MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

My chain is loose and I am mechanically retarded. I don't want to mess with doing it and I also don't want to ride the bike all the way to San Francisco to have it tightened. Anyone know of a place that can do it closer to Gilroy? I can take it to my local Jap dealer but even they want to look at the maual making me uncomfortable. Ideas?

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
How loose is it? Are you jumping teeth?

You can run the chain sloppy loose with out worrying much about it.

You should take a nice scenic ride to San Fran and while you are there, have it adjusted.

Now if it was too tight...

·
Registered
456 Posts
I just had my chain tightened because i felt it was way too loose. It only takes a couple of minutes but the distance between chain and chain guard is important. Check your manual. On my F4 1000s its 6mm from middle of chain to lower chain guard.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great call. It does seem very easy and I can see where and how to do it. Unfortunately, I bought my bike used at Munroe Motors and now I need to call them about the tool kit. Thanks for the help!!

·
Super Moderator
22,611 Posts
Just keep in mind that a chain, if it is too tight, will effect the movement of the rear suspsension. Err on the side of a bit loose, rather than a bit tight.

·
Registered
364 Posts
It's a fairly simple process and doesn't require much in the way of mechanical knowledge/skill to perform however, if you are at all concerned have someone with mechanical experience do it for you.

Your local shop suggesting they would need to consult the manual is no bad thing, on the contrary in my opinion, it suggests they are a decent mob who care about getting it right, willing to consult the manual to ensure they are doing it correctly rather than just assuming they know what they are doing and potentially over tightening the chain or causing some other form of damage.

·
Administrator
20,343 Posts
Over tight is very bad news....also, remember that your ride height is changed when you adjust the chain, so measure that before adjusting the chain and correct it afterward.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yes it is not that difficult at all, even if you have never wrenched before...Make sure you get a good torque meter so you can tighten to spec. Craftsman make some good ones....Worst case take it to a Duc dealer near San Jose

http://motorcycle.nicholsmfg.com/ is also a good place as Admin/Alvin has had work done on his bike there. I plan on dropping my bike there for some work in the next few days. They also come highly recommended by many happy Duc folks in the Bay Area.

At worst there a few of us here in the area that can assist also.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I asked a good friend to look at my chain - he is a mechanic on Police bikes. He recognised the setup as very similar to a Honda VFR 800 and adjusted it accordingly. A good Jap dealership should be able to do it easily enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts