MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
An alternative may exist for the center stand and aftermarket exhaust. I have the Silmotor exhaust and they supplied this bracket as a stop for the center stand that bolts on on the right side of the center stand. The normal stock stop on the center stand makes no contact with the exhaust. Maybe Silmotor could sell you this small part for the center stand??

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks for the photos. Just need some time to progress now, I like the exhaust stop better so will see what I come up with.
That center stand really has a significant retraction force and my impression is the Silmotor knows the potential implications on after market light weight exhaust systems.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So last week I lowered my TVL. I replaced the existing dog bones that were 148 mm long with a set that are 163 mm. (15 mm difference) I had also ordered a set, actually made for a Suzuki, which are 154 mm long. I was pressed for time and so I elected to install the one's I had rather than wait for the others to arrive.
Yesterday they arrived, dimensionally they would work fine, but I don't know if they are strong. Here is a picture:

You will notice the difference in width, and how the OEM is tapered. It is important to note that the OEM are 5.24 mm thick while the new ones are 6 mm thick. The difference in the thickness will not affect the install but would contribute to strength.

dog bones.jpg

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's hard to tell if they are better or not. It would ultimately come down to what you are comfortable with. If you don't trust them then there is your answer. They don't look like milled billit alluminum or something fancy and strong. But they don't look weak either.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I lowered it once and while it was very comfortable for me, it was not ideal. lifting the bike onto the centerstand was more difficult but doable, it also was very low and limited ground clearance. I then found a pair of dog bones that are a length between the OEM and the aftermarket ones I installed.
The results is as close to perfect I'm going to get.
I don't have any pictures, but with the new dog bones the shorter Brutale side stand would not be necessary, the bike can easily be lifted onto the centerstand and the reduction of ground clearance in minimal. I did lower the front by, "1 bar" and the handling is good.

The second pair of dog bones I found where actually made for a Suzuki are 154 mm long and fit fine.

·
Registered
158 Posts
What do you mean one bar? I'm assuming you just loosened up the triple clamp grips right? Slid it down an inch or so?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
There are marks, or lines or what I referred to as "bars" on the forks. They are basically reference marks. Lowering the forks an inch would be way too much, think more like 4-5 mm or so.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I see. 1 is bar is pretty conservative. I wonder how lowering it would change the dynamics of the handling. I think it would look cooler for sure being a bit lower.

·
Administrator
18,854 Posts
I see. 1 is bar is pretty conservative. I wonder how lowering it would change the dynamics of the handling. I think it would look cooler for sure being a bit lower.

Lowering the front of the bike will quicken steering....same as raising the rear. Best to keep the bike level, lowering height front and rear equally if you like the way it handles.

Other things to consider when dropping the front of the bike (moving the forks up in the clamps) is tire clearance under suspension compression.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I had someone with a PhD in suspension dynamics that works on race teams lower my Brutale. He's lowered 3 bikes for me. If anyone's interested in pics or details of what Dave Rose of STM suspension in Fort Collins Colorado did to my bike it will be at the GAP-a-licious next week. As per Ed it tips in faster, but I like that responsive. It's set up for me. I have the advantage that my suspension yoda has a wife that is my size. My new Panigale has a link. Dave was busy working the pikes peak hill climb and then had family issues and couldn't get to it. Real suspension parts changes vs a link make a difference. My inseam is 28 and I am on tip toes. Yes my Dianese boots are a half size too big, but thats because I'm a euro 35 and can't reach my shifter or the ground!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts