MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if someone has done a before and after when removing weight from the MV, using an actual scale? And what all was changed?

Would be cool to see what kind of weight could be saved...

·
Registered
604 Posts
Very interesting as well as expensive. Is the Veltro Pista the lightest MV?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
159 kg = 350.534997 Ibs. (http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/)

That's pretty light. My CBR400RR was 164 Kg dry..

But the Veltro Pista's missing all the road-going gubbins so is going to be lighter than any of us can get ours. I'd have thought an F4 Oro would probably be as light as they get, with all that magnesium and cf? (And that was still a bit on the porky side.)

Si

·
Ball & Chain magnet
3,027 Posts
yes... i agree.... i'm lazy.... thanks for the info....it's hard to believe that it is down to 350#'s.....I bet that is a hoot on the track.... I need to wiegh my bike to see what I've dropped to.....hehe...... maybe I have lost 20 pounds or so.... not really sure... the main loss is with the Ti exhaust (arrows),then forged alum. rims, then Ti bolts/nuts, then c/f, then me.....still in the process of loosing a few pounds myself. :conveyer:

·
Living the Dream
2,755 Posts
With all the changes i would say that the first thing changed should be the stock exhaust. that thing feels like it weighs 60lbs!!

What is the weight of the road going Veltro? That would give you a good number to shoot for if you are looking to cut some fat, and yes, very expensive to replicate! :banghead:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
TheCatWhisperer said:
159 kg = 350.534997 Ibs. (http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/)

That's pretty light. My CBR400RR was 164 Kg dry..

But the Veltro Pista's missing all the road-going gubbins so is going to be lighter than any of us can get ours. I'd have thought an F4 Oro would probably be as light as they get, with all that magnesium and cf? (And that was still a bit on the porky side.)

Si
Ah no! the ORO had sand cast engine cases that negated most of the weight saving from the carbon and magnesium,

I'll repeat what I have said before, don't get sucked into a weight thing aganist Jap bikes, I read last week on a road test the MV was only about 8-10 kg's heavier than the jap 1000's

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I read last week on a road test the MV was only about 8-10 kg's heavier than the jap 1000's
There must be someone here who can definitively test this? Many of us have more than one bike so surely someone's got a GSX-R1000 or R1 and an F4? Granted I don't suppose your average bathroom scales are going to be accurate to that kind of weight, but someone must have access to a weigh-station?

When I changed my 750's horrid plastic front fender for a carbon one at the weekend I was seriously shocked as to how much that standard bit weighs. The difference between a Japanese 1000 and an F4 is perhaps not as large as we fear, but I'd be shocked if it's only 10 kg.

Si

·
Registered
90 Posts
I hate to say this!!!

But the MV is a bit heavier than the Jap 1000s. Wheelers in Robbinsville NC has a scales and I have seen weights of 423 lbs from an R1, 424 lbs from a GSXR 1000, and 425 lbs from a ZX10R. These had all fluids in them and some weight saving exhaust systems and farkels.

My MV Agusta F4 1000R with full fuel tank on the same scales weighed in a 476 lbs. That's over 20 kgs heavier.

The stock Jap bikes weighed in at around 450 lbs which is about 26 lbs lighter (about 10 Kg)

Now, we just need Dany Pendrosa to ride our bikes to tip the scales in our favour.

·
Registered
604 Posts
With that much of a weight difference, I wonder how these magazine riders are turning the fastest times on the MV? What the hell would the ride be like if it were just 20-30lbs lighter? I bet the Veltro Strada is something else to ride...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know for sure that my MV is pretty heavy. I had to push it and a GSX-R750 up the same ramp, and the MV was much harder :)

My original question was about if people have bought the lightweight parts and weighed them compared to originals.

My thoughts are that I need to spend money on slim fast, not carbon, for my own purposes. But this stuff is interesting.

I wonder how much weight can be taken off the crank?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
There was a guy selling a 750 a while back that had evrything you could do to it, ti, mag and carbon everything and I'm pretty sure he published the weight.

I think it was for sale on ebay and the guy selling it joined in here on the discussion about it. I don't have time to search for it now but if no-one finds it I'll have a look later.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Broms said:
Is changing the wheels the best way to reduce unsprung weight?
When you look at what weight is unsprung, the list is pretty short. Wheels would top that list as 100% unsprung, and also rotating mass. The swingarm is only half unsprung. Other than the tires themselves, the other unspring bits are relatively light.

The original 5-spoke wheels are fairly heavy, so if you go to to a forged Marchesini or even lighter, you *will* feel the difference. Initial turn-in and side to side transitions are quicker.

·
Registered
924 Posts
This does make me laugh :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: All my mates are worrying about reducing weight on there Blades R1's etc by spending ££££ on their machines, they then go and buy the thickest leathers they can afford!! and all are over weight by about 10 KGs!! I lost weight last year and it saved me money and now me and the bike are better off for it...... :laughing:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts