MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at ways to lower the ride height on my MVTV as I have a 30" inside leg and I am very tiptoe at a stop which makes me feel insecure.

I have a Ducati Hyperstrada low edition which is great except I grind pegs and levers regularly and I am no Leon Camier! For this reason I am not keen on dropping the ride height via the suspension.

Upon further investigation I found a low seat option for £206, quite a lot to spend to lose 1cm but I did it anyway. It has definitely helped. Pictures attached.

I have also reduced the pre load to the manuals comfort settings as well as the rebound and compression, as it was in sport setup. The bike is far more comfortable to ride and is about 1cm lower overall. Both of these things have achieved my goal. Ideally I'd like the bike a little lower but it's no longer scary on cambered roads.

The seat too just a week to arrive at Cupar Motorcycles, very impressive. It's more comfortable than the original and looks great.

I hope this helps my fellow shorties out there.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
The low seat is also a comfort seat, I have the std. height comfort version. There's a gel insert under the cover which explains the extra comfort (and expense). Firm but you get off at the end of a day's ride without any arse ache. Having said that the original was pretty good as it was. Pleased with mine, also bought the comfort pillion pad, not that I carry a pillion, as it just looked right.

·
Registered
38 Posts
At 5'8'' and after 6 months of waiting for delivery, I gave up with the low seat option and cancelled the order. Had the 25mm lowering suspension linkage fitted and had my boots built up by about 20mm. Didn't drop the front forks at all, but had a real b*llocking off one dealer for "ruining what it took the factory 2 years to refine!". Handling still seems amazing to me though. Downside is that it can ground the centre stand on approach to my drive. Still taller than I would like. Damn it for being a short *rse!

·
Registered
137 Posts
After 3000+ miles I have sort of got used to height, as mentioned above I have no intention of lowering the bike but the seat option looks good. Is the cover of the lower seat less slippy than the standard one?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Is the cover of the lower seat less slippy than the standard one?
The comfort seats have an Alcantara top section (imitation suede, harder wearing and water resistant). Significantly gripper that the standard seat.

·
Registered
85 Posts
At 5'8'' and after 6 months of waiting for delivery, I gave up with the low seat option and cancelled the order. Had the 25mm lowering suspension linkage fitted and had my boots built up by about 20mm. Didn't drop the front forks at all, but had a real b*llocking off one dealer for "ruining what it took the factory 2 years to refine!". Handling still seems amazing to me though. Downside is that it can ground the centre stand on approach to my drive. Still taller than I would like. Damn it for being a short *rse!
I also have the lower seat option and lowered the rear 25mm. I did lowered the front 13mm to keep the suspension as close as possible to factory. I did tested a little with the front suspension as far as how much I lowered and found 13 was the sweet spot. After some time I lowered the rear 35mm and the front 17mm after some testing between 16 and 18mm and 17mm was the sweet spot for me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The comfort seats have an Alcantara top section (imitation suede, harder wearing and water resistant). Significantly gripper that the standard seat.
Thanks, looks like I might invest in the lower seat and get the comfort pillion pad as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I also have the lower seat option and lowered the rear 25mm. I did lowered the front 13mm to keep the suspension as close as possible to factory. I did tested a little with the front suspension as far as how much I lowered and found 13 was the sweet spot. After some time I lowered the rear 35mm and the front 17mm after some testing between 16 and 18mm and 17mm was the sweet spot for me.
Thanks for sharing your findings.
I'll give the front forks change a go and see how it goes.
When I asked about dropping the front forks, the same dealer who gave me a lecture about "ruining the set-up", said 5mm maximum! I didn't bother at the time.

I forgot to add that dropping the rear 25mm makes the bike very difficult to get onto the centre stand. I've got around this by making a little wooden block 4"x3"x1" (100mm x 75mm x 25mm) with a piece of elastic attached to hold onto, altough string/chord would do. I place it against the rear wheel, pull the bike onto the centre stand, the wheel rides up the block and bingo! onto the stand with very little effort. I then push on the front to lift the rear wheel clear of the block, pull on the elastic and the block comes straight out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for sharing your findings.
I'll give the front forks change a go and see how it goes.
When I asked about dropping the front forks, the same dealer who gave me a lecture about "ruining the set-up", said 5mm maximum! I didn't bother at the time.

I forgot to add that dropping the rear 25mm makes the bike very difficult to get onto the centre stand. I've got around this by making a little wooden block 4"x3"x1" (100mm x 75mm x 25mm) with a piece of elastic attached to hold onto, altough string/chord would do. I place it against the rear wheel, pull the bike onto the centre stand, the wheel rides up the block and bingo! onto the stand with very little effort. I then push on the front to lift the rear wheel clear of the block, pull on the elastic and the block comes straight out.
Please show some picture. Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm 5'6" with a 27" inseam. Yes the TVL is a tall tall bike. When parking the bike I have to be extra cautious about where I am, and if I will be able to get it off the stand or control it once it is off the stand. That said, just a hair under 9,000 miles and I have no intention of lowering the seat, or the bike.

For the record, you usually want to ADD preload if you want the bike to sit lower.

·
Super Moderator
22,871 Posts
For the record, you usually want to ADD preload if you want the bike to sit lower.

Care to explain your thinking here?:shocker:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts