MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got a sweet set (4) of Melotti led turn signals for my Brute and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good load resistor for them. I've got them all pre-wired and ready to go. Does anyone else have these installed? I think they look quite choice. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have the Melotti signals on my 1090RR...

But the 1090RR has LED signals all around. If your Brutale has bulbs you may need the resistors.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just got a sweet set (4) of Melotti led turn signals for my Brute and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good load resistor for them. I've got them all pre-wired and ready to go. Does anyone else have these installed? I think they look quite choice. Much appreciated!
I got these on my 1090RR - no resistors needed. Not sure about the earlier models. I guess it would be a trial/error game on models with conventional OEM bulbs.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Resistors for Melotti indicators

Put these on my 2009 1078 Brutale. Bought cheap resitors off ebay ( 4 for $5 or so). Work fine.

Cheers

Deano

·
Super Moderator
22,504 Posts
BB74, if you have done the calc and know the resistance you need, go to an electronics supply house, like Radio Shack or Do-It-Yourself Electronics and find heat sink resistors in the spec that you need. Those resistors will get hot, so they need to be able to shed heat.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got those as well, tried some cheap stuff, did not work. Bought som expensive but working from Oberon Performance in the end.

Cheers!

Magnus

·
Registered
203 Posts
I got these on my 1090RR - no resistors needed. Not sure about the earlier models. I guess it would be a trial/error game on models with conventional OEM bulbs.
The game trial/error is never advisable when it comes to electricity, especially not on a motorcycle like the Brutale (and his famous SPU :stickpoke ).

Simply, use Ohm's law, and/or DC multimeter to be sure.
P=U*I
U=R*I

(http://www.sci-culture.com/advancedpoll/GCSE/electriccurrent.html)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Found these in the basement...

They were from a set of LED front turn signals for my old CBR929RR. If the collective thinks they'll work, I'll send them to the OP...

Where's Donsy? :stickpoke

Attachments

·
Registered
909 Posts
If you replace the flasher unit with one for LEDs, then no resistors are necessary; I run Melloti indicators at the rear, and standard at the front.

Try RS Electronics, or similar.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I haven't checked the wiring diagram, but can't you just splice ONE into the feed to/from the spu (or the switch on the handlebars) rather than having to do all the leads to the indicators ?

·
Registered
203 Posts
They were from a set of LED front turn signals for my old CBR929RR. If the collective thinks they'll work, I'll send them to the OP...

Where's Donsy? :stickpoke
These four resistors will add too much load on the circuit.

At a voltage 13.8 V, EACH of these resistors (4.3 ohm) pulls 3.2 A, which actually turns out to be 44W of power.
Each turn signal on the Brutale uses 10W bulb, which is only 20W per side, so it turns out that four of these resistors significantly overload the circuit and could lead to a blown-fuse or even damage to the SPU.

For older Brutale, additional resistors (4) should be in the range 22-26 ohm each (which is 8.6 to 7.3W on 13.8V) because the aftermarket LED turn indicators are usually only 1-3W.
NOTE: The resistors also beside the "ohm" must be marked with a "10W" (or more) if less than "10W" they will generate more heat, and if it is below "5W" will probably burn out after a few minutes.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I changed to just cheap ebay micro indicators to fit a Melotti FE on my 1090RR and they flash faster than normal, i've got Melotti indicators coming and ordered resistors with it. See if i do actually need them, mine are all LED standard so i was surprised when even the cheap LED ones flashed faster

·
Registered
185 Posts
Have read this thread with much interest!
I changed my tail tidy by a Melotti one, turn signals included.
I was pointed out that it was better to use the resistors even my bike has the LED turn signals as standard.
Have done so and the result is they flash like the standard ones.
No problem....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts