MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on a 100 mile round trip on my F41000s and it was curtailed at 50 miles. After about 40 I did some unexpected rear wheel steering on a roundabout and when I got to the destination had a nice covering of oil under the motor, all over the swing arm and on the rear tyre.

On investigation the oil filter was leaking. It was fitted about 300 miles ago and was ok for a track session the week before. I torqued it up (WTF is that about the last bike I had that needed more than hand tight was a '92 900ss) when fitting it and used the plastic clip.

i tried to tighten it with a chain wrench to get me home but it just leaked more so I guess it's now bust.

I've ordered a KN204 as I can't get the choice of decent stuff in the uk (I've read the threads) and that was $17. MV originals are between $28 and $47 which even translated back into £ is taking piss for a tiny, nothing special, oil filter.

I've changed hundreds of filters without issue so I was wondering if this is normal or should I be looking at some sort of oil relief valve problem?

·
Registered
147 Posts
are you serious that hand tight is not enough? unless it's a cartridge-type filter, i've never ever had to torque an oil filter :/

·
Super Moderator
22,044 Posts
Usually hand tight plus an eighth of a turn or so.
Is the o-ring present?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I take it from the responses that this isn't normal then!

I torqued to 24NM as per the service manual. I wouldn't normally bother but the presence of the plastic clip made me think that these are prone to vibrating loose. I'll fit the new one hand tight when it arrives, lock-wire it and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
are you serious that hand tight is not enough? unless it's a cartridge-type filter, i've never ever had to torque an oil filter :/
Time to read that workshop manual then :)

I take it from the responses that this isn't normal then!

I torqued to 24NM as per the service manual. I wouldn't normally bother but the presence of the plastic clip made me think that these are prone to vibrating loose. I'll fit the new one hand tight when it arrives, lock-wire it and see what happens.
No not normal, although I've installed a few K&N filters for friends, there was a batch of them leaking a while ago, not sure if said persons over tightened and tore the nut from the casings, I've never had a problem with them.
The Honda CBR 1000 filter come's with a socket to accommodate easy installation and fit's perfectly, just saying.

·
Registered
14,404 Posts
torquing filters......?

Time to read that workshop manual then :)
Donsy;

who am I going to believe the clowns at MV or the people that invented the spin on oil filter?????? Purolator

gee, I think I'll go with Purolator......having probably made billions of spin on filters in the last ~60 years

their instructions ON THE FILTER; lightly oil the seal and turn the filter 3/4 to 1 turn past seal contact......NO mention of torque values or any stupid clamps

if the geniuses at MV were so smart maybe they would have mounted the filter vertically so I could pre-fill the filter with oil......even BMW finally figured that out

as far as I know Honda, Toyota, Ford and MB still haven't:stickpoke:stickpoke

·
Registered
147 Posts
bmw have cartridge filters in most of their cars now ;)

but indeed, my ducati had a vertically mounted filter on the bottom and that was next to logical also a lot more practical. even my buddies nitrous-injected, bridge ported RX7 with twin scroll single turbo setup, that ran a really high oil pressure, only required the filter to be hand tightened.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Didn't intend to casuse a punch-up :)

For info the one that failed is a HiFlow HF554. I've gone with a K&N this time because the nut on the end makes it easy to torque up and remove again and it's drilled so I can start with hand tight and lockwire it rather than having to fit a jubilee clip to facilitate lockwiring

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Hahaha

No punch up here mate, that's just the way Noel expresses his way for engineers, hey Noel.:naughty:

I assume you read what I mentioned about the K&N, btw, what failed on the high flow, I've used at least a dozen or more on my own bike with no problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I too use purolator from pep boys, great filter for a very low price. $5 and change i think.
In the uk we have a choice of Hiflo, Filtrex, K&N and the std MV filter which start at about £7 and go up to £30 for the MV variant if you buy it from the wrong place! Looking at the info none of these are exactly top class peformers, but I rarely go much more than 1000 miles without an oil and filter change!

Got the bike back from where it had to be left last night. The filter has a hairline crack in it, and it looks like I made it worse when I tightened it a bit more in an attempt to stop it leaking!
I've never had that before, but at least it looks like a simple issue with the filter and not an oil pressure problem.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Odd...had the same thing happen to me this past weekend. I'm a few hundres miles to my next oil change so the filter has been on there for thousands of miles already with no issues.

My bud and I stopped for gas/coffee/pie (Julian apple pie!), and when getting back to the bike, I noticed a decent pool of oil right under filter. Reached down and it was loose! Retightened by hand and had no issues on the ride home. Got home and prob put in less than 1/2 liter, but it didn't even need it all....no leaks afterwards

I usually do all my oil changes (all cars and bikes) and do the 'hand tight' routine...this was a first for me. Purolator filter.

·
Super Moderator
22,044 Posts
A simple warranty against an oil filter loosening is to use a suitably sized hose clamp situated around the filter with the adjustment screw left in contact with the motor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts