MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am 5'7 30" inseam looking to buy Brutale 1090 with 32.68 in. saddle height spec. Too tall for me, what would be the max. inches I can lower the bike from 32.68 in. Thank you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hobbits, Dwarves and Trolls

I'm 5'6" with a 28 inch inseam, I have cranked the rear ride height down almost all the way and run the tubes in the triple clamps up the same amount. Both my feet touch the ground, not quite flat footed. Never measured the overall seat height when I was finished, but it still handles solidly with more than enough travel on either end.

Mark

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm 5'6" with a 28 inch inseam, I have cranked the rear ride height down almost all the way and run the tubes in the triple clamps up the same amount. Both my feet touch the ground, not quite flat footed. Never measured the overall seat height when I was finished, but it still handles solidly with more than enough travel on either end.

Mark
How many rings have you got showing on the front forks and have you done any adjustments to the suspension. Wanted to lower mine but have'nt had the balls in case I mess up the suspension.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had a couple of buddies have a suspension shop go into the forks and the shock and they can pull between 1 and 1.5 inches out of the suspension. Does change the feel.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Still setting sag and trying to find the time to get out and ride so i can decide how my initial setting are. Its the busy time of the year for me.

Mark

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
I'm 5'3" with a 27" inseam. Learn to ride it as is, no need to put both feet down, any lowering compromises the handling.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wound up raising the back end up and leaving the tubes where I had raised them. Bike handles well and has much better turn in. I can only get one foot flat on the ground at a time but thats just something that I have gotten used to. It was worse on the 999R and slightly better on my XR1200.

Mark

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm 5'3" with a 27" inseam. Learn to ride it as is, no need to put both feet down, any lowering compromises the handling.
I am about the same height . learning to feel comfortable without being able to touch both feet takes practice and a lots of confidence.
I agree lowering the bikes will compromise handling.
Very simple cheap fix instead of lowering the bike 1.5 inches is get some boots modified with 1.5 inch soles,not just the heels..Unless your extremely vain they look okay.
I have a 910r, Bimota yb10 and am very comfortable with both bikes without any mods of the suspension.I can't flat foot either,but the balls of my feet touch.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I hate to ask a dumb question, but going to risk it...

Have you gone to a dealer and actually sat on a 1090 yet?
I'm 5'7", 30" inseam and thought the same thing for 32" seat heights, which greatly limits the great bikes you can consider. I ended up going in to look at a Ducati with a shorter seat height. As it happened, an MV Agusta Brutale was sitting next to it which prompted my statement about how I wish I could get this bike, but its probably too high for me. I jumped on it and found that at 32" seat height, I can stand almost flat footed (up on the balls of my feet with about 1/4 of an inch up at the heel). It was actually comfortable! Do I tend to favor a side at lights? Sure. Is it do'able with both feet down if needed- absolutely!

My advice - go sit on one and see if its comfortable. Sit on it for 30 min and see if it grows on you before digging into altering the suspension or dismissing a great bike on your list.

·
Registered
3 Posts
if the bike sits too tall for your comfort, consider having the seat redone so that it is thinner. take the seat to an upholstery shop or someplace that does custom seats and have them thin it out and maybe use a gel.
a lot easier and much less expensive than lowering the bike.

i admit i have not looked at the seat close enough to see if there is enough seat to make it thinner, its just a thought.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
if the bike sits too tall for your comfort, consider having the seat redone so that it is thinner. take the seat to an upholstery shop or someplace that does custom seats and have them thin it out and maybe use a gel.
a lot easier and much less expensive than lowering the bike.

i admit i have not looked at the seat close enough to see if there is enough seat to make it thinner, its just a thought.
There isn't

·
Registered
90 Posts
I, too, am inseam challenged. The first two things I changed with my Brutale were (1) more comfy seats and (2) lowering the ride height.

The item I purchased helped with the seat height (perhaps 3/4 - 1 inch lower) is Sato Racing Adjustable Suspension Link Rod. I happened to purchase it thru ebay from a fellow MV owner for about $50, but I think you can purchase it new for $85 at their site. The part is just the double-threaded link with the hex portion in the middle.

I think there is a fancier titanium version of the same thing by anther manufacturer, but functionally, it does the same thing. (but costs about $250 ea. Jeeze!)

Basically, the link works because the hex drive portion in the middle is thinner (areas without the thread), allowing the top link and bottom link to get closer than stock. The total top+bottom link is shortened by about 1/4 - 1/2 inch, which relates to a bit more at the seat.

As a fellow inseam-challenged, I highly recommend it.

(Note: installation should be done carefully, so you don't cross-thread the Sato piece when you put it in the first time--took me about 1 hour and multiple tries to get it just right.)

As opposed to thinning the seat (not recommended--stock seats are pretty uncomfortable as is), the link offers more options.

·
Registered
47 Posts
handling?Front forks? Which Brutale?

I, too, am inseam challenged. The first two things I changed with my Brutale were (1) more comfy seats and (2) lowering the ride height.

The item I purchased helped with the seat height (perhaps 3/4 - 1 inch lower) is Sato Racing Adjustable Suspension Link Rod. I happened to purchase it thru ebay from a fellow MV owner for about $50, but I think you can purchase it new for $85 at their site. The part is just the double-threaded link with the hex portion in the middle.
Basically, the link works because the hex drive portion in the middle is thinner (areas without the thread), allowing the top link and bottom link to get closer than stock. The total top+bottom link is shortened by about 1/4 - 1/2 inch, which relates to a bit more at the seat.

As a fellow inseam-challenged, I highly recommend it.

I think there is a fancier titanium version of the same thing by anther manufacturer, but functionally, it does the same thing. (but costs about $250 ea. Jeeze!)

I did something similar on a cbr f4i and it lowered it about an inch.Made a huge difference and I cannot tell about the handling ,but seems okay.
Did you also raise the the forks about the same?

I am not sure the 910r has the link.
I have a thin tush and the seat is thin. What help on the last trip i put on Canali bicycle shorts with gel padding I could go 6-7 hours before MOnkey butt raised its ugly head versus 3 4 max withoutit. The gel is about 1/4 inch only on part of the shorts. Very effective.
I wear my 1.5 inch boots and I can touch both feet,but I must wear the boots. I would give the link mod a try if I can. Thanks I was not aware they existed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hmmm then maybe my solution is to make a short barreled threaded portion much like part #3 in your drawing but as much as an inch shorter. I can do that.

Thanks Dick

·
Super Moderator
22,445 Posts
Folks, I just acquired a 1090RR for my wife. She is 5'6" and has been riding a Ducati Monster 695 for over 10,000 miles. The stat for the seat height on the Brutale may be higher, but, due to the narrow profile of the seat, the reach to the ground is nearly identical to the Monster 695. Sit on one if you haven't already.

·
Registered
215 Posts
got the 990r but same ride height as 1090 test rode felt really high.( 54'' 29 leg). but the suspension has settled after first service . it gets a bit softer see how it goes before you mess with it.done a 965 miles now almost run him in.:popcorn:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I felt my Brutale was a little too tall but didn't want to cut my original threaded bolt down so I had 4 shorter ones made. The ride height at the lowest setting is now 800mm and the adjustment on the thread is 36mm in total. I'm really pleased with the result as it doesn't affect the handling as I haven't had to adjust the suspension at all. If anyone's interested in buying one of the other 3 bolts send me a PM.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts