MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'Day,

Further to a previous post on this subject I'm on the road again. Got to give Andre and the Boys at Star Twin Trading a big thank you for getting me back on board quickly.

As far as internet trades go this is one of the best. As far as trading with bike shops it's brilliant. Not often I've been able to say that about a bike shop and I've been riding for 40 years! Competitive pricing but most of all brilliant communication with no bullshit.

On that note a couple of dealers (official) in Oz wanted between $1200 - $2000 dollars for the hub alone, never mind all the other parts I needed. Big debate raging here at the moment fueled by retailers about taxing internet transactions. With gouging like that why are they surprised? Even if they did tax I'd still shop elsewhere. Time they got on board like the rest of the world.

Thanks to all who replied to my original post with either info. or sympathy. Thanks to Mitch and The Knurl re Mitch's Hub. I would have gone down this road if my axle hadn't been stuffed. Got out of it for under $1000Au which I couldn't have been done having to buy a Mitch's Hub plus axle.

Paranoid now about the bloody thing. Took it for a test ride to do a bit of Christmas shopping. About 10k in traffic at 60k/h. Felt the hub when I parked and fuck me it felt hot, Shit myself! Had I done something wrong? Seemed a lot cooler when I remounted about 20 mins later. Took it straight home and rechecked torques. Have 200Nm on sprocket nut, 180Nm on wheel nut and 28Nm on pinch bolts which were my first concern. I read on the forum somewhere the hub should be 60-70 degrees C.

Hard to judge here in Townsville at the moment. Hot enough to boil a monkey's bum! 36C in the shade and 90% humidity. Road temperature must be in 40 - 50's.

Regardless I don't think the hub is up to sustained riding. Here in Oz you have to do a lot of miles to get somewhere. 800k (500m) days are pretty normal if you're going between centres. I don't reckon the hub is robust enough for that. Had a Sportster seize a rear bearing in Dubbo years ago. But that was after 5 weeks and 15000k loaded down like a camel.

So I will repair what's left of my original hub or buy a second hand one as an emergency measure to get me out of the shit on my next big trip. Shouldn't need to be that way.

Excuse my dribble.

Deano

:blah:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Sorry to jump on the bandwagon, but I have a OE hub assembly surplus to requirements as I now have a Mitch hub for my F4. I'll be putting it on ebay early next year if I have no takers before then.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
If in doubt pull it back out and check it. A lot better than another failure.
That's what Yvonne told me to do as well:naughty:

·
Vendor
5,408 Posts
Deano,all the hubs get hot mate,you have the rear brake there,chain and sprocket generating heat,axle and bearings spinning and all put together,yes the hub will get hot,also where you live is very humid so the whole bike takes along time to cool.Just check your chain is not too tight,other than that you should be OK.I must ask why did you need an axle? And did the bike shop pay for everything.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mitch,

When the hub shit itself I was 1000k into a 1400k ride from Brisbane to Townsville. Travelling hard and fast. Weather hot. Reckon road conditions were High 40's. Major damage. I have a lathe and had to machine outer bearing sleeves/spacers off. Axle was grooved under bearing surface both sides. definitely fracture points.

I'm a fitter and turner by trade and it'll be a cold day in hell when I let a bike shop touch my bike.

Cheers

Deano

·
Vendor
5,408 Posts
Deano wow,sounds like the hub was soo hot,every part decided to weld together.Didnt you say the sprocket nut was loose when the failure happened,because that may have had something to do with the failure.Did you contact the bike shop where you bought the bike,what was there response.Sorry about all the questions mate,just interested,that's all.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
hmm

So did you buy another OEM old style hub Dean, or did you get the new upgraded version with the new axle. There should be no problem with that compared to the old hub at least. You never told us what happened with the loose sprocket nut etc ?
http://mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43171

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mitch,

It was a private sale. Queried the state of the rear tyre when I made him the offer and he agreed to fit a brand new one. Genuine bloke. Initially suspected incorrect torqeuing of wheel nut by the bike shop that fitted the tyre, which may have been the case but hard to prove after all the damage. Pulling it down the sprocket nut was loose but again damage extensive so who knows?

Rode it away with 4135k on the clock, brand new for all intents and purposes. Shit the bed at 5200k. As I say hot, hard traveling. Convinced set up not up to this kind of riding.

To get anywhere from here is a major trip. My brother lives in Mackay 400k way so that's at least a 4 hour ride at legal speed. Man, I only stop for fuel which seems to be every 200k on this beast.

Shit happens, but I'm aware of the problem now. Still think the set up is weak for touring.

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Donsy,

Bought the upgraded hub and axle as it was the cheapest option. Wanted Mitch's hub but with a stuffed axle, too dear. Too much damage to tell if the sprocket nut was a contributing factor.

Cheers

Deano

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Aw shit mate

Donsy,

Bought the upgraded hub and axle as it was the cheapest option. Wanted Mitch's hub but with a stuffed axle, too dear. Too much damage to tell if the sprocket nut was a contributing factor.

Cheers

Deano
Bit of a catch 22 if your already paranoid about the new hub. Should be just fine mate.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts

The rear hub does get rather hot to the touch under normal operating conditions, but if your in doubt, then double check your previous work..

Yes, especially the spacer arrangement on the new hub as you don't use one of the old spacers I seem to remember.

joe

·
Registered
354 Posts
Shit happens, but I'm aware of the problem now. Still think the set up is weak for touring.

Cheers

Deano
This is what I feel about mine, I've done over a dozen trips involving more than 3000km. When it went well they were awesome. They are excellent bikes, but involve a lot of maintainence. I would be interested to hear how much time Donsy spends on maintainence, compared to his previous race bikes

·
Vendor
5,408 Posts
Deano dont be put off by what has happened,I rode my 1078 to Phillip Isle and back 5,000km round trip with no trouble at all.The bikes are fine for long distance.Just look at Outbackrider from Qld and look at the trips he does.Mate you had a failure but now its sorted,you will be OK now,get out there and enjoy,all the best.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers Men,

I'm going to ride and enjoy. Will definitely do the maintenance though at more regular than specified intervals.

Cheers

Deano

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
This is what I feel about mine, I've done over a dozen trips involving more than 3000km. When it went well they were awesome. They are excellent bikes, but involve a lot of maintainence. I would be interested to hear how much time Donsy spends on maintainence, compared to his previous race bikes
There was no previous race bike mate, everything I know I learnt the hard way on this bike.
Problems I had was the waterpump seal that leaked when I bought the bike at 1000km, replaced by the dealer before I left the shop. Bike had been standing a lot with previous owner (1000km in 3yrs).

Heat exchanger started leaking oil, solved it by tightening the thing back up. Threw it out a year later and installed a oil cooler.

Had the sump start leaking oil, just pulled it off and put form-a-gasket on it, never leaked again.

Everything else was due to race crashes or wear and tear. I now know how to service my Ohlins steering Damper and Forks, as well as replacing steering bearings etc. Still running original front wheel bearings and sprocket cush drive rubbers.

Did more than 5000km on first rear hub bearings, replaced the shitty bearing and did another 3k before installing a Mitch hub. Have done more than 5000km on that without replacing anything on it.

Ran the same Nippon Denso Irirdium plugs for almost 2 years, and use a MWR race air filter.

No real big issue's that I have to look at all the time. Bike is really very reliable, much to most of my competitions disgust.

Cheers Men,

I'm going to ride and enjoy. Will definitely do the maintenance though at more regular than specified intervals.

Cheers

Deano
Although I think the OEM hub is a bit on the weak side if treated badly, I don't think you have much to worry about with the new hub, and no reason why you can't go touring on it. Enjoy mate.

Deano dont be put off by what has happened,I rode my 1078 to Phillip Isle and back 5,000km round trip with no trouble at all.The bikes are fine for long distance.Just look at Outbackrider from Qld and look at the trips he does.Mate you had a failure but now its sorted,you will be OK now,get out there and enjoy,all the best.
Good example right here Dean.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Gents,

Reading al these incidents involving the rear HUB makes me a bit nervous....

I'm riding a 2005 750s Brutale. Bought it 6 months ago AND I LOVE IT :yo:
It has 18.000km on it (5000 done by me) and as far as I know it has its original rear HUB.
At last, winter is coming to an end in my country and I'm planning to make some nice(long) trips.

Should I prepare myself for some trouble??
For example, how long does a normal rear HUB last on a 750 Brutale, it's not the most extreme Brute on the list...
And more important, how can I check if it is in need of replacing :confused:

O dear, I am worried...

:wtf:

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Brutale Hornet,

My wife Jen has a Brutale started life as a 750, now a 910, it has had two hubs go in the past. Its not a "power" thing as far as I am concerned. So don't delay, check your hub bearings as soon as possible, and schedule the re-checks far more frequent than the manual says. Loads of advice and pointers on this site just do a search.

jimboF4

1 - 20 of 21 Posts