MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so today my 2005 brutale 750 ~8K miles...was running fine, then all of a sudden the headlight both high and low beam and directionals all stopped working while i was in traffic.
the small parking light in the headlight works, but thats it. brakelight and taillight work too.
I checked all the fuses in the box and all are good...next stop?

relays?
cdi box?

note: original battery, always on a tender, never an issue starting, no stalling issues. ill probably replace the battery just to be safe after i get this sorted.

any advice solutions are greatly appreciated!

thanks----Maire
also was it normal for the headlight(when it was working) to brighten slightly and the fan to speed up slightly when you increase throttle?

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Look at the back of the SPU. It it is blue, it is probably in the early stages of going bad. Get your self a new one asap.

The Brutale doesn't use relays to control the functions you mention.

Obviously, before you stroke a check for a new unit, make sure your fuses are good and the battery is in good shape.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks for the quick reply, Carl

would the age of the battery cause this or is it unlikely that if i change the battery things will return to normal? also would a fading battery cause the other symptoms i mentioned?

·
Registered
465 Posts
If all those systems share a common ground, look into that as well.

·
Administrator
20,064 Posts
The lights brightening and fan speeding up with rpm is because the charge system output has increased.
Do,what CAG suggested ....look at the back of your SPU (aka CDI)....after you check the fuses. If it is blue then it is the notorious for failing original. Search will take you to many threads on this topic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have this same issue. I got new spu and still have no headlight or turn signals. Go crazy cause I driving to myrtle beach on Wednesday

·
Registered
968 Posts
All the stuff that you say is failing routes through the left switch block. Check connections for the switch block check for ground continuity at headlight and blinker plugs. It`s not uncommon for corrosion to creep into connectors.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Definitely sounds like a connection issue going to the left control block. As for the increase in fan speed and headlight brightness, that's you battery not having the juice to run them steady on its own and your charging system taking up the slack. New battery is probably a good idea.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Dont forget the first step which is to check and see if the bulbs have blown, could just save you a headache.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just solved my same issue. I disconnected all my wire connections, spu and cleaned them with QD electronic cleaner. Then I checked grounds. She started working like new again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts