MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one has got me scratching my head. Bike starts and runs fine with no stalling or cutting out but....
when it's sat for a day or so on starting her up the instruments must have lost power as the trip meters are zeroed. The clock is not showing correct time either. Can't replicate it as I'm not even sure where to start looking. Oh, battery has not died as it holds a full charge. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Okay, if your battery is still good, then you have a bad connection somewhere mate, that's the only thing that resets your clock, total power loss.
I agree Donsy, but whyis it only occuring when parked up? You would think a bad connection would show up more when riding.

·
Registered
819 Posts
A new battery doesn't necessarily mean a good battery. How was it load tested? Did you do the procedure, or someone tell you they did it and it checked out fine? If you have a multi-meter its fairly easy to check the battery and charging system.

Been around bikes for decades and this is classic a description of a battery on its way out. The number one reason a dash resets is bad battery. Sure it could be a short to ground somewhere that is resetting the dash, but its rare that it is intermittent if shorting out through the harness. That usually is accompanied with the help of a varmint or two. Could be a faulty relay somewhere, but again wont know without multi-metering the electrical.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A new battery doesn't necessarily mean a good battery. How was it load tested? Did you do the procedure, or someone tell you they did it and it checked out fine? If you have a multi-meter its fairly easy to check the battery and charging system.
Hey Varium. It was tested by the battery place that sold me the unit, hopefully they would be on the level. Electrics is not one of my great loves. Mechanical I can do, but the ole electricity gets me stumped. I think I'll end up at the professionals where they know what they are doing. Could it possibly be something to do with the ignition switch when it's in the off position as it only manifests itself when not running?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
sounds like a bad ground somewhere. Also the battery testing that most shops do is worthless.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Hey Varium. It was tested by the battery place that sold me the unit, hopefully they would be on the level. Electrics is not one of my great loves. Mechanical I can do, but the ole electricity gets me stumped. I think I'll end up at the professionals where they know what they are doing. Could it possibly be something to do with the ignition switch when it's in the off position as it only manifests itself when not running?

That's the beautiful thing about the net. Even if one doesn't know a thing about something they can learn virtually anything through searching. Go buy yourself a multi-meter for like 20-30 bucks cause you'll need it more than once.
There are tons of places to find on the web as to how to properly test a battery. Its to much for me to type out here, but its really not difficult. Plus if the batt. does check out then you can use the meter to test your electronics to find it yourself.
There are a couple places on the site here that can link you up with a shop manual. Find the one for your bike and read through the electronics portion then move on to the trouble shooting section to chase down your gremlin.

·
Vendor
5,281 Posts
Power drain test with a multimeter.Set to Amps,positive lead to Negative terminal on battery,negative lead to good earth point on bike.Multimeter should read less than .01amp from memory.This will tell you if there is a leakage.Its a good start.Is there an Alarm fitted to the bike?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes mitchy, an alarm is on there. But the battery isn't draining as it cranks over no worries. It's like the battery is disconnected while not running. Yet go to start her she kicks over without an issue.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Try the easy stuff first. Remove alarm.....or remove the alarm connections within the oem harness. If going back to oem connections doesn't fix the issue then your alarm may not be the problem.

Has your alarm ever gone off for no apparent reason?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, the alarm doesn't go off. Like I said previously it's not a loss of power so the battery is dead, it's like the battery gets disconnected as it has a full charge when next starting. Gonna get in there over the weekend with the multimeter and have a poke around. I'll keep ya posted.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I think what Varium meant, and I certainly do, is that maybe there's an internal problem in the alarm, I don't know how it works, but is it possible that it might be isolating the feed to the dash circuit when turning itself off by accident or because it's faulty?
I say this because we've had heaps of guys with alarm problems with similar systems in the past, mostly UK members where alarm systems have been mandatory for insurance for some time.
Good luck mate.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got you drift Donsy. Might rip the thing off as I don't use it. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay. Finally had time to disconnect the alarm. Whoever fitted it did a bit of a messy job but now sorted. And...
Exactly the same issue! Turn the ignition key and it's a lottery if the dash lights up and the fuel pump primes. Totally dead, then later there's power. The only other odd thing I've just noticed is that when the key is turned fully anti clockwise to park the lights don't come on. I'm back to thinking it's the ignition switch, anyone know if you can take them apart?

I detest electrical problems. Mechanical is easy. Something breaks, ya can see it and ya fix it. Electrical is like some black magic mumbo-jumbo!!!

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Pfatty, I just read through this again.
Your symptoms sound like poor electrical connections or a bad battery.

What brand and model is your battery?
When was it new?
Have you checked and cleaned your ground connections?
What was the last thing done to your bike before the problem started?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey silentservice. The battery is only a couple of months old and in good condition. This issue was already happening and my first thought was a bad battery. Now I've got the bike striped I'll just work my way from one end to the other but first point of call will be the earthing points.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts