MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a classic MV Agusta as a sunny weather bike. At the moment I'm mostly comparing the 125 sport model with the 350 ipotesi.
I prefer the looks of the 125, however the ipotesi seems more suitable on the road.
There are currently 3 on the market whom caught my interest;
all 3 are on www.mobile.de but I cannot place a direct link here?
The first one is a 125 for €3799 with the first production number. But in need of work.
The second bike is a 125 for €3950 that has been restored, but with some mistakes I believe. wrong frame colour and side covers.
The third one is a 350 Ipotesi for €4000 that has been restored, but is sold as a non running bike. which seems quite risky.

What do you aficionados think about these bikes their condition and prices?

kind regards,

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have ridden an MV 350B, which was a delightful little bike, but the only Ipotesi that I rode suffered from bad vibration in the upper rev range. I mean REALLY bad. I rode it from London to Wolverhampton, and it was one of the most unpleasant bike journeys I have ever experienced. It was a nearly new example in excellent external codition. I would not condemn them all, on the basis of just one example, but I would advise you not to buy one unless you can test ride it.

What do others think about the Ipotesi?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I have a Ipotesi which has the 400 kit installed ,which is supposed to make it vibrate more. I haven't riden a standard bike so can't compare. But to me it doesn't vibrate anymore than my Vtwin Ducati.
To me the weak points of the Ipotesi are the Scarab brakes and the valve seats which failed on mine. Upgraded the brakes to Brembo

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I have a couple of classic 125 cc MVs and refer to them as my latte bikes. They are great for a short trip to the local cafe, pub or bike shop but i wouldn't like to do a day ride on them. The 1969 125 GTLs is a nicer bike to ride than the 1975 125 sport but the sport is a better looking bike. This sentiment has been echoed by a friend who also has both bikes. There is an article on the 1975 125 sport in a classic bike British magazine from a few years ago (e-bay should produce some results). The 350 bikes are better for a long ride but in all honesty, why would you when a modern bike is a heaps better rider. Again, the 350 is fine as a 'bigger' latte bike.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I have a couple of classic 125 cc MVs and refer to them as my latte bikes. They are great for a short trip to the local cafe, pub or bike shop but i wouldn't like to do a day ride on them. The 1969 125 GTLs is a nicer bike to ride than the 1975 125 sport but the sport is a better looking bike. This sentiment has been echoed by a friend who also has both bikes. There is an article on the 1975 125 sport in a classic bike British magazine from a few years ago (e-bay should produce some results). The 350 bikes are better for a long ride but in all honesty, why would you when a modern bike is a heaps better rider. Again, the 350 is fine as a 'bigger' latte bike.
I disagree. Yes, there are better new modern bikes but I think it's not about that and enjoying the bike .I love riding the 350 on bigger rides ,it's definitely got enough power to have some fun,plus it's so light compared to the big modern bikes that helps also with the enjoyment.

·
Super Moderator
21,416 Posts
Man, why can't something like that show up in the USA....?!

·
Super Moderator
21,416 Posts
Thanks! And I agree with the soucing form overseas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Ipotesi which has the 400 kit installed ,which is supposed to make it vibrate more. I haven't riden a standard bike so can't compare. But to me it doesn't vibrate anymore than my Vtwin Ducati.
To me the weak points of the Ipotesi are the Scarab brakes and the valve seats which failed on mine. Upgraded the brakes to Brembo
Adrian, I am chasing a bit more info re the valve seat failure. Is it both inlet and exh or just exh. Mine has had no problems but I am unaware of much of its history so don't know if replaced or not. How can I tell. I would rather have a preemptive repair than blow up the top end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts