MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the other day I was getting gas for the Brute and as I was putting the gas cap back on I noticed that a lot of gas was dumping out from somewhere between the tank and the engine, it was literally pouring out, but stopped after about 5 minutes.

I suspect that a joint with the fuel overflow line is loose or busted or something. It does not leak gas otherwise and it is only if I top it off.

Has anyone experienced this? Was it an easy fix?

-LS

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Very common thing mate. One of two things happened, or both.
At the least, you overfilled the bike a bit causing the fuel to run down the overflow line situated in the fuel cap, this fuel should then run out onto the ground, the line is usually located behind the water pump.
If this overflow line is not connected under the fuel tank, then the fuel will run out onto your motor, very dangerous. Lift the tank and sort it .

At the worst, the line going from the fuel cap to the fuel pump at the bottom of the tank has come of causing fuel to run out, I don't think this is your problem, it might just be holed, but if you have fuel pouring out for 5 mins, please don't ride the thing till you check it out.

Do a search in the maint section mate, lots of info on these topics.

·
Registered
14,490 Posts
its a split in the vent or drain line right at the cap....

pull the fuel pump, change the fuel filter while you're in there

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok great guys for the tips, guess ill just have to take the tank off and see if I can resolve it. Does not seem like a very serious fix though which is fine by me

LS

·
Administrator
19,805 Posts
Same thing happened to me one day. Gas cap vent hose had rotted at the top, connection to the cap...fuel leaked until it was below the level of the rotted end.

If you are in the USA, You can thank the ethanol lobby and the E10 gas for this.

Easy fix. Do as The Knurl suggests. Also yank out the evap system if you have it (in the US? You do).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts