MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a good brand for my '14 F3 800......lithium ion wanted .....also do I need a charger or when try say maintenance free they actually mean that

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would get:
Shorai LFX Lithium Battery
Type: LFX19A4-BS12

I'd also get their Battery Management System for $75. Well worth it.
Cheers

·
Registered
114 Posts
Anyone know of a good brand for my '14 F3 800......lithium ion wanted .....also do I need a charger or when try say maintenance free they actually mean that
Q:
What is a maintenance-free battery?
A:
QUICK ANSWER
A maintenance-free vehicle battery is one that is not designed to be opened or refilled. The liquid solution in conventional lead-acid batteries can evaporate, lowering the level in the battery and rendering it inoperable. Sealed batteries use materials to fix the electrolyte in place, removing this necessity.

So you still have to charge it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Bought and fitted this last week, fits perfectly and much more reliable usage:
Products
------------------------------------------------------
1 x Shorai LFX14A4-BS12MC Battery (LFX14A4-BS12MC)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Anti Gravity batteries, made in USA. You need the charger too.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Antigravity, Shorai, Ballistic...... Take your pic, at least 4 popular brands are manufactured in the USA.
You don't need a specific charger from Antigravity, although a decent charger is a good idea, as long as the charger does not have a auto de-sulphate mode.
I've put so much info on Li batteries up already, have a look in the General maintenance section, this is not a 3-cylinder specific topic.
Have a look in my photo albums, there's pictures and info in the maintenance album.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've just ought the Shorai one along with the charger. I like the fact it plugs into the battery rather than having to wire it up on the terminals.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I got the Shorai I mentioned above though did not see anything on the charger and just wired on the factory charger which I have not yet used.

Can anybody advise if this is ok? Will it still charge? Cause any issues etc.? Or do I need to look into a new charger setup too?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I like the Shorai Battery Maintenance System because it includes STORE MODE for maximum battery life during long-term storage, CHARGE MODE charges, balances, and performs cell diagnostics. Also features a retractable hook to hang from grips, frame rails, or seat straps. Operating Specifications: 100V~250V 50/60 Hz AC Input; 2A max charge rate.

While standard lead-acid chargers can be used with Shorai LFX when needed, the BMS01 is specifically designed to charge, store, maintain, balance, and diagnose your LFX battery.

There you have it.
Cheers!
Steve

PS: The battery you picked up has Cold Cranking Amps of 210 while the one I had mentioned cranks at 285 which in theory might be better for the starter motor issues. Who knows...

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I've given up on the SSB batteries. Moved to a different brand with a two year warranty as I seem to kill every battery after 54 weeks....

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Where are you in this little world ? Antigravity is in the USA, easy to phone.
Look at their website, they clearly recommend chargers.
But fwiw, they charge with any charger that does not do auto desul mode. 12 cell is recommended in cold climates in general, but a 8 cell will do great in moderate temps. I use a 8 cell in the 1000.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am in NYC soon to be LA. I was planning on calling them when they open later today, just thought I would ask the gurus first. I like that 4 way charger as I have 4 bike and plan on swapping out all the batteries with Lithium ones eventually.

·
Registered
217 Posts
folks, for those who bought or are thinking about buying shorai batteries, I have a few pieces of info:

1) use their fitting chart. if you do not buy the right "fitment", you may have meet resistance when you try to warranty in the event a series of cells dies. and the cells do die, not from wear/tear, but just from production anomalies (IMO). I had one less than 1YO that apparently just dropped cells and I wouldn't get more than ~9v.

2) Instead of buying the $75 shorai charger, the IMAX B6** chargers from ebay does balance charging, and is officially "recognized" by Shorai as serving the same purpose as their own charger: Imax B6AC+ 50W AC/DC Dual Power Balance Charger for RC Lipo/NiCd Battery X1W3 . These chargers are also just amazing for trickle charging your old pb batteries (as well as your "summer" cars during the winter) because you can specify charging mode (based on battery chemistry) as well as charging time + amperage + voltage.

2a) what you need is a JXT-SH connecting cable (Shorai part # SHO-RCADAP12), which runs about $7 on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Balance-Extension-Battery-Adapter-Connector/dp/B00JBP1RGG/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1485369152&sr=1-2&keywords=JST-XH+4S . This connects the BMS port from the Shorai batteries to the IMAX B6 chargers

3) great thread on shorai batteries here on avriders Motorcycle Batteries .. AGM, GEL, Wet, Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) | Page 88 | Adventure Rider

4) the "correct" Shorai battery, at least for the first gen Brutale, is LFX19A4. This turns the starter at least 50% faster than the LFX14A4 which I've used for years.

Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts