MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode my `06 910R to indy for the GP. When I got home I noticed a small bit of oil on the left fork leg Not a great deal but noticeable.
Is it possible it just belched out a little oil or do I need to order fork seals tomorrow?

·
Administrator
20,388 Posts
Try this trick....take a soft cotton business card (not one of the glossy stiff ones) and stick a corner up under the seal and pull it around the fork tube and out. Cleans the goop and bug guts out. Or but a Seal Mate to do the same thing.

You may not need to replace the seals, just clean them ( old dirt bike rider trick). I did this last September when my left seal started leaking a bit. Bunch of crud came out on my business card. Proceeded to do a track day and another 5K miles...has not leaked a bit.

And where were you???? I never saw another MV all weekend. Meridian Street Friday night....Gina was the only MV there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Bingo!

Try this trick....take a soft cotton business card (not one of the glossy stiff ones) and stick a corner up under the seal and pull it around the fork tube and out. Cleans the goop and bug guts out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try this trick....take a soft cotton business card (not one of the glossy stiff ones) and stick a corner up under the seal and pull it around the fork tube and out. Cleans the goop and bug guts out. Or but a Seal Mate to do the same thing.

You may not need to replace the seals, just clean them ( old dirt bike rider trick). I did this last September when my left seal started leaking a bit. Bunch of crud came out on my business card. Proceeded to do a track day and another 5K miles...has not leaked a bit.

And where were you???? I never saw another MV all weekend. Meridian Street Friday night....Gina was the only MV there.
Thanks I`ll give it a try. Do you remove the dust seal so you can actually get to the seal I rode over saturday morning and parked in front of the museum. i talked to another guy there on a Tamburini. I rode home saturday afternoon and rode the duc back sunday.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I feel like I am going crazy, I live in Indy, how were there guys from here in my home town and me not know. I saw 2 F4s and had the Brutale there, not on Meridian, was on the Circle. I was parked in the gravel area at Ducati Island right before the big arch if you were walking over from the museum side.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Great idea...

I'll have to try the business card fix. My 2011 Brutale has a left fork leg that collects grime on long rides, it'd be great if this fixes it...

·
Administrator
20,388 Posts
Well...hell....I parked in the gravel lot under the scoring board next to Ducati Island and across from the museum Friday...right by the entrance. Parked on the circle Friday night just off Meridian....Lot 8 Saturday and Sunday.

Walked a zillion miles and looked at bikes in all the lots I got near.....never saw another MV.

Well, I'm home now...next year.

·
Administrator
20,388 Posts
Oh yeah....no, I don't pull the dust seal down.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Another way for the "old dirt bike rider trick" ...
Take a piece of photographic film (very thin and easy to use and the dirt stays in those perforations along the edge of the film).

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
seals?

if the fork seal is leaking.....you have to pull the dust seal down to get at the fork seal:stickpoke

i prefer film or thin plastic over a business card, because you could leave some fuzz off the card in the seal

in over a million miles, never had a leaky fork seal, one bad front wheel bearing and 2 flat tires :drummer:

:f4::brutale:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts