MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my four wheeled fun. A 1988 Lotus Excel SE 2+2. It's a GT coupe for those of you not familiar with one of the rarer and less fashionable models from this famous British company

Had mine since 2003...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It's an interesting car, but looks like Lotus was having an identity crisis in designing it. Sportscar, hatchback, coupe, ....? I think it's awesome...like a period Toyota Supra merged with an Audi Quattro :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It's an interesting car, but looks like Lotus was having an identity crisis in designing it. Sportscar, hatchback, coupe, ....? I think it's awesome...like a period Toyota Supra merged with an Audi Quattro :)
Good way of putting it. Drives beautifully, really good in the twisties.

·
Registered
272 Posts
in comparison to the Europa, that thing is dead sexy!

May have found influence from the Isuzu design studio while they traded suspension engineering with them... about the same era as the Isuzu Impulse that was massaged by Lotus.

Show us some more pics! Please.

*edit, i wikipedia'd it.. Toyota collaboration not Isuzi.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in comparison to the Europa, that thing is dead sexy!

May have found influence from the Isuzu design studio while they traded suspension engineering with them... about the same era as the Isuzu Impulse that was massaged by Lotus.

Show us some more pics! Please.

*edit, i wikipedia'd it.. Toyota collaboration not Isuzi.
The influence is more Toyota to be honest, and more focused on drive train. The Excel shares many parts with the Toyota 2.8 Supra of the same period. Gerbox, diff, hubs, brakes, steering column, HVAC.

Some more images, taken in Worcestershire, England near where I live.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts