MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding yesterday, I've decided that I definitely need to try to find the lightest helmet possible. I've had a couple of herniated discs in my neck for the past 5 years or so. I could have an operation but don't really want to risk it (I have done the steroid injections in the spinal column many times). Fundamentally, I just need to deal with it.

Anyway, I think wearing a lighter helmet might make me more comfortable when riding. Right now I'm wearing an Arai RX7 Corsair. I'm assuming a CF helmet will bring the weight down. Anyone have any recommendations/suggestions?

Steve

·
Registered
673 Posts
Here is a helmet weight comparo.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-weights.htm

I have the 06 AGV Ti-Tech, which is among the lightest full-face, non-carbon helmets. I love it. It's noticeably lighter than my 06 Corsair, but more importantly it is more stable in the wind which I think makes more of a difference than weight alone. It's very loud (I dont care - I wear earplugs anyways) but doesn't move quite as much air as the Arai. Harder to get on than the Arai, but feels better once fitted.

·
Registered
106 Posts
sgcullen said:
After riding yesterday, I've decided that I definitely need to try to find the lightest helmet possible. I've had a couple of herniated discs in my neck for the past 5 years or so. I could have an operation but don't really want to risk it (I have done the steroid injections in the spinal column many times). Fundamentally, I just need to deal with it.

Anyway, I think wearing a lighter helmet might make me more comfortable when riding. Right now I'm wearing an Arai RX7 Corsair. I'm assuming a CF helmet will bring the weight down. Anyone have any recommendations/suggestions?

Steve
You might want to consider the Vemar VSR Carbon Fiber helmet. Extremely lightweight, beautiful build quality, noise and fit not unlike the Arai RX7RR3. Difficult but not impossible to find.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lewolfmd said:
You might want to consider the Vemar VSR Carbon Fiber helmet. Extremely lightweight, beautiful build quality, noise and fit not unlike the Arai RX7RR3. Difficult but not impossible to find.
Yeah, I sent you a PM a while back when you were selling yours...never heard anything back...thanks alot dude. :stickpoke Seriously, I am thinking that the Vemar might be the way to go. Cryptyk's point is not lost though...how stable is it at speed? (don't care too much about noise, I'll wear earplugs).

·
Registered
53 Posts
OGK is suppose to be one of the lightest full face lids out. I checked one out couple years ago, very high quality...similiar build to an Arai. I believe they have since pulled out of the US market though.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Get The Carbon HJC Carbon AC-12. I got the 'Vader' version that matches the Senna paint quite well

I have the Ti-Tech AGV and a couple of Shoei's. I rarely wear them anymore! The HJC is incredibly light, is very comfortable and is easy to put on and take off unlike the AGV. The only downside is the visor is fairly flimsy, but isn't an issue when it's closed.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I should have my Vemar Carbon by the end of the week. I tried it on and loved it. Of special note is the visor.. seemed to have more visibility then my Arai Corsair RX-7 and the visor itself was much clearer. The visor is also thicker (i think) and i like the choices of visors (lightly tinted, silver, blue and iridium).. i loved them so much i got all of them and i negotiated a great price for the visors. Helmet i think i could have found a better price on. It's very comfortable and stable.

·
Registered
379 Posts
OH! ....and more importantly! I had back surgery on a badly herniated disk in my lower back a couple of months ago.... like you I was very concerned about the prospect. While I was in excruciating pain, I was still (somewhat) functional. I had heard too many horror stories of spinal surgery gone wrong to risk jeopardizing that limited functionality with the prospect of zero functionality.

However I reached the tipping point where I felt it imperative to do something about it. I did a ton of research and called every person I knew who had gone thru it,- professional athletes included...... all the responses led to one place...

http://www.spinela.com/

Dr. Watkins JUNIOR is the guy who operated on me. Absolutely Fantastic! An amazing guy. Their office is filled with authographed photos of every major sporting star, in all sports, from the 1970's onwards.... including Eddie Lawson and Wayne Rainey. This is the absolute best spinal clinic in America, if not the world. There is a surgeon in Germany that is doing some really radical stuff and Robert Watkins JR studied and worked with him over there.

I know a little bit about neck issues as I broke my neck in 2 places on a motorcycle. C5 and a bilateral fracture of C6.

You should make some enquiries. If nothing else, Watkins will be completely upfront and honest with you about your prognosis.

Kevin Hannigan

·
Registered
360 Posts
I highly recommend the Shoei X11. Great at high speeds and light to boot. Saying that, it isn't the quietest thing around.

·
Registered
106 Posts
sgcullen said:
Yeah, I sent you a PM a while back when you were selling yours...never heard anything back...thanks alot dude. :stickpoke Seriously, I am thinking that the Vemar might be the way to go. Cryptyk's point is not lost though...how stable is it at speed? (don't care too much about noise, I'll wear earplugs).
I apologize for overlooking your PM. I use the Vemar VSR and Arai RX7RR3 (Agostini Replica) interchangably and see no difference in stability or noise at speed.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lewolfmd said:
I apologize for overlooking your PM. I use the Vemar VSR and Arai RX7RR3 (Agostini Replica) interchangably and see no difference in stability or noise at speed.
No worries...I was just busting your balls. :nutkick: Thanks all for the comments on helmets.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
khfx said:
OH! ....and more importantly! I had back surgery on a badly herniated disk in my lower back a couple of months ago.... like you I was very concerned about the prospect. While I was in excruciating pain, I was still (somewhat) functional. I had heard too many horror stories of spinal surgery gone wrong to risk jeopardizing that limited functionality with the prospect of zero functionality.

However I reached the tipping point where I felt it imperative to do something about it. I did a ton of research and called every person I knew who had gone thru it,- professional athletes included...... all the responses led to one place...

http://www.spinela.com/

Dr. Watkins JUNIOR is the guy who operated on me. Absolutely Fantastic! An amazing guy. Their office is filled with authographed photos of every major sporting star, in all sports, from the 1970's onwards.... including Eddie Lawson and Wayne Rainey. This is the absolute best spinal clinic in America, if not the world. There is a surgeon in Germany that is doing some really radical stuff and Robert Watkins JR studied and worked with him over there.

I know a little bit about neck issues as I broke my neck in 2 places on a motorcycle. C5 and a bilateral fracture of C6.

You should make some enquiries. If nothing else, Watkins will be completely upfront and honest with you about your prognosis.

Kevin Hannigan
Thanks for the advice Kevin. I am getting to the point where I may have to do something about it too. I get an almost daily headache from the pain and tightness...it sucks.

·
Registered
617 Posts
SG:

My personal experience is with Shoei RF1000 and Suome Spec 1-R. The Suomy is SO MUCH LIGHTER. I recommend it highly. Claims to be the lightest full race designed helmet around. Could just be advertising speak, but I really felt the difference in my neck, which has a chipped bone from an accident in a car many years ago.

Even went out and bought my fiance a Spec1-R and she loves it, too. She likes the colors of the Toseland Replica I got her. :)

Find what you like, but I recommend the Suomy based on my experiences.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I used to have neck issues. Big time. In my case the tweaky riding position on a "superbike" with your head pulled back all the time definitely contributed. Got off the "superbikes" and on to the Brutale. Neck issues GONE.

Another difference is the Schuberth helmet. they are very *quiet* in the aerodynamic sense of the word, i.e., VERY smooth in the wind. Far less head buffeting and less neck stress than any helmet I've owned. the g-forces of buffeting at speed can IMO cause far more stress than the slight differrence in weight between a couple of helmets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts