MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was meant to ride into Wales yesterday but mate who lives over that way bailed on the ride as there was some rain forecast and was fearful of having to polish the bottom of his crankcases again (serious OCD...). So self and another mate rode into the Cotswolds, other direction and better weather forecast, for lunch at a pub in Hook Norton.

It occasionally rained lightly for the first hour or two, nothing that required waterproofs, so the road varied from moist to dry in places. At one point we passed the entrance to a quarry which had a layer of limestone dust stretching about 1/4 of a mile in either direction from lorries exiting the site. Due to dampness of the surface this was liberally spread across the nether regions of my TVL. I understand that limestone dust is particularly corrosive so once home I thoroughly washed the bike with a soak, SDOC100 and rinse and agitate with a soft brush where I could reach, externally it looks good again now. However, any moisture would have likely carried this solution into the deepest recesses which is giving some rise for concern in the medium to longer term. Will go and spray some WD40 into anywhere I can reach this morning in the hope that this will help. Any other suggestions short of a full strip down?

Interesting chat with the time-warp beer delivery drivers at the pub!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, various locations. Usually done before winter but not a bad idea to thoroughly douse the bike. Thanks for suggesting.

Tried to get my local guy to do mine late last year but he'd had a spell in hospital and want taking bookings. Bought the liquid myself but didnt find the time to apply it...

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
WD40 would be my suggestion too.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have done some application of WD40.

New AllYearBiker franchise in Hereford (local to me), have fired off an email to them.

·
Registered
926 Posts
TV's look a little different to how I remember ^^^, yours has furr, damn quarry dust. lol.
I would on this rare occasion get out the pressure washer (I never normally use one on a bike) and carefully spray in the area's that are effected keeping away from bearings and seals just to be sure its all gone and then dry, spray WD40 and leave for a while to soak.
I love the smell of WD on an engine reminds me of my yoof polishing up the 2 stroke, quick squirt of the WD brings out the black nicely, no silicon polish in them days.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I would've dried off everything with compressed air or a leaf blower

·
Registered
141 Posts
ACF50 in an aerosol is good I have done mine and it looks great . iF you read the website the can can do two treatments . I used the whole can with a load of newspapers underneath sprayed liberally and left to soak for 24hrs. It does creep and can be messy afterwards but it works. Absolutely do not get it on the pads or the discs. I have used it mixed with parafin as a freeing oil before.

It brings black plastic up like new and protects it as well. I spray a small amount into an old ice cream container and use a childrens paintbrush and the small foam type paintbrushes from a kiddies kit to apply into small gaps.

Well worth it. Lots of smoke on first start up but it vaporises around the engine.

I also use the ACF50 GREASE it is mega and has dielectric properties for electrics.

ACF-50 Anti Corrosion Treatment

Corrosion Block - Anti-Corrosion compound, oil and grease

·
Registered
392 Posts
I am bout to apply some ACF 50 to my bike and I am OCD about keeping her shinny, not riding in the rain often.

On greasy areas, sprocket, brakes and belly of the Tre-Pistoni, I use Simple Green. I do use the pressure washer, but I know where to spray hard and where to go light. I have always used it on my KTM dirt bikes and it works great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts