MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Classic - got taken out by a left turner the other night.

I was proceeding through an intersection on a green light, car coming towards me hooks a left and cuts the corner quickly [he should of stopped] I remember braking and thinking 'bastid should stopped' As the car clears my path I let off the brakes - second car follows the first and I get nailed, Hard, on the left forward side.

There was no time to consider options - it was 'Impact imminent' and more of a 'how to take the hit'.

My bike is/was a DR650 built tall - I like the fact that I can see down the road aways and over the occasional yellow cab. As the car crashed into me I raised up out of the saddle and pulled my left leg - partly a flinch reaction - out of the way. The bike was taken out from underneath me and I Launched into a sky roll that ended up with me becoming his new hood ornament.

Laying on my back spreadeagled - looking at the stars - strangely calm, I knew I had to wait for EMS even though I could move my fingers and toes I had some funny sensations and wanted to go to sleep really badly.

Full trauma situation - cops, fire, ems ride to hospital - you know it.

Cut to the chase.

Trauma team says atgatt's done its thing and I am perfectly ok except they need to get a neck ct scan and account for my some back and neck pain numbness tingling sensations etc.

Now 3 o'clock am ct scan comes back. You have a broken neck C5 vertebra.

possible complete quad. fuck.

'You must be admitted and have an mri, we can't let you leave, we can't let you move, you cannot have anything to eat and no meds, just stay there while we completely immobilise you until tomorrow.....' they strapped me down for the night - I had lots of time to inspect the ceiling.

It's now a couple of weeks later - still wearing a neck brace - maybe coming off this weekend, I hope to make a full recovery and return to normally scheduled programming. [ThankyouGod]

A couple of things:

I was lucky and life feels very good right now - colors are brighter, food tastes better, sun feels warmer - count your lucky stars and enjoy what you have - it can all be taken away in an instant - playing with complete quadrupedic paralysis is a real eye opener.

In an mva don't be a hero and start running around all over the place kicking peoples asses and putting the world to rights - you may be more injured than you think, so start slow makinf=g sure that all your body parts work before you jump up and kick butt.

Have no doubts about you insurance coverage. This little shunt is costing upwards of 40k and progressive does not sell medical coverage for riders -only their passengers and other vehicles occupants - even if you think you have full coverage comp/col etc. Check your bike policy.

I'm glad I was riding an 'Adv' bike - the height and riding position gave me a real advantage to be able to rise up out of the way - my left leg would surely have been mangled if I had been on a cruiser or sport bike.

My highway pegs that everybody laughed at when I installed them acted like a crumple zone and absorbed a lot of the kinetic energy of the hit - looks like the bike is rebuildable.

Accidents do happen - I've been riding for 30 years and haven't had a major incident for 22.

Most collisions happen within 5 miles of 'home' so stay alert and wear your best gear all the time.

Damn I'm glad to be alive and kicking! Hope to be able to do a track day at the end of june - I'm healing fast by eating right and gently stretching my flexibility no laying around and moping with the pain.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Quacker you're a lucky man, and a wise one to boot. I salute you. Enjoy life while you can (like I do) and consider how relative everything is. :f4:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An amendment - If I had been riding the Brute I could still have gotten out of the way. If I had been riding the Brute the f*****r would have been dead now from the ass kicking I'd have given him for f'ing up my bike. Ha!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Q,

Glad to hear you're ok & getting better fast! These situations happen all too often, due to complete carelessness from drivers. Annoys the shit outta me!

I too was made a hood orniment about 6 years ago, from a 70 year old man who ran a red light. Get's better... he had no insurance, registration, license, or inspection. He only got a $550 fine? WTF? The systems broken & not getting better.

We REALLY need to be careful out there.

All the best!
G

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Damn! That sure ain't nice. Nice reading tho(well, it's not nice that you got in accident, but your writing style). Get back to Brute soon.

·
Administrator
20,408 Posts
So glad to hear you are OK....left turning cager is the most deadly predator of motorcyclists. I hope the at-fault left turning cager's insurance is taking care of your bills and lost revenue etc etc.

Your insurance should only kick in when his hits his liability limit.

Again, glad you are going to be OK. Scary stuff.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Out here ...those that are waiting to turn to their right as I approach them is my biggest worry!! Similar to your left turn situation!

Glad you are ok mate!!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just be careful of your neck. I broke mine in my early 20's (about 20 years ago) and it gives me heaps of trouble. If I forget to exercise and stretch my neck and shoulders, I start to get headaches. You can also tell when it's going to rain.
The key is keeping your neck strong after this type of injury.
Also, don't rush in to putting a helmet back on. Let it heal properly first as you will only ever have one neck.

Just my 2 bob.

Cheers,

Dave who knows when it's going to rain (which doesn’t happen much any more here in Oz)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts