MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this is not unique....,as I do all my own work on my bikes., however I was in a local dealership just a couple of days ago (getting some parts for my Kawasaki ZRX 1200r project)

I happened to mention that I also had a MV Agusta Brutale 1078rr ..,and the guy on the parts department told me they had one in the workshop (a 910..he didn't say if it was an "S" or an "R")

Quite unusual as I have never seen a Brutale here other than my own.....anyway he said it was left in as it "wasn't holding the charge..?"

They had spent a little time on it (still not sorted out the problem).........however what really shocked me was when he said ......."His bill is currently sitting at over £1000 at the moment"..!!!:jsm:

And it Still was not sorted..!

I can only imagine just how much the owners final bill is going to be...!!!

It got me thinking that sometimes we take for granted we can work on our own bikes and only have to be out the price of the parts...........but for those guys who don't., then the bill...,even for basic things such as an oil change must be horrendous..!

There is a wealth of information here on this forum and the people on here are only too willing to help with their vast knowledge and experience........please guys use this forum to its fullest and save yourselves a fortune.

Not only that.,but you will get to Know your motorcycle., and actually enjoy working on it..!

Brian:)

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
If it turns out to be a new battery then they have really taken their pants down over that one!

Personally I've always enjoyed taking stuff to bits even if I had no idea if I would ever be able to put it back together. Recently changed career after nearly 30 yrs in the print industry the last 10 of which were mostly middle management and sales, hated it in the end and now I'm a white goods service engineer and back to taking stuff to bits, finding the problem and putting it back together again. Should have made the switch years ago :)

As for servicing my own bikes, I've mostly been in the fortunate position of being able to switch out to a new one every 3 yrs and so for sheer lack of agro should anything go wrong then I've always let the dealer service it, certainly during the warranty period. But my Stradale, should I keep it I'll be doing the basic servicing myself, as for valve clearances? Well we'll just have to see about that? :D

·
Vendor
5,329 Posts
I know this is not unique....,as I do all my own work on my bikes., however I was in a local dealership just a couple of days ago (getting some parts for my Kawasaki ZRX 1200r project)

I happened to mention that I also had a MV Agusta Brutale 1078rr ..,and the guy on the parts department told me they had one in the workshop (a 910..he didn't say if it was an "S" or an "R")

Quite unusual as I have never seen a Brutale here other than my own.....anyway he said it was left in as it "wasn't holding the charge..?"

They had spent a little time on it (still not sorted out the problem).........however what really shocked me was when he said ......."His bill is currently sitting at over £1000 at the moment"..!!!:jsm:

And it Still was not sorted..!

I can only imagine just how much the owners final bill is going to be...!!!

It got me thinking that sometimes we take for granted we can work on our own bikes and only have to be out the price of the parts...........but for those guys who don't., then the bill...,even for basic things such as an oil change must be horrendous..!

There is a wealth of information here on this forum and the people on here are only too willing to help with their vast knowledge and experience........please guys use this forum to its fullest and save yourselves a fortune.

Not only that.,but you will get to Know your motorcycle., and actually enjoy working on it..!

Brian:)
Also very well said Brian.Like you have mentioned if you are not sure on a procedure get on here and ask plenty of questions so you don't make a mistake.:jsm:

·
Registered
467 Posts
I am amazed at how many people pay a dealership to change their oil.
Never in my 52 years have I payed to have oil changed in anything, save for my dry sumped, 11 gallon system in my extremely low Corvette. That is a b!tch.

I had no idea how to approach changing the oil in my new Brutale 1090, but once you lay your head down there and look around, it's pretty easy to figure out.

But yes...this forum is tremendous! :yo:

·
Vendor
5,329 Posts
You have to remember that some people have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever.They just put the key in,start the bike and ride.These owners totally rely on the dealership to do the right thing.Each to there own I suppose.:)

·
Registered
467 Posts
You have to remember that some people have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever.They just put the key in,start the bike and ride.These owners totally rely on the dealership to do the right thing.Each to there own I suppose.:)
Their money. If people don't mind paying the piper, so be it.
I prefer to spend my spare change on more bikes. :)

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
This is so true..,personally I get as much enjoyment working on the bike as I do riding them..... (sometimes even more enjoyment.! :))

I think many people have a fear or are apprehensive in regard to working on their motorcycles as though it is some sort of machine that "you just Don't touch".!

I was amazed that a mate who has a Kawasaki Z1000 was "scared to give it a service"...I urged him to buy the Oil.,plugs.,filters etc and I would come up to his garage (or he could come round to mine and we could do it together).

He bought the stuff ....but "bottled out".! And he "gave the stuff away" when he changed the bike.!!.

When faced with Bill's in excess of £1000.!...etc .,I think it is wise to at least make full use of this fantastic forum and ask some questions availing of the "know how" on here.

Donsy for example produced a fantastic thread containing a multitude of other threads dedicated to tackling in great detail most things you should encounter regarding MV Agusta motorcycles...
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=107834
You could also use the "search" button....check out the "manual" section...or just put up a post and ask a question.?

Basic things such as an oil change or changing the plugs for example pretty much "carry over" to most bikes (yes it is a question of accessibility. ,etc on varying bikes)..but by and large the same basic principals apply.

Check out the "Other Marques" section as there are also are some fairly In depth projects going on such as my own....on a Kawasaki..http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=164753..and Chuck's on a Ducati Monster...http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=166225

Nobody is urging you to split the engine and replace the shell bearings on the crank......but for everyday maintence such as adjusting your chain..,fixing a blown bulb in your tail light..,or giving your bike a basic service such as an oil and spark plug change...etc.,you can save a fortune by just having a little faith in yourself and asking what you are not clear on.

We are here to help......the surgery is open and.., "The Doctor will see you Now"
Brian

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
if i can my crappy 2c, i can change oil on my 2 stroke bangers that don't have an oil filter lol
what scares me is that if i make a mistake it can cost me hugely.

eg, i did a full service on my rs125, a oil filler hose came out and obviously that is some serious shit. The result 2 stroke oil wasnt getting to where it needed ....result engine seized. top end needed $600 later bike fixed.

so in conclusion a simple thing like an oil change if its not done properly can and may blow up an engine, right?
so yep it can be scary to work on a bike if ur not absolutely 100% certain of what ur doing

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
if i can my crappy 2c, i can change oil on my 2 stroke bangers that don't have an oil filter lol
what scares me is that if i make a mistake it can cost me hugely.

eg, i did a full service on my rs125, a oil filler hose came out and obviously that is some serious shit. The result 2 stroke oil wasnt getting to where it needed ....result engine seized. top end needed $600 later bike fixed.

so in conclusion a simple thing like an oil change if its not done properly can and may blow up an engine, right?
so yep it can be scary to work on a bike if ur not absolutely 100% certain of what ur doing
Exactly why I have mentioned numerous times to ask plenty of questions regarding something you are not sure about........,this is the main purpose of forums such as this:)

I am on 3 motorcycle forums...and I can tell you.,you will not get a more knowledgeable or helpful group of members and contributors than here...!

Anyone diving in and tackling a job (Any job) on their motorcycle while not fully "understanding" What they are doing is a recipe for disaster......you could leave a bolt loose on your brake calipers or front discs for example..!

It is Your responsibility to ensure you are responsible and methodical with EVERYTHING you do..!

If you do not feel confident...,then get your wallet out and take it to the dealership.
Brian.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Thats unfortunately what i have to do.
Prob is Brian. I tried. One must try. I failed. I paid the price, literally. Would i make that mistake again on that bike. No. lesson learned. Would i work on my MV no.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Well said Brian.

I fall into the DIY as much as possible too, for all the reason Brian has listed, but also I'm far too nervous hopping onto a bike that someone else worked on. My Brutale looks immaculate when I bought it, but so far I've tightened up dozens of nuts/bolts, replaced a few stripped and missing ones, and adjusted stuff like levers that were obviously neglected.

This is all before you have the hidden 'stuff ups' that dealers have a track record of doing. I got a VW serviced (because it was under warranty), when I got it back they had overfilled the oil by 2 litres, the engine was labouring as soon as I drove out the door, which means they didn't test drive it, and they certainly didn't check engine oil per their itemised invoice.

I don't mean to say dealers are bad, they certainly have their place, but I'm just far too pedantic about bikes to trust any one else working on my bike.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I meet a guy who is clueless about diy servicing his own bike and was dependant on a bike shop. He just had his near new f3 serviced. When I was checking out his bike I notice the 2 bolts holding the hub was sticking out than usual, I told him I think the bike shop for got to torque these bolts and sure enough they were finger loose . thats service for you.

Im inpatient I want all my bike to be worked on straight away and on a week days, as weekends is for ridding.
So That why I rely on my self to get the job done.
I was taught I'm my early teens to DIY everything from servicing to rebuilding engines.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
In general, I agree. However, I even more agree with Mitch's comment as I fall into that category. I can shuffle around 0's and 1's inside a computer all day long but have never been good at mechanical stuff. I am trying to get into it more but my brain doesn't seem to grasp the mechanical part as good as the logical part.

You for sure learn a lot more of the specifics and internals of your motorcycle when working on it, but I think a lot of people question their ability to perform some work such as brakes as they are certainly critical to your health. ;) Having said that, you certainly have to rely on the service department to actually do it correctly or otherwise the outcome is the same.

Luckily for me, I have a friend that knows his way around a motorcycle. His yearly winter maintenance is to take his race bike down to the last screw and build it up again, looking at every single screw and nut in the process. Another friend is the head mechanic/engine builder at my local dealership. I know their mentality and quality of work so I am not concerned to have either work on my bikes, but I certainly feel for other people who are not in that lucky situation.

Finally, to the poor guy with the 1000 pounds bill...after accumulating that much with no result, I would seriously start questioning the abilities of the service department at this point.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
If I hadn't built a Laverda Jota and my F4 I'd have probably turned to drink or worse still watching East Enders and Neighbours.

My spanners are my friends and allies.

This year I'm building a Laverda engine in Ireland. Then I'll build the rolling chassis.
Then I'll register her on Irish plates.
This model stands a good chance of never having been built here.

I'm patient..I've learned patience..in this sense my mechanical work is character building...I've be learned to communicate with and respect others with abilities and knowledge I don't have ...and did learn from them. This has been a cornerstone of this forum.
I remember when I had all but finished the Jota. I bought a new battery and fitted it
Nothing worked.
There were issues with the electrics.
Never a strong area, I found wiring diagrams maze of confusion.
I resigned myself to calling my electrician mate to come snag it for me.
Then I stopped and thought. No, I've got this far so let's at least have an attempt.
I got the manual and printed out the wiring diagrams extra large..and circuit by circuit I got her flashing and tooting and running.

That moment lives in memory where I
actually improved.
Since I have fitted electronic ignition and a new charging system to the Jota which is a task many engineers shy from.

I now enjoy electrical snagging..like some people enjoy crosswords I guess.

When I was a kid I had no money. I wanted a bicycle. So I collected old wheels and a
frame and built one...
Now many years later and nothing has changed really.
Give me a garage and a bike and I'm happy.
Joe

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
When I was a kid I had no money. I wanted a bicycle. So I collected old wheels and a
frame and built one...
Now many years later and nothing has changed really.
Give me a garage and a bike and I'm happy.
Joe
Joe I can identify with you completely ...as when I was a Kid ..,I did exactly the same.!!:)

I was never out of Brian Walsh's scrapyard! in Lisburn (Now long since dead and gone).!

Sometimes the wheels would be different sizes .......and I really wanted a "butcher boys" delivery bike's back wheel..,as it was fatter than the standard 26" wheels I was used to.

I even remember getting an old car "Dynamo" (remember those.?)..,fitting a "fixed wheel sprocket to it .....strapping it to a carrier above the back wheel.,and having a bicycle chain run vertically around the sprocket on the back wheel to the "Dynamo sprocket"

It was powered by a small car battery and two crocodile clips....,also fitted to the rear "carrier".!!

I would pedal the bike then reach round and clamp on the "positive" clip

This was my quest for more power when I was about 12.!!

Then I got an NSU Quickly moped for the "field"....

I guess I have always been "hands on"...for as long as I can remember..,!

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
did your quickly ever go backwards Brian?
Hahaha...,not that I can remember....,in fact I also had a white and blue "Norman Nippy" as well.

We rode the guts out of it (the petrol tank was over the back wheel) and my brother an I used to give our mates "a go" on it round the field for 10p ...and when we had enough we bought another gallon of petrol.

All very well until the neighbours across the road told us to "clear off or they would phone the police.!" ...this was because the moped having no supressor would cause interference with their telly...and they couldn't see Coronation Street or the news properly.,!

Great days..!:)

·
Super Moderator
22,301 Posts
I think that there is a commonality...or continuity(hi Joe!)...between those of us who like to tinker.

I was (am) much the same as a kid (adult?)....:brutale::f4:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts