MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone elses coolant been going low? After having the dragster built then picked up, i noticed the resivoir was kinda low after a week. I ordered coolant from the dealer and added it. ( issue with the fill plug ) I noticed today its low again. There is no leaks i can find. Don't smell it burning. I have no clue where it is going!

·
Registered
560 Posts
If youre filling it up through the expansion tank and your radiator is low on coolant then youre just going to dump the coolant out of your reservoir and into the radiator. I would pull the right and side "fairing" and check the radiator level. If thats low, then fill the radiator and then fill the reservoir. I had an issue where my radiator cap was opening at the wrong pressure and allowing coolant to dump out of the bike like crazy. I tried, relentlessly, filling the reservoir every day only to have it be empty by the following ride.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mine did that. If I filled it up it used to drain out probably via the overflow. If I leave it alone it settles and stays the same. As long as there is fluid in the tank it's ok as it's an expansion tank.

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
Sounds like these bikes are like other MVs that have gone before. They like to be very low in the expansion tank. Filling them above the low mark when cool just ports the coolant out onto the ground out the overflow when the bike is at operating temp.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had this happen on mine and was worried it was either leaking or burning.I put about half a litre of coolant over a few top ups and the coolant level seems to have stabilized. I just got back from a 4000km road trip and the level hasn't changed. I'm going to chalk this one up to low levels in the rad as nneal12 mentioned.

·
Registered
181 Posts
When I first got mine I had the same issue. After adding coolant about 10 times it finally leveled out. Then....my radiator developed a leak and had to be replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine sat at the low level for the first year. After the winter storage, I topped off the coolant and now it sits at a normal level. Chalked it up to a bubble in the air line.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Same here. I just had my first service two weeks ago and I noticed her running a bit hot this past week. I checked her out this weekend to discover that I had no coolant left in my overflow and the level had dropped down substantially in the radiator. I topped her off with 16oz (.5L) of coolant then let her get good and warm and didn't have any overflow and the level in the overflow is about right. I'll keep an eye on her this week and hopefully that'll be the end of it.

·
Registered
14,561 Posts
tanks?

there are 2 types of tanks on MVs......

'99-'09 with pressurized "EXPANSION" or "HEADER" tanks and no cap on the radiator

'10+ with NON-PRESSURIZED "OVERFLOW" tanks that thermo syphon fill the radiator through a valve in the radiator cap

like every 4 wheeled vehicle in the World

:drummer:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had no coolant in my overflow so I opened the radiator cap and added about 5oz coolant. I noticed some white dried coolant on the very top of the radiator cap like it was leaking out of the cap. I'll need to keep an eye on that.

My bigger problem now is when I go to remove the hex head plug out of the overflow tank so I can top that up, the plug just spins in the tank (I can see the insert in the tank spin with it). Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
Yes, several have. Use the search function.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts