MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day,

Noticed over the last week or so a small pool of petrol underneath the bike from the overflow pipe. Petrol level in tank doesn't seem to matter, full or empty. Tank doesn't appear pressurised when I pop the cap. Weather has warmed considerably here. Fittings are metal from Design Corse. I have a new filter ordered from Startwin and the lines inside the tank look good. ???????????

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Deano is it definitely petrol,Very strange actually as mine has never done this,My water overflow has when we have hot weather.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eddy,

Definitely fuel.

Donsey,

I'll check them shortly but where/how is the fuel getting into the overflow/breather?

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gotya,

Thanks Donsey, should've checked out that diagram first.

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Well done Donsey ,cracked pipe inside or loose on the bottom inside connectors,Bugger,why did i not think of it ,just did all my lines to.That will be it Deano for sure.

·
Super Moderator
24,095 Posts
Make certain you use immersible hose when replacing those lines. Buna-N or Nitrile rubber 5/16" single material tubing is used.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
I may be a little challenged technically here but, either of those 2 hoses failing could lead to a full tank of fuel dumping onto my garage floor in the night and blowing the house sky high..Or am I missing something ?

Joe

·
Super Moderator
24,095 Posts
You are exactly right, Joe.

Those two hoses pass from your tank fill, THROUGH the fuel, to the fuel pump plate and then they convert to drain hoses that dump to the ground...right in front of you rear tire by-the-way.

Depending on the mode of (location) failure, the fuel can just let down to a level...or it can completely drain the tank.

Replacement tubing material is key.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
Yes Joe, it has happened to me....

That's bad Richard...Just wondrin' if it makes sense to block the end of the pipes when a bike is in storage say over winter...just in case...

small chance of something very horrible happening..

joe

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Joe, probably better to just replace the pipes at a sensible frequency. Mine started leaking, a little bit so, we changed the pipes in the tank. Unfortunately the new pipe work was not a suitable material and two days later the tank emptied itself all over my garage floor. The poor mechanic was suitable mortified and will never make that mistake again !!

·
Super Moderator
24,095 Posts
The product chosen is key. I used a product recommended by a motorcycle dealership; tow hours into a ride the tank emptied itself onto my rear tire. That will raise your pucker factor. A zip-tie on the drain line got me through a dyno run and home...where I promptly used Buna-N hose.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, both breather hoses split/holed underneath the clamps at the bottom plate. It was only that that stopped it dumping more petrol. Seeking submersible hose today. That's another fault added to the list and sorted.

Cheers

Deano

·
Super Moderator
24,095 Posts
I've got some if you want it. 5/16", thin wall, Buna-N.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Michael,

Might take you up on that offer. Ran around today and all anybody had was thick walled lengths of 300mm only. Nobody had or knows where to buy it off the roll. Checked the net and it's not too common there either. Couple of more places to try and then I'll probably go genuine from Startwin. Pm me how much you want for it mate.

Cheers

Deano

1 - 20 of 38 Posts