MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oil drain plug has been leaking since the first service at 1000km. Local dealer has replaced the washer, tried a silicon tape of sorts and recently replaced both the washer and the plug with a new unit. The local tech has just returned from Italy, where he underwent factory training, and mentioned this problem. The response wasn't exactly encouraging, as all the suggestions they made have already been attempted, without success. It's all getting to be a bit of a joke now. Does anyone perhaps have a suggestion to resolve this issue?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Slacken it off a couple of turns and wrap some plumbers hemp round it in an anticlockwise direction then tighten up. This will do till your next oil service when you can have a good look.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing ...about to do an oil change ..so i will grab a new washer ..although that sounds like it does Fu_k all to fix the problem

·
Registered
25 Posts
same here, oil pulg seeping out oil. meh.. as long as the plug don't back out and fall off.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
?

It's quite simple......

Either the gasket surface of the drain plug isn't perpendicular to the threads.....

or the same problem with the sump......

Probably the sump

:popcorn:

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's quite simple......

Either the gasket surface of the drain plug isn't perpendicular to the threads.....

or the same problem with the sump......

Probably the sump

:popcorn:
So how do you suppose you stop it then ??
:thewife:

·
Super Moderator
22,639 Posts
A fiber washer would work.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
So my sump plug broke in half the other day when dropping the oil ...
i had put a copper washer on it ..and thread tape and it was still leaking
i believe now that the leak was coming from a small crack inside the actual allen key area
i have sourced an after market magnetic plug from elswhere ..as the alloy on the original
seemed pretty week really and its only got 3/4 threads on it ...
anyone in oz needing one touch base and i will put you onto them
cheers Ado

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
So my sump plug broke in half the other day when dropping the oil ...
i had put a copper washer on it ..and thread tape and it was still leaking
i believe now that the leak was coming from a small crack inside the actual allen key area
i have sourced an after market magnetic plug from elswhere ..as the alloy on the original
seemed pretty week really and its only got 3/4 threads on it ...
anyone in oz needing one touch base and i will put you onto them
cheers Ado
There's quite a few options on the market, as discussed in other threads on here and a very common part, and then there's those also sold by the Forum Sponsors mate. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
There's quite a few options on the market, as discussed in other threads on here and a very common part, and then there's those also sold by the Forum Sponsors mate. :)
Had a bit of a look around ..and couldn't see anything about the actual plug itself ....and the forum sponsors are all overseas and the postage makes the price of such a small item ridiculous ...
i didn't find that the part was that easily replaced ...or found in the right size

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Had a bit of a look around ..and couldn't see anything about the actual plug itself ....and the forum sponsors are all overseas and the postage makes the price of such a small item ridiculous ...
i didn't find that the part was that easily replaced ...or found in the right size

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=177394&page=2

I gave up sourcing parts locally many years ago, so unless you can go to your dealer I'm afraid you might have to look around other bike shops mate.
Maybe try Pro-Bolt ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Some of the husky dirt bikes use the same plug 800073011
my local mv dealer didn't have one ...but the husky dealer had a couple ...
i decided to go with another brand in the end ...hoping the alloy is better than the oem :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My issue should be resolved. The Tech dealing with my bike did a little investigating and noticed the leak was actually coming from what he says is the gearbox cover. On removal he found the seal was broken and that oil was leaking and running down to the lowest point, which made it appear to be coming from the drain plug. Awaiting spares and then we can check. Something to check for others experiencing the same symptoms?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thread resurrection:

Just changed the oil on my Stradale and noticed I now have an oil leak through the sump plug. First time round I used the original washer, got the leak, then replaced it with a new item, but still the leak persists.

Torqued up the bolt as per manual spec (40Nm) so not sure what I've done wrong - there was no leak prior to me changing the oil.

Worth trying some instant gasket sealant around the back of the washer (against the sump)? Or maybe two washers?

Please help! What was supposed to be a simple oil change (as with all my previous bikes) now seems to have turned into a mini nightmare.

·
Super Moderator
22,639 Posts
Personally, I would clean the sump area where the plug seats, clean the plug seal area, sand both side of the washer flat and clean....then reassemble and torque to spec.

·
Administrator
20,388 Posts
Go to the auto parts store with drain plug in hand...shop for a fiber sealing washer. Do NOT over-tighten, use a torque wrench when installing.

Metal crush washers are great and can frequently be reused...but a fiber drain plug washer will accommodate minor imperfections better.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts