MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We'll there is play in the slipjoint on my corse exhaust. I realized that the outer slip is not precise fit, probably to accommodate fit variances in angles of the rest of the system, but the compressible clamping does not tighten enough to tighten. The shop where I purchased simply shimmed it shodilly with aluminum sheet.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
OMG. Theres a correct part for this 8000B3670. Why didnt they do it right when I bought the bike??
We'll I guess I cant complain as the rest of the bike is good to go but this is a critical piece.
Thanks GP Racing Alex for talking me through this correction and making the part available. Looking forward to some fun wrenching this fix at home :)
Maybe this thread belongs in maintainance.
BR

·
Registered
229 Posts
We'll there is play in the slipjoint on my corse exhaust. I realized that the outer slip is not precise fit, probably to accommodate fit variances in angles of the rest of the system, but the compressible clamping does not tighten enough to tighten. The shop where I purchased simply shimmed it shodilly with aluminum sheet.
Might I ask where you purchased the bike (perhaps Glendale)? -Davis

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no, the other place closest to it

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
pro italia appears better equipped, I terms of doing it right or not doing at all, but they charge for that and the timetables could be longer. I wish the place I went to's tech told me upfront this little detail so that I could've sorted it sooner, not wait till it flies off. I mean, factory service should mean original or upgraded parts and techniques applied, not a rigged fix or install, JMO. To be totally fair, I got a discount upfront on both bike and exhaust, and that have not been exceeded in expenses yet, and I do get some fun working on the bike out of it. In the end, I really cannot complain, I had a limited delivery schedule and they met that schedule best they could (big credit to them for getting the bike in sooner than expected and prepped on tight schedule and on a raining day. They worked hard and cannot fault them for their efforts. Tech need to learn not to take material shortcuts though unless its divulged as a compromise upfront and agreed upon. If I paid 1500 more, which is effectively the total discount, I'd be riding instead of researching fixes for her at this time. All good though as this is my backup bike (yes, I do commute with them as intended use) and prized baby so I don't mind taking it slow for now until I get it all sorted. All in all can't complain, as expectations are for the most part met and in some ways exceeded. YMMV be sure to ask questions :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Wow Fragile, your much more tolerant than I am. :stickpoke

let me get this right,

You haggled a price for a motorcycle with an upgraded exhaust that was installed incorrectly by a mechanic that could have led to disaster if it had failed.

But your OK with this because it didn't fail, and the money and time you spent fixing it properly and finding the correct part that should have been used in the first place, outweighed any potential catastrophe that may have befell you.

Wow...I'm glad things worked out, but if it was me i would have been back at that shop tearing them a new one for putting me potentially at risk for what amounts to them doing a bodgy job to offload a bike on an unsuspecting customer...but that's me.

Please note i'm not having a go at you here, just at idiot dealers who cut corners to save a couple of bucks and potentially put people's lives at risk.

I feel better now :)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the support George. I spent 4 hours last night one on one with my bike carefully taking her apart and got the exhaust off. To get exhaust off cleanly , several obstacles along the way, the ABS controller (shift slightly to get to tail cables, the belly pan, the exhaust valve, the side fairings, the rear fairings, heat shields, etc. Definitely need to have your space laid out to put all the parts. Pieces and pieces of foil blew into the muffler from the botched install. It took me some shaking to get most of it out. Now I have to get an exhaust spreader to properly fit the $22 correct graphite gasket that came yesterday ($30 including tax). Taking my own sweet time to do it right. I will finish by Saturday hopefully.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She's almost buttoned up. New gasket works great. I progressively snugged up the clamp bolt worried to overtorque, but needed enough clamping strength to seal it good. A couple of heat cycles and torqueing the slip joint and she is all sealed up :) Side fairings back on, a wipe down and all will be good again! By the way, the exhaust valve is still in operation, as it should be. It allows the bike to idle tame and turn into a singing beast as you roll on!

·
Registered
229 Posts
no, the other place closest to it
Gotcha; and yes, I'd be really "un-happy" w/ them and how they "rushed" your bike through. -Davis
P.S. My bike got the "rush through" but, it was the suspension. So bad that I might start a new thread (just so that) for other forum members might benefit from my own personal "poor delivery"; was overcome through "owner" education and correction. . .

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All is well now, thank goodness. I am not retired and don't have spare time to work on my bikes, that I why I chose to buy brand new ones. They upsold me the exhaust "johnny on the spot" and I love the pipe, its really rounds out the bike as the original does not have the pretty stainless steel and hand welds and shiny double walled slip sleeve and arrow springs and black tips and the corse logo. What they didn't tell me is that it really takes some good time to install an exhaust properly and that they would not be able to do it on the spot. I guess selling became more important doing it right for that piece. Rear brake was not optimized either, I had to re-bleed, and adjust the control rod length to get the right feel. This work is all new to me but I have mechanical experience in small gears/ electronics, and such and applied my previous life experiences to the job and its all well. My MV runs on ethanol free fuel as its the only bike I know that is simply not designed for the fuels we have at the pump- they didn't disclose that bit. My Duc remains my daily driver and racking the miles. Pro Italia have been very good at making sure my Duc remains reliable.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sure, I will load this soon, NLT tomorrow :) ITs pretty!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts