MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am looking to get my first MV Brutale. I wanted to know how reliable is this brand/model. Bike has 9100 milles.
The bike has tons of extras, including: Matris Damper, Arrow Midpipe, R&G Frame sliders, CRG bar end mirrors, DP Front brake pads, Custom Spencer Seat, Ohlins Spring on rear shock, Moto License plate relo kit and bar end weights, 41 Tooth rear sprocket, New EcU replaced under warranty in 2008, and new Michelin Pilot Power 3 tires. The bike also comes with a motocycle cover, battery tender, and bike stand.

I am new to motorcycle world. I recently purchased and sold the 2008 buell Lightning xb12Ss. Now looking to get another bike. Buell was my first bike and didn't ride much. Only rode about 500 miles.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
You'll love it. Other than the SPU, which is probably what was replaced not the ECU, the bikes are trouble free. Sounds like you are getting some nice upgrades with it.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
SPU = System Power Unit - basically a box of tricks that controls fuel pump, indicators and a bunch of other bits and pieces. It's located on the right handside of the bike near the bottom of the fuel tank.

The fuel map is in the ECU (actually an eeprom in the ecu), which is under the fuel tank on top of the airbox.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You won't regret buying a 910s. I've had mine for 6 years and still love everything about it. I'm not planning on changing any time soon.
The SPU (service power unit) lives behind the right side panel and incorporates the row of fuses. It has a tendency to play silly buggers, causing electrical and stalling issues. If it has been upgraded, the back of the unit will be black instead of the original blue.
Sounds like you're getting a nicely specced bike.
ENJOY!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seller said he changed the ECU not the SPU. He never heard of this. Going to see the bike on Sunday. I'll have more info then.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked out the bike. It's in mint condition. No issues whats so ever. I couldn't tell if the SPU box was changed or not. First owner might have changed it while it was under warranty. Current owner is not aware it. He didn't even know that Brutale has a faulty SPU problem.

Can anyone tell me from what year to what year SPU problems were around? This bike model is from 2006.

I only have one concern with this bike. I feel like I am too tall for it. I am 6 ft tall and my knees keep hitting the gas tank. Gas tank flares out so not much I can do to change that. I didn't test ride it but just from sitting on it I feel like this bike isn't for me.

What do you all think?

·
Super Moderator
22,066 Posts
Jaindesi, first welcome to this madhouse!

Second, you can adjust your foot pegs to accommodate your legs.
I am 6'2" and fit just fine under the wings of the tank.

Download the manuals for your bike from the maintenance section under Manuals for All to Use and set the bike up for you. Chances are the previous rider and you are different sizes.

·
Administrator
19,517 Posts
I checked out the bike. It's in mint condition. No issues whats so ever. I couldn't tell if the SPU box was changed or not. First owner might have changed it while it was under warranty. Current owner is not aware it. He didn't even know that Brutale has a faulty SPU problem.

Can anyone tell me from what year to what year SPU problems were around? This bike model is from 2006.
All the Brutales prior to around 2008 had suspect SPUs.....a solid state relay circuit box. Several threads on this subject. I would wager that is what was replaced, as malfunctions were very common prior to the improved version.

Great bikes....you will want to invest in some aftermarket rear sets to make it yours. Don't think the 910S came with the adjustable ones found on the R model.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Don't think the 910S came with the adjustable ones found on the R model.
My 910S had adjustable one's ED, I think the 750's had the solids.

·
Administrator
19,517 Posts
My 910S had adjustable one's ED, I think the 750's had the solids.
Ahhhh...well, I've been wrong before, and will be again.:loser:

In that case...adjusting the OEM foot rests is a piece of cake. :brutale:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. I think I am going to pull the trigger and pick up the bike tomorrow. I live in Jerse City, NJ Anyone close by that would like to Ride together?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have an '06 910s and love it. I have a 40 tooth rear sprocket off of an F4. That little mod tamed a lot of the throttle sensitivity and gave it slightly longer legs. You can tell if it has the upgraded SPU. Count the fuses. The newer SPU has 12 fuses. The old ones had 13. I have a new one and the bike still exhibits a few electrical quirks, such as blinking headlight on low beam and the high beam flash flickers. Other than that, I love the bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am back again. I went to pick up the bike with my friend who knows more about the bikes. So he discovered two missing bolts where the frame connects to the engine. So we asked the seller and he said there were frame sliders on both sides which he took off and gave it away to his friend. he never replaced the sliders with a bolt to secure the frame to the engine on both sides. Also i want your opinion on the existing sliders that are on the frame. I want to know if the location is the right. When I set on it I was hitting my leg shin on to the slider making it discomfort while riding.

Another thing he found unusual he found was the header gap by the engine. He said he removed the headers when he did the oil change and he rode his bike with no problem. But to us it seems strange why the gap is there. Not sure if the bike is made that way or is it his mistake. I uploaded some pics under my album so it will give you better view of what i am talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Also, can you tell me what the size of the missing bolt would be? I will need two bolts, one on each side. I found a loose connector behind the headlight on the right side of the bike. Is that the diagnostic plug to connect it to the computer system?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I don't have or previously owned a b4 but your desperate for help so I'll answer what I can. Those frame sliders are in the wrong place, no wonder your hitting your shins on them, they should be where the missing bots are. I don't know about the gap in the headers but it's the first time I've heard of someone removing them to do an oil change?

As for the bolts, they're probably the same size as the lower ones, where the sliders are now, might be shorter though as those might allow for the added thickness of the sliders? Sure a current owners will be best places to tell you for sure, have you tried messaging some of those who replied earlier?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Ackers, You need to loosen the headers to get the oil filter out.
Jaindesi, The sliders definitely look to be in the wrong place, and it seems weird that those bolts were never replaced, they're not just there for show!

Dave.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Would anyone know what part number it is for the bolts? I am planning to put the sliders back to where the missing bolts are. I will need the right bolts to put back in where the sliders are now.
Also from the pics I posted, what do you think of the headers. Is it set correctly, suppose to stick out like that?

Thanks everyone for helping me with this.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts