280 miles on an '05 Brutale S (750cc): zero mechanical issues. Considering the issues my Ducatisti friends seem to be facing on a regular basis, I am truly impressed how reliable she's been. I'd hope newer models are of the same vein.

·
Registered
207 Posts
buying a brut

i have a 2010 1090rr with 10,000 mi. on it. bike runs grate. i just broke a shift spring as some other members have also. gos in the shop this week. other than that love the bike, i get looks all the time with it. the spring should be a warrenty thing, it better be at least. also going to have the valves done, 1st time it runs as smooth as it can be. i here that the later ones are better. GOOD LUCK :smoking::smoking::smoking:

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Scott, welcome first of all.

1. Ride it regularly - the more you ride them, the fewer the problems. I'm almost at 30km on my first Brutale and would have zero hesitation in adding/replacing (funds pending :) )
2. Pre '08 Brutales have a 50/50 chance of encountering a failure in the Service Power Unit (SPU). It's a design flaw but once replaced it has a zero failure rate (about 300-400 USD)
3. As per Eddy's comments, maintenance is very very easy and a regular check of the rear bearings will ensure you don't encounter a HUB collapse...if the bearings go and you don't correct, you're talking (1k USD) to repair
4. Pick the right tyres for your riding intentions (e.g. Pilot Roads for a day-to-day ride, Pilot Pures for Sunday/Track days etc...each to their own but I rate the Roads as a d-t-d tyre)
5. My low beam bulb has just blown (~30kms)

buy it coz you love it !!

Cheers

·
Registered
81 Posts
2. Pre '08 Brutales have a 50/50 chance of encountering a failure in the Service Power Unit (SPU). It's a design flaw but once replaced it has a zero failure rate (about 300-400 USD)
Just a curiuos question. Does this cause the bike to stall at low rpms?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Scott, go for it...you will not repent!

That is mine (990R)...a really black wolf in the land of sheeps...

I have took this photo with a Reflex camera with the intention of using it as a wallpaper in my iPhone...because it is a MV, it looks good inside and outside the phone...

:mouthwate

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm a relative neophyte to MV's. I purchased a 2005 Brutale S with 1000 miles on ODO in early 2010. I now have almost 14,000 miles on the ODO. Most of the miles on multiple week+ rides down in the mountains of southeastern states in the US. Other than the typical consumables (oil, tires, etc), I have only had scheduled maintenance. No big problems so far (knock on wood).

The only issue with MV is its small dealer network (in case you need special tools or have problems you can't fix yourself) and the cost/availability of parts. The latter is being remedied since the transfer of company ownership, I've been told.

In my opinion, MV may require marginally more attention than a Honda, but much less so than a Ducati. Besides, I believe it's all worthwhile when you have the coolest bike on the block.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Just a curiuos question. Does this cause the bike to stall at low rpms?
Hey mate, no one has even advised of this sympton....low rev stalling tended to related to ECU / TPS settings in the main.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Hey mate, no one has even advised of this sympton....low rev stalling tended to related to ECU / TPS settings in the main.

Cheers
+100 on what Tim said, and get some Iridium plugs into her, she'll thank you for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
LOL - well if you understand the horrible english typing !! :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Reading further within this forum it sounds like the EPROM is causing the drama. I might see if Brad Black can come up with a solution. His garage is fairly close.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Reading further within this forum it sounds like the EPROM is causing the drama. I might see if Brad Black can come up with a solution. His garage is fairly close.
Any more info on your bike would be good mate. Eprom is simply a chip that goes into the ECU, a reset of your TPS and a service sounds in order, as well as the new plugs. What fuel are you using?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Just buy it, since you are pretty handy with a wrench.
if you don't like turning a wrench buy a ugly jap, or have deep pockets & let the bike shop turn the wrench for you, but all bike need to be maintained.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts