MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So as a few of you may know last weekend I rode the 400 miles (7 hours) up to Willow Grove, PA to test ride an MV Agusta F4 1000. I arrived just in time for the last outing of the day thanks to the courteous and kind hearted generosity of Fast by Ferracci waiting on me since I had gotten lost at least twice in Philadelphia due to locals having no clue on where I was trying to go. Anyway the test ride went great; the bike felt very precise and I had very few minor complaints.
I thought that the brakes were a bit too spongy, the ride height was quite high, the tank was a bit too wide, neutral was near impossible to find on the first try, and the disengaging the clutch felt odd for some reason to me. Other than that things were near perfect and I could not have expected it to feel that good. I liked that you could hear the internal workings of the motor at idle (camshafts I think) and that you could also feel a bit of vibration through the bike.
Now here is where my problem arrives. I have been a Ducati guy since riding (actually parking) a 916 about 10 years ago when I was a waiter / motorcycle valet at an Italian restaurant. I have owned at least one Duc since 2000 and as much as I hate the bike because of maintenance or servicing, ridiculous parts cost, labor, and the retarded dealers I have had to deal with, for some unknown reason I still bleed Ducati red. I cheer for Ducati racing and even for some of their riders that I hate (Xaus, Gibernau), I at times find myself hoping they do well for the sake of the factory. I don't know if it is because my dream bike (916) at the time popped my cherry as the first Italian bike that I ever rode or that later the 916 became my first bike.
As much as I enjoyed riding the MV I feel that I am just a V-twin guy for some reason. I am still considering selling my Ducati, but right now rather than splurging for an MV, I am looking at a 2004 Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory from someone local for an almost un-believeable price. The other problem that I am having is that I have my Ducati is so customized that it is like a son or creation of mine. I have a Showa Superbike front end, BST carbon rims, Brembo calipers, Braketech full-floating rotors, Ohlins rear shock, Brembo clutch and master cylinder, carbon bodywork, STM slipper clutch, 520 conversion kit, Titanium fully adjustable footpegs, and a Leo Vinci titanium exhaust.
So as can be assumed the bike is setup specifically for my weight, height, and riding style, this makes it even harder to get rid of the bike because it feels like I can defy gravity on the track with this thing. I really have no idea what to do but know that I want an Agusta F4R, but this means I will have to part with my Duc, whereas to buy the Aprilia I do not have to sell it.
Any suggestions or input anyone? Has anyone else been in a similar situation and what allowed them or made them go through with their purchase?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Just don't "over think it". Go with your heart on such a decison. I had been a Ducati guy for over 20 years, riding and racing (still am ), but I fell in love when I first saw the F4 750. I brought the first one into Australia sight unseen (and first to drop it at a photo shoot). It was similar to the 748/916 in style, ergo's, handling, etc but totally different in engine. I was just starting to race an R6 at about that time, so really enjoyed thrashing the screaming MV on the road. And the sound the 750 made was just fantanstic, loved it. But I still like Ducati's too. Aprilia's seem a bit in between to me I think you would be disapointed with that choice. I then brought the first Brutale into Australia, brought it direct from the factory and airfreighted in. Again what a machine. Having owned a Monster for many years this was worlds apart. I recently brought an MV1000, as my race bike now is a Honda CBR1000 RR, and again, I am just blown away by this bike. Every ride is anexperience and I learn new things. I think with the engine, torque and power this has, I have finally let go of my Ducati habit, and replaced it with an MV habit. It will have to be bloody good Ducati to sway me again. I know my mates on there 996's etc are very respectful of the 1000 they can't fault it.
I don't know if this helps, but go with your feelings, and you won't be disapointed, don't make a comprimise, and if you could afford it have one of each and you will be very happy. Isn't great we have such choices to make.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Not very lucky..
1,431 Posts
Going with your feelings seems to have worked for everyone here, especially those of us who posted on the thread of not even riding an MV prior to purchase. Not compromising has always been the way to go for me, even if it ment waiting to get what I really wanted. In the end going with your gut is what will most likely make you happy, even if it is a Ducati :spank: :laughing: maybe you should keep your duc and get an MV later so that way you have both!?

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have a Duc and an MV. From what you describe, you are in love with your Duc. So keep it, otherwise you'll regret it. But you also want an MV, so lust after it and save up until you can buy/afford it without compromising your other passion. In time you'll own both.
I've ridden Aprilias, they are not as refined as either MV or Duc's...
Good luck, and don't betray your first love, just have more of them!!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have been ridding twins for awhile 2 really hooked up rc51's and then a 05 999 i loved it the skinny tank the bike begged to be in corners hard and loved to be ridden hard. But some a$$hole deiced to take it off my hands while i was in bed asleep. It felt so natural ridding it that I told my self I can never ride anything else again. When it got stolen I was so pissed it was like having a dog you really love die or breaking up with a good girlfriend. But I went to the duc dealership and the owner there Kamal was a really cool guy he showed me some things on the bike the bike he told me as far as preformance on speed and pwr was way better then my 999. My mech friends that worked there told me that the fit and finish was way better and I really loved the looks so I said screw and went with it. But the same things you said, except the neautral part were how i first felt. I am 5'10" so couldnt belivie that I couldnt reach the ground. Also the clutch is allot more work than even my RC's were. and it felt so much heavier than my duc from the top. also going from a duc whos brakes I felt were so strong that it could stop my truck to the softer brakes on my MV I wondered if I had made the right choice. But now with over 2500miles on it I love this thing its great it is a perfect bike that always has more to give you. Good luck on your choice this is just my little spill on it but hope it helps. also what someone suggested about waitting till you can afford to keep both that might be smart because right now I am looking for a duc. Vtwins are a really great feeling. Good luck hope you get the one you want.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
you think the mv is tall?

you'll think differently when you try that RSV. that has to be the TALLEST bike i've ever thrown a leg over. i'm 6'2" and don't have a problem with tall bikes, like the MV. but the RSV surprised me. need stilts just to get on it!

but they are all great bikes. you won't go wrong with any of them. although I have has some friends with aprilia RSV that have had SERIOUS problems (blown motors). not sure if that is indicative or just anecdotal.

let us know what you decide and why.

alex

·
Registered
70 Posts
I also had a Ducati I loved...a 749 that I put lots of time, $, and miles into...thought I would want to keep it after I got the F4 1000...now the Duc is sold and I haven't looked back. The Duc is a motorcycle, the F4 is a rocket. 'nuf said.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Welcome Greg, and I agree with your comments about going with you instinct.... as I have said before...cost is long forgotten when you are out on your MV, sun shinning, twisties clean and car free, other riders just in awe and your MV is the centre of attention, and its so good!

·
Registered
379 Posts
No flaming here! Everything you said about the deficiencies of the bike are right on......... apart from the width of the tank stuff........IMO.

TO IMPORTANT ISSUES: Absolutely love your your screen name! What possessed you? What's your connection with 'yer Mon'. I'm a Mick off the boat,- I knew 'yer Mon'.

Please do tell........ as we said in Ireland........ "how's about ye?", and "...conas a ta tu...??".

AND should have thought of it before you..!!

Kevin H.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I own a 748(853) and an F4-750. I can't imagine wanting to sell the Ducati. Sure it's slower than my MV, but I feel it has a spirit that the MV doesn't. Don't get me wrong, I love the MV thus far, but it does kind of feel like a Gixxer in a Gucci dress. I've never ridden my Duc and been able to liken it to anything else. It's always been a unique riding experience.

Because of that, when I bought the MV a couple of weeks ago, I imagined I'd want to sell the Duc within days. As yet, I haven't wanted to. And at the moment, if I'd be forced to make a choice as which one to keep, I'd be hard pushed to pick the MV over the Duc. Maybe that will change, I can't say. (And like you, I'd still mourn the loss of my treasured Ducati.)

Si

·
Registered
225 Posts
kamranmarashi said:
I have a Duc and an MV. From what you describe, you are in love with your Duc. So keep it, otherwise you'll regret it. But you also want an MV, so lust after it and save up until you can buy/afford it without compromising your other passion. In time you'll own both.
I've ridden Aprilias, they are not as refined as either MV or Duc's...
Good luck, and don't betray your first love, just have more of them!!!
I agree if you love you Duke then keep it. I planned to keep my 996 forever but unfortunatel it was stolen. I replaced it with a 03 R1 which was a great bike but very different from a Ducati (never mind he engine configuration) in feel etc. I've now got 400 miles on my F4 1000S and love th bike. It's a lot harder to ride initially than the R1 and I feel very "Ducati like" which is no surprise as it's a Tamburini bike. Also no doubt you already know this but the F4 was originally designed as a Ducati by Ducati. When the Americans took over Ducati Tamburini left with the plans already at a very advanced stage and an engine already tested and built his bike as an MV! So there you have it. I love Ducati and if you love the 916 then the MV is closer to this than a 999! :naughty:

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Dunlop, i thought you had already tried (even had before) the MV F4 and just wanted the F4-R now. :confused:
Anyway....... yeah the v-twin vs 4-inline engine format takes some time to get used to, so if you're coming from several year of v-twin riding it's no surprise that the MV may have felt odd or strange.
With that said, i think you should keep your highly tuned and much loved Duc and perhaps get a second hand MV F4 (not the R, but...), so you can have the best of both worlds :D
I had a 2001 Aprilia RSV-R that i enjoyed, and althought i never rode the last generation RSV's i think they are nice, but......... it's just another v-twin (a big v-twin) and most likely next year a new v-twin for Aprilia will come out, so you'll soon have another old bike in your hands....

Resume:
Keep the Duc and get a second hand MV F4 (it could even be mine :D ) :smoking:

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Explained

khfx said:
TO IMPORTANT ISSUES: Absolutely love your your screen name! What possessed you? What's your connection with 'yer Mon'. I'm a Mick off the boat,- I knew 'yer Mon'.
Please do tell........ as we said in Ireland........ "how's about ye?", and "...conas a ta tu...??".
Dia duit Kevin! I chose the name Dunlop because it is my family name (Chris Dunlop) but I am Scottish. I have yer maun's photo there as a tribute to him. You could be David Jeffries, Steve Hislop, Barry Sheene or Mike Hailwood as they were all excellent riders, rest their souls.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I would also suggest keeping the Duc if you love it so and purcasing an MV later. As a recent (only few months) F4 1000 owner I just have to say this. My love affair with the MV was not overnight. Before making a judgement call on it, truly make sure it is set up to your liking and that you have really ridden the bike. I don't think I'd be overly thrilled with the 750 engine (for the road), though in fairness I've never ridden one but I nowadays very much enjoy able to sit in one or two gears for the majority of a ride and the torque of the 1000 is an absolute pleasure. The front end, the front end is unbelieveable...it is just planted and you will not get this much feedback from any other bike. Many here also own and love Duc's and I myself agonised over my purchase up till the last minute debating between the F4 1000 or 999. I now know without question I made the right decision for me.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Flaming said:
Did anybody said that THERE'S NO FLAMING HERE? :mad:

Are you blind or what? :laughing:

:smoking:
:laughing: :laughing:

I was going to comment about that.
But no one said there's no flaming here, just "let the flaming begin", so..... you better start lighting my fire :naughty: :naughty: :D

·
Living the Dream
2,758 Posts
I say you just sell your Audi and buy an MV. That way you can keep the Duc and get an MV. It never really gets that cold or snows down there so in theory you dno't ever need a car. How did your visit with the law go? :koolaid:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts