MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we're going away for a few days on the bikes, and I need to be able to carry some spare clothes/shoes (yes, and toiletries, we don't want to stink the restaurants/bars out, do we ... ).

I would like a tail-pack, but given the significant lack of anything sturdy accessible at the rear of the bike for fixing "generic" luggage, the only MV specific stuff I can find is:

http://www.designcorse.co.uk/Mv_Agusta_F4_Luggage/Ventura_Imola_Seat_Bag

or

http://www.designcorse.co.uk/Mv_Agusta_F4_Luggage/Sports_Rear_Tour_Bag

I don't want to use a rucksack, and don't really want to use a tank bag (mine is magnetic, and my "fuller figure" will no doubt keep trying to push it onto the plastic airbox :blush: )

So, just asking the question really - personal reccomendations for either or suitable alternatives please?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I have toured on an F4 on numerous occassions including a few 7 day tours and mange to fit everything, including shoes, wet weather gear, clothes and a digital SLR in a tank bag (which is not extended).

The tank bag.
View attachment 77074

wet weather gear is a nylon one oiece oversuit, shoes are Dunlop volleys (alternative is boat shoes - runners pack up to large). It is a matter of careful frugal packing, packing only what you need and being realistic about what you wear. ie 3 shirts (3 t-shirts and 2 t-shirts and a quick dry long sleeve 'dress' shirt from an outdoor shop). 1 shirt is worn on the bike for a few days leaving 2 shirts for the evenings with one becoming the riding shirt after a couple of evenings. Laundry is done when practical.

Alternatively, friends have posted clothes to the pre booked accomodation and then sent a package of dirty clothes home via the mail.

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Travelling light...........

So, we're going away for a few days on the bikes, and I need to be able to carry some spare clothes/shoes (yes, and toiletries, we don't want to stink the restaurants/bars out, do we ... ).

I would like a tail-pack, but given the significant lack of anything sturdy accessible at the rear of the bike for fixing "generic" luggage, the only MV specific stuff I can find is:

http://www.designcorse.co.uk/Mv_Agusta_F4_Luggage/Ventura_Imola_Seat_Bag

or

http://www.designcorse.co.uk/Mv_Agusta_F4_Luggage/Sports_Rear_Tour_Bag

I don't want to use a rucksack, and don't really want to use a tank bag (mine is magnetic, and my "fuller figure" will no doubt keep trying to push it onto the plastic airbox :blush: )

So, just asking the question really - personal reccomendations for either or suitable alternatives please?

I just did a few tours this year..Spain and Ireland and Blackpool lol.

Ok I didn't travel on the MV but..... The most useful and "flexible" piece of gear was a fully waterproof bright yellow heavy duty kit back gifted to me as I left for Ireland which has a simple and clever closing arrangement allowing you to squeeze most of the air out of it and seal it by rolling the open end and clipping together in a 3 second action.

These bags are expandable and contractible, they aren't hard so are easily "moulded" to the shape of the seat.
You just need to work out a way of bungeeing to the tail of the bike.

You don't need it to have "MV" on it. You need it to work well.

I would also use a little tank bag for maps, spare gloves,wallet, first aid kit, keys that kinda thing. I hate overloaded tank bags but a small one works well. If it has a little pocket on the side so much the better as you can keep change in there for tolls..Very useful...

This year I invested in proper Gortex lined boots, jacket, and trousers. This means I don't have to carry spare footwear, waterproofs. This in itself is a massive aid to reducing the bulk when travelling.

Joe

Attachments

·
Jason + Stanley Knife + D.I.Y = Casualty and
1,061 Posts
I've been away a few times on my mv and personal experience I hated having a tank bag on mine restricted the movement so much when having fun around mountain twisties
I've got the clip on tank bag with the bolt on ring where the fuel cap is
It's buy bag connections fantastic bit of kit just gets in the way for me

Ventura design is brilliant various bag sizes available,also it's reversible so you can sit it over the passenger seat so weight distribution is better

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
A decently sized back pack can carry anything You would need.
What You can get into a medium back pack will fit easily into a decent sized tank bag.
Or You can have a smaller tank bag and use a waist bag in addition.
I did many tours back in the days for a week or even longer.
So what is what You really need is what Russ said.
A credit card, money, toiletry articles, a camera, one or two T-Shirts, socks and undies, might a jeans or shorts, flip flops.
Yeah and some hand wash detergent, so that You can wash Your stuff in the sink in the evening.
Ahh and since the stupid 100ml limit at airports You can get even small tubes of tooth paste, body wash and so on.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys, but as I have said already - I do not want to be stuck with a rucksack/backpack. I find them too restricting around the arm-pits on the MV (I have tried) and they give me back-ache. I'd rather not use a tankbag (at least, not as primary carrying space) because I would be constantly pushing it forward over the steering damper thanks to my "fine physique"!!.

In the past, on other bikes, I would have used a small tank bag and a roll-bag bungied accross the pillion seat (Jeez, I went to Le Mans once with just a tank-bag, and small rucksack and that included taking a tent & sleeping bag) - but thanks to the undertail exhaust and all-enveloping bodywork, I can't see anywhere to do this without risking either melting bungies or damaging bodywork ....... I was just thinking that if this bike is here to stay a while, I might as well get a tail pack that will comfortably carry a few days neccessities securely, and I can't be the first person faced with this conundrum.

The items on Design Corse's website are the only ones I have found that are specifically designed to fit the MV rear end, and I just wondered what peoples experiences were, and if there were other similar products on the market.

I currently have a myriad of bike luggage (Krauser hard panniers, Swagman soft panniers, Oxford magnetic tankbag, Belstaff non-magnetic tank bag, no-brand magnetic mini tank-bag/map pocket, sealskins roll-bag, etc., etc.,) and having seen how the Ventura system mounts at the rear, via the exhaust hanger points, I could look at making a similar bracket but with hooks at the bottom I can use as rear-ward bungy mounting point, but I really just wanted something that is properly designed and fits right for the MV ......

Of course, the other option is I say sod it, and take my TL1000 instead .......

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DHL your gear to the hotel you are staying.

Now that's my kind of thinking - and something that has been done in the past :naughty: I am currently trying to off-load my luggage onto my son and his 600 Hornet ..... but need a back-up just in case - plus looking to the future he won't always want to go away when I do!!

The original plan was that another member of our group was going to take his bike and all our luggage in a van, as he has an even worse problem than us ..... plus a mere 80 mile tank range on his Desmosedeici - but he's had to pull out due to work commitments.

·
Super Moderator
21,447 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

How is the tail-bag held in place, please? and what stops the panniers from folding in towards the wheel? (can't see Youtube vids on my work laptop) ..... Do you have photo's of your kit on the MV?

·
Super Moderator
21,447 Posts
The kit is held on with self-contained bungee cords or with straps that have click clips.
There are soft neoprene removable pads that velcro to the surfaces of the bags that touch paint.
The panniers can swing freely, but do not generally contact the wheel in any detrimental way.
The bags come with rain covers.
The panniers clip to the tailbag.
The tail bag I use every day on several different motorcycles.

The following series shows how I ridiculously loaded a Yammy R-1 for a two week trip:

DSCN3057r.jpg

DSCN3058r.jpg

DSCN3059r.jpg

DSCN3063r.JPG

This included jamming an Aerostich suit in-between the tail bag and the panniers...not this is the bigger set of bags, not the sport bags...the sport bags mount in similar fashion.

·
Super Moderator
21,447 Posts
Here's the touring kit...not the sport bags....mounted on my S4Rs including the rain covers.

DSCN0049r.jpg

I don't have any pictures of the Sport Bag set up on any of my bikes.
Maybe this afternoon I'll mount them to the F4 and take some pictures so you can see how it works.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts