MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys I need a lil advice from the forum about a certain situation I have recently encountered. I dont know if anyone else has had a similar problem like this but here goes.....

I have a '05 F4 1000 and I am located in a place where I have the only MV in town. To make a long story short I took my bike to have 2 things that needed to be done:

1. I needed to replace 1 fuel injector (which was purchased from a good guy on this site for $100).

2. I needed to have 2 scratches on the left fairing and 1 (small pinky nail size) chip on the gas tank which I was quoted the price of $400.

Now close to a month later I receive an email with an invoice attached to it with the following information:

WORKED PERFORMED

Forks dismantled, cartridges flushed & oil replaced (Klotz 5W)
Steering bearings repacked
Wheel bearings inspected
Shock & suspension pivots greased
Cush drive inspected
Chain cleaned
Rear hub dismantled & greased
Brake/clutch fluids flushed & replaced
Brake calipers washed
Throttle cable lubricated
Brake & clutch lever pivots cleaned & lubricated
Spark plugs cleaned & gapped
Valve clearance inspected/ adjusted
Motor mount bolts tightened
Throttle bodies cleaned & synchronized
#1 injector replaced
Vacumn lines replaced
Fuel lines & quick disconnects replaced
Fuel filter replaced
Air filter replaced
Seat lock replaced
Oil & filter replaced (Klotz 20/50)
Radiator flushed & coolant replaced
Electrical grounds, starter connection cleaned
Engine shampooed
Left fairing & gas tank repaired & painted

Parts/Supplies = $595

Fuel filter - $10
4 liters Prestone coolant - $20
2 liters Klotz 20w/50 - $40
2 liters Klotz fork fluid (5W) - $50
4 Oiteker clamps - $10
Brake/clutch fluid (DOT 4) - $10
525 master link - $5
Van rental $45
Body work repaired and painted (Ottawa Valley Custom) - $400

Labor = $850

Total = $1440

So as you can imagine I was in complete shock, pissed off like you wouldnt beleive and my first reaction was to go over to his home and choke the shit out of him, especially since I made it very clear that I only needed 2 things done to my bike and thats it and "BOOM"! So I guess my question is has this happened to anyone else and if so please tell me how the hell did you dealt with it!? I will also say that this is not a dealership I am dealing with, he is just a guy that likes to work on high end bike out of his garage.
Thanks guys and I hope you can lend some good advice before I have to sell the bike for bail money.....lmao

cheers

·
Super Moderator
21,420 Posts
If you didn't authorize it...you don't owe it...at least in the US. Where are you?

·
Super Moderator
21,420 Posts
Someone from the Canadian Contingent will chime in.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thats not the point! The point is I never authorized this man to do anything on my bike but what I asked him to do. It would have been a totally different story if he was giving me a day to day update on things that HE FELT needed to be done but that wasnt the case. If it was he would be getting his money like you say.....and some!
But hey thanks for your opinion

·
Registered
727 Posts
He should have called you before doing all the additional work. A lot of the work sounds like a 7,500 or 15,000 mile service. How many miles are on the bike?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It has just barely over 13,000.
Dont get me wrong if this is what needed to be done and I was contacted before hand and told this then that would have been a totally different story, at least I would have had a choice in the matter.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Thats not the point! The point is I never authorized this man to do anything on my bike but what I asked him to do.
So, because you didn't authorize needed work beforehand, you feel you're entitled to get the work done for free?

Owning an MV Agusta is expensive. You need to face up to that. Like I said, be glad he did the work and pay the man. Stop trying to get something for nothing.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Are those Canadian $? Not that it matters much.

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that if you did not authorize the service you shouldn't be billed for it. Period. However, giving the shop the benefit of the doubt, there was a miscommunication somewhere and it sounds like they did the major service.

You were coming up on the service anyway and now it is done.

WTF is a Klotz? Prestone is junk and is not recommended for your bike, neither is Klotz. Two liters of factory oil should be closer to $23 not $40.

Subtract the materials cost and labor cost of changing the coolant and engine oil. Buy the correct stuff and do it yourself. Pay him for the rest, thank him, but tell him if he pulls a stunt like that again not only will you not bring your bike to him, but you will make sure any who has access to a computer knows what happened.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what you are saying is that I can take any of my 4 bikes to get lets say a mirror fixed and if the mechanic feels that work needs to be done to my engine then he has the right to do what he wants with my property as he sees fit!? Thats BS! And where did you read "work for free"? I understand this is a forum of free speech and I respect that I truely do, but you my friend sound like a complete freakin moron! I know just what the cost of owning an MV, I have 2 and 2 Ducati's so the expense isnt an issue! Its about ethics and whats right and whats wrong. I am not going to be "glad" for work he did when he wasnt authorized to do it. When you take your car or your bike in to get serviced do they call you with what needs to be done before hand or do they do all the work then call you and tell you what they have done afterwards?

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Not that Elton needs me to defend him, lord knows we used to smack each other around quite a bit, but he is not a moron. Well, politically maybe, but not about other stuff.

Luv ya Elton!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Canadian dollars. Yes I do agree with what you are saying about it was coming up on service anyway. I have no freakin idea what Klotz is or I didnt until now..lol
Like I said its the principal of the matter and the way it was handled thats my main concern. And Carl this is the guy that told me that I was going to have to replace the whole thing and not just the 1 fuel injector I got from you...thanks for the advice CAG

·
Super Moderator
21,420 Posts
So, because you didn't authorize needed work beforehand, you feel you're entitled to get the work done for free?

Owning an MV Agusta is expensive. You need to face up to that. Like I said, be glad he did the work and pay the man. Stop trying to get something for nothing.

Just my opinion.
Hi Elton,

My two cents: If I take my vehicle in for specific repairs. I get an estimate. If the authorized repairs come to within 150% of the estimate, the it falls within reasonable repair cost. If the mechanic feels that there is additional work that "should" be done, but wasn't within the original scope of the work, then I would expect a call prior to performing the work. I don't recal, in my experience, a time when this wasn't so, and , were it to happen to me, that mechanic would certainly be off my list and we would certainly have a disussion about the ethics of the shop with the owner of that shop.

Looking at the list of what was done versus what was requested, I am not sure the mechanis would be able to collect those funds here.

That being said, I'm not in the situation.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
When you take your car or your bike in to get serviced do they call you with what needs to be done before hand or do they do all the work then call you and tell you what they have done afterwards?
No offense taken. No worries mate. Look, I'm not trying to be a dick, you asked for input and I voiced my opinion. My point being, if the work needed to be done, then what's the difference whether you authorized it or not? Now it's done and you're better off for it. And assuming your mechanic performed needed work at a reasonable rate, I believe he's entitled to be compensated for what he did. If you don't appreciate a mechanic taking the initiative, I'd pay the man and instruct him never to do unauthorized work on your bike again.

But be careful what you ask for!

And to answer your question, "Yes," I'm totally okay with my mechanic taking the initiative and doing unauthorized work. (Within reason. I think your case falls, "within reason.") I appreciate my mechanic being proactive, and he in turn isn't worried that I'm gonna try and stiff him for unauthorized work. We've never spoken about this explicitly; he just knows that I'm an honest man, and as long as he presents me with a fair invoice, he knows I won't try to get something for nothing.

Again, just my opinion.

Elton

·
Registered
168 Posts
Google is your friend as I am sure you are probably not the first person who has had this happen. Would I be pissed....hell yea. A dealer know better than to try this stuff. Thats why they have you sign a work estimate and there is a price cap on it. anything over the cap and it requires your approval. It sounds like you didnt have anything in writing but it doesnt give him carte blanc to go ahead and pad the bill. If you have an email trail between you and him of what you wanted done I would think that a judge would side with you. If you have no paper trail proof you might have to pay up minus the wrong fluids used as they are against manufacturer recommendation. Thats my .02.

Good luck, I would concentrate on getting the bike back and not let him get wind of your dismay until you are in front of him and the bike in case things get ugly. Oh and bring a friend, a big friend.

·
Registered
909 Posts

Just my opinion.

Couldn't disagree with you more!- At the end of the day, it's NOT the dealers bike, it's the customers!
Even if the work was due, the dealer should NOT assume that the customer wants him to do it- he(customer) may be planning to do it himself! And any additional work should be authorised!

Sounds to me like this dealer is a chancer- his choice of fluids doesn't inspire confidence either!:jsm:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I appreciate all the advice guys. Like I said this guy is not a dealership mechanic he just does it out of his garage. There wasnt any agreement of work above and beyond what I requested to be done. @mrinflux as far as "major" service to be do.....it was already done! Thats why I am pissed off. Im not worried about getting my bike back from him at all, I will get it no matter what. I'm not big on confrontation so I'm looking for other solutions. But like I said I respect your opinion 2 fold. Its all about ethics guys and so what if I have an "exclusive" bike and its a joy to work on......let me freakin know!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Maybe there was some miscommunication between you two?

But IMO, and I believe this is common sense, the mechanic should have inquired with you prior to doing all the extra work (and from the looks of it, that's alot of "extra".

This is not about how expensive MV's are to maintain. If in fact you asked the mechanic to only work on the items you requested, he should not have done them.

I have never, ever had a mechanic (both independent and dealers) go forward with work that were not authorized by me first.

My 0.2 cents

Mike

1 - 20 of 68 Posts