MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I smell coolant and my boot was covered I think it's coming from the 90 deg fitting in front of the foot peg...anyone had a similar problems? Advice please.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If its on the left side of your bike then look at the water pump , theres a wheep hole on the back side that leaks coolant when the seals in the pump fail

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with Dimitri.au - first few times my 1090 got hot in traffic it caused coolant to leak from the overflow pipe on the left of the bike - coolant level is mid way between min and max now and it no longer overflows when hot

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That explains th coolant but upon closer inspection I also found an oil leak on the left side

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That explains th coolant but upon closer inspection I also found an oil leak on the left side

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Checked coolant level looks like the reservior is about empty....I've only had the bike for a week took it for a longer ride and all this happened when I was checking it out after. It seems to only leak when riding

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Checked coolant level looks like the reservior is about empty....I've only had the bike for a week took it for a longer ride and all this happened when I was checking it out after. It seems to only leak when riding
Tony,

Fill the header tank to the specified level. leave the cap off and start the bike ..let it warm to about 80 deg C..don't let it boil. Some air will bubble up.. Stop the engine. Lean bike to left as far as you can..say 45 degree angle. Refit the cap. Use the bike for an hour or so.
Next time you take the bike out repeat the exercise.
This will let the air bleed out. In my experience this can't be done in one go.
I give this advice based on my own experience. I'm not a qualified motorcycle mechanic but just a bit of common sense applied.
joe

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I smell coolant and my boot was covered I think it's coming from the 90 deg fitting in front of the foot peg...anyone had a similar problems? Advice please.
Tony, check for hydraulic fluid leak from clutch slave cylinder..and have a peek at your clutch fluid reservoir level. The seal in the slave could be leaking...possibly..just a theory.

Sump bolts also come loose ...particularly around the side stand bolts is an oil leak area.

joe

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since the bike is new and I've only had it a week I trailered it to the dealership. I am no mechanic I can do basic repair but given it's under warrantee and I am not familiar with the bike yet I didn't want to bet my bike on my limited knowledge. Thank you all for the advice.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Ditto to the above, I also noticed that the water level when warm is a lot higher up the tank. It is now on minimum when cold, and no longer dribbles out the overflow tube.
The oil leak is a known for early build numbers, slight ridge where the upper and lower crankcases meet under the left side crank cover. Easily fixed with gasket stuff, or for the detail personality freaks (me) dress the offending bump carefully with a grindstone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so when I get the bike are there any other known issues on the 2010 990r I should be watching out for? Again thanks.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Tony, it's a common thing on the Brutale's. In my experience just fill the tank upto min. Everydrop above min, your Brute will "pee out" when getting very warm.

Take the girl for a slow busy traffic ride. If the temperature's ok, no problem!

If it's not... Let us know !

Suc6

Cheers,

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts

Tony,

Fill the header tank to the specified level. leave the cap off and start the bike ..let it warm to about 80 deg C..don't let it boil. Some air will bubble up.. Stop the engine. Lean bike to left as far as you can..say 45 degree angle. Refit the cap. Use the bike for an hour or so.
Next time you take the bike out repeat the exercise.
This will let the air bleed out. In my experience this can't be done in one go.
I give this advice based on my own experience. I'm not a qualified motorcycle mechanic but just a bit of common sense applied.
joe
Hi Joe
The Brutale's don't have that problem, only the twin rad F4's.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Ahem, beg to differ Donsy, after delivery mine dribbled, gurgled and burped for the first few trips until the air bubbles had gone and the coolant level worked it's way down to a happy level - 1/2 inch off the bottom when cool.
Absolutely [email protected] myself after a trip caught in traffic, get home and hear the thing making sounds like it's boiling. Only happened once.
4000kms and I still check it every stop - only slightly paranoid...can't get used to having a 'header' tank that is pressurized and doesn't like being run under minimum level.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Ahem, beg to differ Donsy, after delivery mine dribbled, gurgled and burped for the first few trips until the air bubbles had gone and the coolant level worked it's way down to a happy level - 1/2 inch off the bottom when cool.
Absolutely [email protected] myself after a trip caught in traffic, get home and hear the thing making sounds like it's boiling. Only happened once.
4000kms and I still check it every stop - only slightly paranoid...can't get used to having a 'header' tank that is pressurized and doesn't like being run under minimum level.
You said it yourself mate, it only happened once and came out by itself. The F4 have a completely different system and although I never had problems with air-lock's, quite a few guys have. Very seldom on the B4's and a lot easier to sort.
Most common problem on the B4's are people overfilling them, I know, I did it on mine too. First instinct when you see it lost some coolant was to add some more.

·
Registered
14,574 Posts
leaker?

OKC Tony;
the 90deg elbow going into the water pump has 2 bolts holding it in, make sure they are evenly tightened......the elbow must go squarely into the pump or it can leak.....check the lower right screw in the cover ....its the drain screw does it have a gasket on it? is it tight?

:f4::brutale:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts