MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I want to get some new leathers. My current set, a Z Leathers two-piece suit, is in OK shape, but I want to have a 1-piece and something with more current armor. I can't complain about my Z's at all - they've done their job, and one time in a really big way when I crashed @ Willow Springs going into turn 1 (very fast).

The obvious choice is to go back to Z and have them make me a 1 piece.

But I want to open this up to see if there are some other options I should consider. JamesC and Ben (odonata) have suggested Kushitani, and I'll probably ride up to Marina del Rey and check out their stuff.

My other thoughts are:
Alpinestars (off the rack)
MotoGP (off the rack)
Berik (off the rack)
Arlen Ness (off the rack - but I'll have to get outside the USA)
Vanson (custom - on the East coast, so have communicat over the phone)

I'd like to keep this under $1500 USD, but, we'll see how that goes.

Any suggestions? Thoughts? Comments?

Just FYI - these will be pretty much track use only. I have an Aerostich Roadcrafter 1-piece I use for the street. BTW, that is the BEST road-use MC garment! I love it, even if I do look like a giant high-lighter pen.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Bates in Long beach.
NGK in San Clemente.
I'm in the same boat and intend to check these places in person next month

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
hi

If you are going to get a suit for the track then the best option is custom cut. It can have greater ventilation than required for the road and should be shaped more for a "racing" position which makes it great on the bike but uncomfortable when walking around.

Consideration should also be given to the type of protection, plastic or padding. There are pros and cons for both.

If in Oz then the choice would be simple, Tiger Angel.

good hunting

Russ

·
Registered
40 Posts
For custom leathers, I'd recommend Syed (www.syedleathers.com) or Barnacle Bill's (www.racingleather.com). I have a Syed custom 1-piece suit for which I paid around $1100. It's very well made. Many amateur racers and track day enthusiasts also report great experience with Barnacle Bill's. Both Syed and Barnacle Bill's do repairs, also.

Joe

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I also have a custom syed and love it. I think we talked about this over IM but after waiting and waiting and waiting for a custom with a different company AND with no promise of completion..I cancelled with them. On short notice Syed got me a full custom suit in just days.

I had johnson leathers send syed a full set of T-pro armour for my suit as this was the one place I wasn't comfortable..but then IMO Tpro are the top choice.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Kushitani get good reviews. I will check them out myself this winter for a 1-piece. They do some decent perf suits. I have heard that they also are not doing the suits in this new 'reflective' leather, which should make it even cooler on hot days. I forget the specific name of it.... I think Held do some leathers in it as well.

Anyway, question on Arlen Ness: Why outside of the US?

Also, what is the relationship between Berik and Arlen Ness?

I'd check out Arlen Ness as well... see what all the hype is about roo.

If you do fit off the rack, that's kinda nice....saves some $$.

-colin

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Colin - Arlen Ness leathers are made by Madif , who also make MotoGP and Berik. Madif has a pretty impressive collection of riders in their gear, including Bayliss, Hodgson, DePuniet, Nakano, Xaus, Vermeulen, and so on. The name "Arlen Ness" of course belongs to the custom cruiser bike builder, who has licensed it to Madif. In the USA, Arlen Ness (the builder) has an agreement that only cruiser-related apparel is to be given the Arlen Ness moniker. All the sportbike stuff, such as the leathers, cannot be distributed or sold in the USA. However, the MotoGP and Berik branded stuff is fine. The reason I know this is I called Arlen Ness (the company) and asked.

And this is part of the reason I'd like to get some. It would confuse the crap out of the cruiser types! And I'd have a set of leathers that nobody else would have, which is damn hard to do in a place like LA and Orange County.

As for off the rack fit, (as David asked), I really don't know. My first set of leathers were the Z's. I need to go try on a few. But my build is fairly normal, a little on the large-ish side - 6'2", 190#, 44 reg or long jacket, 34 waist (36 after the holidays).

One place I will go is to the Dainese story, which is located in Costa Mesa, CA. See how those fit me to start.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
That explains all the cruiser crap I find when I go web searching for it.... They've got some nice looking stuff, they had a bunch of it at Motegi, and some show up in local shops. Great designs, though locally I mostly find 2-piece, which I've already got.

good luck on the searching.... Dainese makes some good stuff as well. I've got tons of it, anyway. Perhaps paying more for style, but it works for me. Some complain the lower end stuff is not so good, but higher end stuff is great.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Alex,

Keep in mind that the leathers, and most helmets except Arai, you buy off the shelf is not exactly the same one your favorite rider wears. If you fit off-the-rack leathers, you are in luck because Motonation is clearing out their NOS Spidi leathers.

If I am in your shoes, I would buy leathers in the top half of the known brand. It just doesn't matter how well known the brand is, cheap suits are just that pissed poor.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
to get an idea as to what may constitute "good leathers" visit www.tigerangel.com They have explanations as to what makes some leathers better than others and why good leathers cost more.

And good leathers (including gloves, boots and helmet) can make a big difference when you come off should you be so unfortunate. been there, done that, minimal damage to body and bike.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
emmevi125s said:
to get an idea as to what may constitute "good leathers" visit www.tigerangel.com They have explanations as to what makes some leathers better than others and why good leathers cost more.

And good leathers (including gloves, boots and helmet) can make a big difference when you come off should you be so unfortunate. been there, done that, minimal damage to body and bike.
A bit of trivia...Tiger Angel apart from making great leathers and being high on my list for my next purchase are also the manufacturers of Kushitani leathers here in Aus. Price/import duties have made Kushtiani too expensive and to overcome this they now send the required leather and badging to Tiger Angel for construction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts