MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Or more grammatically accurate: "LEDs are all around us".

This light mod was made on an 800RR.

My original Halogen headlight bulb lasted about two months and as the tailight is LED and I had already replaced the signals with some Sweet LED bits it was time to switch the headlight to LED.

Remove the cover from the back of the headlight pod.

1 Head web1.jpg

Now we need to find/make a new cover that will allow cooling for the LED fan and heatsink.

2 Prep Headlight web.jpg

The dis-assembled LED.

4 LED parts web.jpg

Install LED base. This headlight bulb boot is a VFR800 sixth Gen. part.

UNBELIEVABLY it not only fits the outer groove diameter but will seal around the bulb base and allow for cooling air circulation!

The inner upper ridge needs to be trimmed flush to fit the headlight case groove.

3 Head Adaptor base and Boot web.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Cut a slit in the boot at the top , take the light connectors out of the plug and feed them through the boot.

Install boot in groove. It is a very snug press fit and a (very) little soapy water around the outer edge will help.
A hard thumb press sets it around the bulb base as well.

7 Refit connectors web.jpg

Orient and refit the connectors into the plug.
Install bulb and plug it in.
Seal the boot at the wiring with Urethane caulking or your favorite sealer.

8 Fit LED web.jpg

I taped the plug connection for weather resistance and Zip tied it to other wiring to clear the fan.

LED in place web.jpg

I am told the LED fan etc. is ip67 or so (rated) and is therefore weather-proof although I am not.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Nice! I am thinking of upgrading my 990R low beam.

·
Super Moderator
22,463 Posts
@Amplific: Nice work...and nice photo post for easy to follow directions!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Nice. I installed an led in my old 1090rr(projector) and I think it looked great.. light pattern was pretty good, much better than the halogen, but not quite as good as xenon hids, as I recall I tried both.. I think my stupid xenon ballast for whatever reason(probably the amateur install) would shutoff on big bumps and that’s why I made the switch to led. Ran the led for the year or so without issue before I traded in the bike.

Leds are the future for sure. Cars, bikes, eveything really, even my saltwater reef tank kicks ass with led vs metal halide, which used to be the standard in the hobby.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Also a link to the bulb purchased and any other items needed to make it work (wiring connectors for instance if needed).

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts