MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some nice magnesium wheels that have picked up the odd scratch.Just small scratches about 2mm wide typically .

I want to fix them before i expose the wheels to the road environment.

The wheels are presently in a nice warm dining room :thewife:.

I want to touch them in and I am trying to work out the best method to clean the scratch surface and then prime prior to touching in.

It's particularly the surface prep I am being careful about here as I understand that magnesium is a bit more temperamental then aluminium.

Do I use wet and dry with no water ?

Cheers

joe

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Used magnesium wheels, Joe?
The best advice you'll likely find on this matter will be from those who service aircraft wheels. Wheels in the aeronautical industry often made of magnesium. They require regular servicing. In New Zealand they can give magnesium wheels a thorough inspection / repair / servicing / paint so you'll easily find help or advice in the UK.
That's where I'd be looking - in the yellow pages for the experts in this field.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
It's particularly the surface prep I am being careful about here as I understand that magnesium is a bit more temperamental then aluminium.
Use something organic (oil based, no water / alcohol) like a wd40 or naphthalene base mineral spirits. Dry with a hair dryer on high and prime a primer designed for Mg.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just scratches in the paint Joe or scars in the mg?

:smoking:​

Just a few little scratches in the paint Ade...Not gouged into the Mg but the metal has been exposed, albeit to indoor conditions...You would hardly notice but I know Mg is temperamental material. I don't normally worry about the odd chip on a wheel ..It is part of the life of a wheel..but magnesium is different and requires attention to detail on an on-going basis.

I am wondering if need to dab an anti corrosion chemical onto the metal prior to priming and painting...

I see this as an ongoing management task once the bike is on the road and it is now ready..Shame the end of season for F4 is rapidly approaching..

Thank you also Dave and Tim :)

joe

Attachments

·
King of Bling
9,818 Posts
Joe

Cresent Motorcycles (Suzuki) offer a mag wheel refurbishment service, as they are UK agents for Marchesini wheels.. Might be wort giving them a call for some advise before starting any work on your wheels.

http://www.crescent-motorcycles.com/

I've got a tin of the proper MV mag wheel and swinging arm touch up paint.. ( not for sale)

The part number is : 800095396.

If you're going to keep these MV Mag wheels for some time, then it would be a good idea to have a tin of this touch up part in stock..

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Joe

Cresent Motorcycles (Suzuki) offer a mag wheel refurbishment service, as they are UK agents for Marchesini wheels.. Might be wort giving them a call for some advise before starting any work on your wheels.

http://www.crescent-motorcycles.com/

I've got a tin of the proper MV mag wheel and swinging arm touch up paint.. ( not for sale)

The part number is : 800095396.

If you're going to keep these MV Mag wheels for some time, then it would be a good idea to have a tin of this touch up part in stock..

Thanks John : )

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is that it!!

Get yer ass down the model shop for a small tin of Humbrol and a fine brush.............Job done!!

:popcorn:

I've got a big tin of gold paint...I deserve to have the P taken I know Ade :smoking: but I just don't want a little scratch festering..

Maybe I should put some TCP on it or something ha ha

joe

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

No worries Joe, I had visions of far more damage than that, as you will know touching up any metallic paint with a brush is not the best plan as the metallic particulates just don't react the same when brushing it.

The best way to deal with tiny chips like you have there is to keep it VERY local. Just touch in the chip itself with a very fine brush, just don't exceed the area of the chip, I'd use a magnifying glass personally to get it precise.

No need to prime, just clean the area with brake cleaner.

The whole deal may cost you getting on towards £2

:smoking:
Feckin Heck !! £ 2.00 !!! Dya think I'm made of money You guys on the Isle of Man have it good...:jsm:

That's nearly a pint in my local..:smoking:

http://youtu.be/8mdwAkWvWMw

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hi Joe,
I have two sets of Mags on both my MV and Duc. I went to my local paint shop and got the matching paint - PPG is good quality.

The guy at the paintshop gave me some very fine 2500 grid wet sand paper to clean and prep the surface. I used vergin olive oil vs. water as the base to prep and then used a soft cloth to wipe the debris - touched up the rock chip spots with a fine needle like nylon brush (don't use animal brush as it will leave small particles in your finish) primer and let it dry - and then touched it up with paint. Finished it off with a dab of clear coat and good as new.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Joe,
I have two sets of Mags on both my MV and Duc. I went to my local paint shop and got the matching paint - PPG is good quality.

The guy at the paintshop gave me some very fine 2500 grid wet sand paper to clean and prep the surface. I used vergin olive oil vs. water as the base to prep and then used a soft cloth to wipe the debris - touched up the rock chip spots with a fine needle like nylon brush (don't use animal brush as it will leave small particles in your finish) primer and let it dry - and then touched it up with paint. Finished it off with a dab of clear coat and good as new.

Good luck!
Thank you for that advice. It ties in with what Ade was saying about keeping within the scratch and not making ot any worse....

joe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts