MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone had a problem with their F3 leaking gas? Mine started a while ago when it was leaking coolant, I took it to the shop and they told me they couldn't replicate the problem, they fixed the coolant leak and put the new map on. They said I might have filled it up too much. I went for a ride last weekend and rode it till it was almost empty. I've just noticed tonight it's been leaking gas. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks
Declan

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Id be treating this very seriously rather than thinling its something to deal with at the next service.

It warrants close inspection... A weak point is the plastic connector at the fuel pump base plate but it could be any one of a number of reasons.

Hope you find it.

Joe

·
Registered
43 Posts
Please, please, please read the thread on the MV which caught fire.
you don't want the same thing to happen to you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
mine had a nick in the overflow tube that runs inside the tank from filler thru tank to drain at bottom of bike is it running out of the overflow tube ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it is coming out of the overflow tube. I have never taken the fairing off so not from hitting a tube or anything.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
it is coming out of the overflow tube. I have never taken the fairing off so not from hitting a tube or anything.
If it's coming out of your overflow, then it's not really your tank that's leaking. Is it constantly running out, or just after you overfilled the bike :stickpoke

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's pretty much constantly. I filled it up last week and done a track day. I just noticed it dripping from the overflow yesterday. (Saturday - 6 days later) it's a slow drip but a drip nonetheless

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol...sorry thats all the information I know. I don't rely know anything about the mechanical workings, I usually let the mechanic do all that. I'll have my mechanic check those first. It wasn't happening when I was at the track, it was on the side stand when I wasn't riding it, but at home I have it in a chock so it's upright. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SOI finally got an answer on this. My dealer said it's something to do with the gas in California, it makes the tank expand and leak. They are getting me a new tank from Italy (under warranty) so I don't have to pay for it. But they are asking if I want to spend $375 to have it coated o it won't happen again. I haven't heard of this happening so I can't imagine it happening again and I am wondering if they just want some money from me.

Thoughts?

Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Declan, I think you need to do a bit more reading around the forum man, there are lots of people who's had this issue on MV's as well as other brand bikes using Ethenol based fuel. Get the tank coated.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
SOI finally got an answer on this. My dealer said it's something to do with the gas in California, it makes the tank expand and leak. They are getting me a new tank from Italy (under warranty) so I don't have to pay for it. But they are asking if I want to spend $375 to have it coated o it won't happen again. I haven't heard of this happening so I can't imagine it happening again and I am wondering if they just want some money from me.

Thoughts?

Thanks guys
Here we go again, yet another, different “official” answer to the tank question. :wtf:
I’m waiting for a replacement tank for the deforming problem. However, I was told that the new tank has a liner to prevent the ethanol problems. Not that it’s a coating, or that I’ll be charged for a coating.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Here we go again, yet another, different “official” answer to the tank question. :wtf:
I’m waiting for a replacement tank for the deforming problem. However, I was told that the new tank has a liner to prevent the ethanol problems. Not that it’s a coating, or that I’ll be charged for a coating.
Stay calm Stephan, different dealer, different Country, this can mean many different things :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Stephen I will check with my dealer and see what they say. They did tell me it won't solve the problem. But they also said the gas tank has a five year warranty so I may not get it coated and see if it has improved at all.

The joys of owning an MV :)

·
Super Moderator
22,087 Posts
Declan, ethanol is ethanol and it will be absorbed by your new plastic tank and the tank will again deform.
As long as MV and other manufacturers (Ducati) continue to use the particular plastic compound they are currently using it will be a problem. Some have found relief by using a tank coating. That price seams a bit steep for it...especially given the fact it is a manufacturer's issue.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Stay calm Stephan, different dealer, different Country, this can mean many different things :)
Sorry Donsy, I know my posts of late have been rather kneejerk-ish but, I see red with every new report of the same old problems. Even more so when the answers differ within the same country! :wtf:

Stephen I will check with my dealer and see what they say. They did tell me it won't solve the problem. But they also said the gas tank has a five year warranty so I may not get it coated and see if it has improved at all.

The joys of owning an MV :)
I too was told that the liner is not a guarantee but the five year warrantee is news to me.

Declan, ethanol is ethanol and it will be absorbed by your new plastic tank and the tank will again deform.
As long as MV and other manufacturers (Ducati) continue to use the particular plastic compound they are currently using it will be a problem. Some have found relief by using a tank coating. That price seams a bit steep for it...especially given the fact it is a manufacturer's issue.
Don’t get me started on Ducati’s problems… :ahhh:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts