MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Just finished making a magnesium hub as a special request.More pictures and weight coming soon.

1/ Raw billet.Aircraft grade magnesium AZ31B.
View attachment 301218

2/Finished product.
View attachment 301250
View attachment 301258

3/Hub in test jig to check clearances.
View attachment 301346
View attachment 301354
View attachment 301362
View attachment 301370

4/Finished product ready for packaging and shipping.
View attachment 301378

Magnesium hub has the same bearing set-up as my original hubs,only difference is 3 gun barrel holes through the hub to lighten it further (by buyers request) but not compromise strength.
Weights.
My hubs-1.8kgs
MV original hub-1.1kgs.
Magnesium hub-1.2kgs.
The magnesium hub is still a solid construction and not hollowed out like MV's hubs,so I am happy with the result.
Mitch are your hubs solid or hollowed out?

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Each time you remove and refit bearings, you are wearing away the hub material. Maybe an issue if you're swapping them each year which is a high frequency.
Then MV don't recommend changing bearings in the hubs at all.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Public thanks to Mitchy. This hub is a great improvement from standard. Can hardly wait for it to come back from getting coated. Cheers

·
Vendor
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks Clayton,that was fast postage.
Glad you are happy with the finished product.
A lot of effort was put into that hub and we made sure it was perfect.
Please show me how it looks after the coating.
I rang 4 anodisers here in Australia and they all said they would not touch it.
We have limited resources here compared to you guys.:jsm:

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Very nice work Mitch. Maybe it's time for an upMgrade for me. If there's demand, will you consider rolling some out?

·
Vendor
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Only on request and customer has to supply the billet.Mainly because magnesium is just too dear in Australia.:bawling:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Each time you remove and refit bearings, you are wearing away the hub material. Maybe an issue if you're swapping them each year which is a high frequency.
Then MV don't recommend changing bearings in the hubs at all.
If it come to the worst there is always Loctite.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Had the Magnesium hub out when I was doing maintenance & shock servicing. It was still clean and perfect inside. Bearing grease was like new. No wear at all. Gold finish is still looks like new as the day it went in the swing arm.

In my opinion the magnesium hub has been no more problem than a billet aluminum hub as long as it is surface coated and kept clean & lubed. I couldn't be happier with the hub. Mitchy did great work and the piece is still as new going on 3 seasons of use.

BTW the bearings came out with a little warming in the oven and went back in nice and snug after cooling them in the freezer. If MV built bikes as good as this part is, they would be bullet proof. Cheers

·
Registered
400 Posts
how much was the solid piece of Magnesium?
Honestly I can't remember what I paid for it, seems to me it was something like $300~$400 for AZ31 grade billet round stock. It may have been more than that, IDR.
I do remember it paid to shop around to find the best price. Some suppliers wanted a lot more than others. Regards

21 - 40 of 40 Posts