MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any specific reasons to get a 1 piece over a 2-piece? It seems obvious that the comfort of a 2 piece would be worth it, but i see alot of people have 1 piece.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Are there any specific reasons to get a 1 piece over a 2-piece? It seems obvious that the comfort of a 2 piece would be worth it, but i see alot of people have 1 piece.

Thoughts?
The "wearing it on the bike" comfort shouldn't make a big difference; a good onepiece scores slightly higher I think.

The "wearing it off the bike" comfort difference is not that big a deal either...; a twopiece makes going to the loo a bit easier.

It's the lack of pockets that makes me prefer the twopiece over the onepiece many times.

For safety: a good twopiece, zipped up, shouldn't necessarily rate lower than a onepiece of comparable quality.

I've got both, made-to-measure from Hideout.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I got the one piece because I never really saw myself unzipping the jacket and just wearing the pants...
I think the one piece is just a *little bit* stronger, so I went that route.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Since I mostly use it on the track, I didn't see the need for a 2 piece.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have a two piece but will probably buy a one piece as well. I think you need both. Will wait for the airbag suits from Dainese and Spidi.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I have both. I have a vanson two piece, the MV Agusta two piece, and some Spyke one piece. (Former Chris Burns leathers)

In order of comfort:

Spyke 1 piece, MV Agusta 2 piece, Vanson.

I will be the first to admit I look like a geriatric power ranger in the Spyke's, but damn, that 'roo skin is nice.

·
Administrator
18,844 Posts
I like my 2 piece leathers so I can take off the jacket between track sessions. Just a little more comfortable when not riding, but still wearing the pants and boots.

My MV Corse leathers I wear on the street are the same way. I can take the jacket off when I stop for lunch.

But if I was racing I would go one piece just to remove that zipper in the middle and any chance of it coming apart in a crash.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for the info. Since i am not a racer, even though i would like to do a track day or two next season, it seems like the abilitiy of a 2 piece is worth it as a good compromise.

For just starting out as beginner leathers, what do you guys think of Alpinestars?

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Thanks guys for the info. Since i am not a racer, even though i would like to do a track day or two next season, it seems like the abilitiy of a 2 piece is worth it as a good compromise.

For just starting out as beginner leathers, what do you guys think of Alpinestars?
"beginner" leathers only make sense for a "beginner" crasher. Buy the best (as for safety and fit, then looks) you can afford; it's yóur body.

As for Alpinestars leathers: look at the pics of the guy that crashed at Jennings, somewhere else on this forum. I wouldn't touch 'em.

·
Super Moderator
21,435 Posts
Just watch for good waist zippers...I reccomend a full circumference sip as the short zippers sometimes do this...

_K5C7977s.jpg

It could just be the Ten Pounds of Sh*t in a Five Pound Sack....

·
Super Moderator
21,435 Posts
That was also a good reason to go this way:

_K5C0072s.jpg

Two piece for the street, one piece for the track.

·
Administrator
18,844 Posts
Definitely full circumference zipper on 2 piece suit. Both my track day suit and my street suit have full circumference zippers.

And I have an Alpinstar track suit. I like it and feel quite confident in it. I know some racers who also use them. Many different levels available.

There are some cheap suits out there I wouldn't wear from most of the brands. Buy the best you can afford. Back in the day when I was racing I wore Bates custom leathers. Wish I could still afford to buy a Bates custom made suit today. Of course, back then we had no armor and our knee pucks were layers of duct tape (the top pros were just starting to hang off and put a knee on the ground).

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
"beginner" leathers only make sense for a "beginner" crasher. Buy the best (as for safety and fit, then looks) you can afford; it's yóur body.

As for Alpinestars leathers: look at the pics of the guy that crashed at Jennings, somewhere else on this forum. I wouldn't touch 'em.

I'd be much happier to crash in my Race rep. A* suit than your suit :)
I would not trust your suit in a million years. :stickpoke

For the track...one piece only IMO
I've seen the centre zip on 2 piece leathers do some serious damage to riders if they slide long enough after coming off.
One piece are far more comfortable while riding fast as well.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Go for 1 piece, the last thing you want to worry about when crashing is the zipper breaking up and your skin making contact with the road...Ouch!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts