MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
MV Agusta Brutale B3 675
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I’m a bit confused because I would replace my Chain KIT, now i have checked and my Chain has 116 links the pinion has 16 and on the rear sprocket 43
now a lot of other MV People told me normally the Standard setting is 114 links with 16 pinion teeth and rear sprocket 43 teeth, is it true?
Maybe the previous owner changed to 116 links?

ore some one of you have also as default chain 116?

I don't know now what it’s better changing to 114 links or leave it to 116 links

Hope you can give me some information's.

Br from Germany
Grazie, Samu

·
Super Moderator
24,108 Posts
I could not find a reference as tol the length of the Transmission Chain in the parts or workshop manuals.

The issue from a chain o flong length would me the inability to properly adjust the chain tension without excess rear hub motion.

Is your chain properly tensioned?

·
Registered
MV Agusta Brutale B3 675
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx for your answer

the tension seams right, 11,2 cm
but it bothers me that I do not know what chain length would be right...

would like to know if it is standard or if the previous owner has changed something... :-(

·
Old Wing Nut
22,185 Posts
If your chain is tensioned correctly, and the hub is not positioned as far as possible one way or the other, then the number of links you have is correct (116?).
To reduce by 2 links may make it impossible to install the chain and have proper tension, even with the hub as far forward as possible.
Get the longer chain. You can always remove links if it is too long. Price should be the about the same.

·
Registered
MV Agusta Brutale B3 675
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, the tension of the chain is right, and I think the hub is not positioned on max position at both sides.

But it is strange that I can’t find out the right length of the chain, most people told me 114 links, but sometimes I can also find out chains with 116 or 118 links.
I will order the 120 links chain and shorten it, but now I don’t know if to 116 again as the mounted one or 114 links.

I have the feeling sometimes the chain hits the side stand although the tension fits, but that can not be even if the chain is too long, as long as the tension fits.

·
Registered
2005 F4 AGO 2017 TVL RC
6,651 Posts
I dont think a 16 tooth front sprocket is standard on the larger bikes. 16 teeth would require a longer chain over a 14 or 15 tooth

·
Super Moderator
24,108 Posts
16/43

·
Old Wing Nut
22,185 Posts
Don't overthink it..... get a chain with the same number of links you have and forget everything else. It's not relevant.

·
Registered
MV Agusta Brutale B3 675
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok I will do it like that, but anyway I will never understand why my bike has 116 links 🙃

1 - 12 of 12 Posts