MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just thought I'd put together a short post as it was a little difficult to find this information when I was lowering my 920 a few years back, and it's come time to do similar with my 1090RR. For context, I'm quite short at 5'4" - I won't disclose my inner leg length (depends where you're measuring from 😂), but basically I've never been able to flat-foot a bike I've owned...

BTW - Just wanted to acknowledge that I did come across BG's post (Y10 side stand on my Brutale 1078rr) which goes back a few years and his side stand swap is done for the opposite reason to mine (and he's done a great job glamming it up!). I've got the benefit of doing a side-by-side bike comparison, so if nothing, hopefully the photos add interest.

For context - to lower the bike, I've wound in the rear linkage to the max and dropped my forks through the triple clamps - still doing a bit of trial an error on the front height as it depends on rider height, weight and rider preference, but I've just grabbed a couple of photos to show where things are currently at.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exhaust Automotive fuel system

Crankset Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

As expected, this results in a pretty upright bike when on the stock side stand. Might not look it in the photo below (the one on the left), but it's vertical enough that if you're parking on some sloping ground, any sorta wind or passing vehicle risks tipping over the other side (not to mention my anxiety everytime I park up).

Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Fuel tank Automotive tire

After the sidestand replacement, the resting angle is much nicer for the bike and I can happily enjoy a bevvie in the cafe without worrying about coming back to a fallen steed...

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire

The following photos of both stands side-by-side are what I was trying to look for originally before doing the swap. The silver one is from a gen 1 brutale and is about 10mm shorter and slightly more angled than the gen 2 version. For me, enough to get the outcome above!

Rectangle Line Font Hand tool Tool

Hand tool Tool Font Metal Spoon lure

I only swapped the stand itself - not the entire bracket assembly that mounts it, and the side stand switch, to the bike. Note that the bracket assemblies also differ slightly between the two generations - mainly in the location of the lug where the spring connects to the bracket is slightly different, hence why the different shape of those "bracket springs" (i.e. 8000B3584) in the photo above. You'll need to use the appropriate bracket spring that belongs to the bracket assembly - that may be important if you're thinking of doing something like this and purchasing a used side stand off an online site which may / may not include the entire assembly.

Side Stand Part Number (1st gen) : 80A0B3583
Side Stand Part Number (2nd gen) : 8000B3583

Anyway, hopefully somebody may find this info / pics useful down the track - an MV purist may object but this sort of reversible mod is hugely convenient for a short person like myself (not to mention helps with the confidence in stop-start traffic).

If you've got to this point, thanks for reading! 😊

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just thought I'd put together a short post as it was a little difficult to find this information when I was lowering my 920 a few years back, and it's come time to do similar with my 1090RR. For context, I'm quite short at 5'4" - I won't disclose my inner leg length (depends where you're measuring from ), but basically I've never been able to flat-foot a bike I've owned...

BTW - Just wanted to acknowledge that I did come across BG's post (Y10 side stand on my Brutale 1078rr) which goes back a few years and his side stand swap is done for the opposite reason to mine (and he's done a great job glamming it up!). I've got the benefit of doing a side-by-side bike comparison, so if nothing, hopefully the photos add interest.

For context - to lower the bike, I've wound in the rear linkage to the max and dropped my forks through the triple clamps - still doing a bit of trial an error on the front height as it depends on rider height, weight and rider preference, but I've just grabbed a couple of photos to show where things are currently at.

View attachment 489418

View attachment 489419

As expected, this results in a pretty upright bike when on the stock side stand. Might not look it in the photo below (the one on the left), but it's vertical enough that if you're parking on some sloping ground, any sorta wind or passing vehicle risks tipping over the other side (not to mention my anxiety everytime I park up).

View attachment 489415

After the sidestand replacement, the resting angle is much nicer for the bike and I can happily enjoy a bevvie in the cafe without worrying about coming back to a fallen steed...

View attachment 489414

The following photos of both stands side-by-side are what I was trying to look for originally before doing the swap. The silver one is from a gen 1 brutale and is about 10mm shorter and slightly more angled than the gen 2 version. For me, enough to get the outcome above!

View attachment 489416

View attachment 489417

I only swapped the stand itself - not the entire bracket assembly that mounts it, and the side stand switch, to the bike. Note that the bracket assemblies also differ slightly between the two generations - mainly in the location of the lug where the spring connects to the bracket is slightly different, hence why the different shape of those "bracket springs" (i.e. 8000B3584) in the photo above. You'll need to use the appropriate bracket spring that belongs to the bracket assembly - that may be important if you're thinking of doing something like this and purchasing a used side stand off an online site which may / may not include the entire assembly.

Side Stand Part Number (1st gen) : 80A0B3583
Side Stand Part Number (2nd gen) : 8000B3583

Anyway, hopefully somebody may find this info / pics useful down the track - an MV purist may object but this sort of reversible mod is hugely convenient for a short person like myself (not to mention helps with the confidence in stop-start traffic).

If you've got to this point, thanks for reading!
Great information, as a shorter rider it's always an issue especially if I wear my sidi race boots. . My next job is to drop my 989r a little in the forks. Your pictures showing how many line on the for.ks is very hand. Big up the shorty riders.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts